Find
Notify
Tools

My New York
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I was born and raised in Lake George/Queensbury part of New York and am now stuck in Missouri, you don't know how bad I miss it. You try to tell some people here how good the hunting and fishing is in NY and they don't beleive you, I even had one old woman at work say "Don't all the bright lights scare the fish" like all of Ny is one big city!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
My dad was born in Breakabeen and Grandpa had a farm outside of Cooperstown, my mother's mother (and her sisters) had a place near Sabbath Day Point on Lake George that had been in the family since 1880-something. It IS beautiful. Unfortunately, the anti-gun laws keep me away. Canoing and fishing just aren't enough to counteract the relatively unrestricted gun laws here in VA. Fortunately, while we don't have the finger lakes we do have the Blue Ridge and Alleghany mountains!

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
That's my stomping grounds... about 10-20 minutes from Cooperstown. People talk about the baseball hall of fame and ask me if I've eve been to Cooperstown, i say.. "Oh.. just a few hundred times." [Smile]

[ 04-28-2003, 05:06: Message edited by: cas ]

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nick;

You have made me very homesick. I grew up in South-central PA, Gettysburg to be exact and spent most of my youth roaming the Appalachians. Beautiful mountain country similar to your photos. I'm all grow'ed up now and live in Sydney, Australia, while a very beautiful city, I just can't adjust to the constant noise, light and clamor. I have teamed up with some fellow "redneck" yanks here and we get out of the city to the high-country at every chance and sit the verandah sipping bourbon and smoking cigars, reminiscing about the "good ole days", back in the "States", huntin' and fishin'.

Hang on to those moments, they are truly a gift from above. I spoke to a fellow American today and he said, " Living here in Sydney, has made me appreciate every waking moment that I ever had in the US, from the simple things of seeing the first spring robin hopping across the yard to the frosty crunch of leaves at dawn on the way to the deer stand."

While many of you here gush about Africa, which I have not yet been too and I am sure is absolutely magnificent, if you are fortunate to live in the North-East US and hunt white-tails and stalk brookies, I can tell you after living in other parts of the world, it is a singular experience and one you miss desperately if you are unable to participate in because of time and distance.

OK, I am homesick;

P. Lynn Miller

Posts: 11 | Location: Sydney, NSW AUS | Registered: 28 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Lynn Miller,
Thank you for that. I couldn't agree more.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
Hobie,

At least I could carry a pistol in NY something I can't do in Missouri.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Pumkinheaver,
Now, how can you expect to get a permit for a concealed weapon in the "SHOW ME" State? [Wink] [Big Grin]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
I lived in NY my entire life (but when I was in the marines), Never saw all the beautiful places until the family and I started hiking the 46 high peaks. We finished them and saw some of the best country in our state. Avalanche pass is a hike anyone who visits the adirondacks should take.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pumpkinheaver:
Hobie,

At least I could carry a pistol in NY something I can't do in Missouri.

Well, I can carry here but I couldn't in NY.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have a friend... spent time in all almost all 50 states, Alaska and Canada, all over central and south America... all over Europe, China and the pacific rim.. Australia...

He gets to my hunting camp in the Catskills and says.... "Wow... it's really beautiful up here."

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nick and CAS, I agree whole heartedly. I stayed on the Island for about three months each year for three years, doing contract work for the LIRR. On the weekends I would roam the state. Not that there aren't some pretty places on the island, there are (Montauk comes to mind), but following the rivers up through the Catskills lets you see some beautiful country. I live next to the Rockies, but there are places just as pretty in the NE. CAS, thanks for the Port Jeff shot. I spent a bunch of time there in the RR yard and thereabouts. Good seafood and beer. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote