THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Let's try this .270 Winchester bullet thing again

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's try this .270 Winchester bullet thing again
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Question:
O.K., we are almost there, but the 150 grain partition has become a small fly in the ointment so to speak, so lets take the top two choices, throw in the 150 grain partition and see where we end up.

Same application as in the original post.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Choices:
150 grain Nosler Partition
140 grain Nosler Partition
140 grain Barnes TSX

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I still voted for the 140 TSX. I've had plenty of experience with them and the partition. TSX penetrates better from my experience.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
I can only vote on what I have used in the .270 on Elk..The 130 Nosler and the 140 Trophy Bonded.Both exceptional bullets with excellant results.I may even lean towards the 140 grain TB but the 130 Nosler has more experience in my .270.

I'm sure the Barnes is a great bullet but I am not an experimenter on bullets.I keep what works for me..

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 270 WSM likes the 140 grain Barnes TSX and the 150 grain North Fork best of all, and the 130 grain North Fork is only a smedigen behind. I voted for the Barnes, but I would not hesitate to use the Nosler Partitions if they shot best in my rifle. The worst thing you can do is pick a bullet (either brand or size) that will not group well in your rifle, and then say that the rifle will not shoot, try several sizes and brands before you give the rifle thumbs down. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
With my 2 -270WSM, they loves the 140gr. Accubonds. The TSX group not to back either. Shot elk with the Accubond over past 2 seasons...dead-1 shot, from 100 to 250 metres in distances. Thenew XP3 bullet @ 150gr should be devastating also!

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
I had the same question for myself this last fall. I called Nosler and the rep recommended the 140 gr. Accubond.

Personally, I didn't yet have full confidence in a lightweight, tipped bullet.

After trying 160 gr. partitions (@ 2860 fps) which didn't group better than 2", I tried 150 gr. A-frames. They came out the tube in the neighborhood of 3000 fps and, more importantly, grouped an honest 1/2".

I will say this about the Partitions. I like the idea of the front core being frangible and throwing shrapnel in the initial wound channel. I'm not sure this would make a real-world difference, but I wonder about it all the same?

Good luck to your nephew!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted for the 150 partition but any of your choices with a well placed shot will do the job. The partition is kinda old world but they have taken MANY an animal.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure of the BC of the Nosler 150gr but it's been my experience that the 150's don't shoot as flat as the 130,140's. The 130's can start out about 3100'/s the 150's about 2900'/s. Even though the have a hundred or so more lbs. of energy, I like the flater trajectory. Just my preference. We usually have some fairly long open shooting. If you have to pick one take the 140gr. Nosler....

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
I used Partitions for twenty years and they always did the job. Then I tried Barnes X bullets about ten years ago first the XLC and now the TSX. Their is no comparison the TSX is more accurate, they penatrate better, and they just kill better. I wouldn't shoot another partition if you gave it to me the TSX is superior in every way.
If you dont belive me put yor Outdoor Life and Field and Stream down. Get in the field and shoot something with the TSX, and you will see for yourself.

Dr B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TSX all the way

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to use the Partitions, until I tried the X. No comparison. The TSX just flat out kills better, especially on elk.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only used Bitterroot on Elk with great
results.Perhaps you can locate some of them.
you will not be disappointed. thumb

Posts: 714 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jaycocreek:

As an old man(76) I can tell you that when I was a kid I either heard or read that the 270 simply didn't handle heavier bullets than the 130 gr. very well. I have no "technical" proof of that whatever -but your first hand experience seems to suggest that it may be true. (I love the 270 even though I never hunted with it and am always glad to hear that the 270 is killing a big animal like an elk. Gee! Haven't you heard? You're supposed to use a magnum!) Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote