Notify
Tools

Bozeman Area Members
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Couple of things:

First, I just bought some property outside of Manahattan and will be building a home there.

Can people recommend builders? architects? graders? well diggers etc?

Second, I plan on being there during the week of Thanksgiving and may try to pick up a whitetail doe tag do a little hunting. Anybody know any public land within an hour of so of Bozeman?

PM or email me etc

Thanks,

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I moved from Jersey to MT back in 1979. Absolute best decision I've ever made. Hell of a way of life.

One request....... Forget CA and leave it behind. So many people move out here and immediately try to turn it into the same mess they just came from. Enjoy Montana but leave the way of life and lifestyle alone.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Welcome to your new home. Must agree with FN, Boz-angeles is getting to be quite a bummer after all these years, seems everyone wants to turn it into something its not. Manhattan's the place to be in this valley, IMHO. We moved away from downtown Bozeman 7 years ago, very happy to be closer to Belgrade/Manhattan and out of the "hip, vibrant and aware" zone. Makes me want to go back to Billings some days.

As for builders, architects, etc:
Are you generaling the project or is the builder going to be the general? If the builder's doing it you don't have to worry about the details of the grading, well, etc.. You'll save very little money, in reality, if you general it yourself. Most contractors have all the work they can handle up in Big Sky, but most prefer to work around Bozeman.

Ron Schmidt is a great builder, as is Taylor Construction. Lots and lots of wanna-be general contractors out there, you get what you pay for.

Intrinsic Architects is tough to beat. They've done several of the new subdivisions, work on all kinds of home styles and have done excellent work on several very nice homes. Lots of other good architects, too.

If you bought in Gallatin River Ranch take a look at the other homes there and find out who the builders are, very nice homes in that development.

If you need a construction loan, talk to my wife (shameless plug)!

There is some state land along the Gallatin near Manhattan, get the 1:100,000 map from Yellowstone Gateway in Four Corners and you'll find it. Local state sections get hammered, but there are tons of does. You might have luck asking land owners if you tell them you just have a doe tag.

Good luck, welcome to Montana!

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in Three Forks(10 miles west), let me know when you arrive and what you'd like to do. There are plenty of wt does to take and if you just want meat I'll take you to the edge of town and you can take your pick. Not really hunting, but if you're trying to fill a freezer then it's easy and you can drive up and pick it up without too much effort. If you'd like to do more of a hunt than I can help there as well. We have many farmers and ranchers out here in the west end of the valley that will still allow people to hunt.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all I will drop you guys a note as I get close to getting there

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Welcome to the Gallatin Valley -- subdivision capitol of Montana! I agree with FN's advice. Also, like mt Al posted, the little bit of public (or State) land in the valley bottom gets hit hard. Most of the whitetails are found in these valley bottoms, and are mostly of private land. Permission for a doe isn't too hard to get.

As for a place to shoot, our Logan Range about 6 miles west of Manhatten is one of the best in the state. 4 Skeet fields, 6 Trap fields, covered benches on individual pistol and rifle bays to 100 yds, and the main range with berms and target stands from 100 to 450 yds. Membership is very reasonable, and we have open Skeet and Trap shooting on Wed evenings and Sunday afternoons. Come any Wed evening and look for the old white faced Golden Retriever (Buffy) by the Skeet fields, I shouldn't be too far away. I'll show you around, and get you shooting.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Nice choice for building a home. Everytime I drive by, I want to stop and look for some hay ground to buy and relocate from the big city (Billings).

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Mike, sent you a PM...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snapper-you know me, I can help you find a new home over here!......grins

Plus then I would have another callin pardner as nutso about callin dogz as I am.

Did you or Anna draw any good tags this year?

Thx

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark, how you doing?

I pulled a 313-10 Elk tag. Thats all for us. What did you get?

One of Us
Picture of HUNTS
posted Hide Post
I suggest you be very careful in choosing builders, subcontractors, etc. With the building boom going on there are lot's of new guys in the valley who are ripping people off.

Many of the best are so busy that they are booked over a year out. I have seen some very bad things happening to folks who are building/remodeling in the last few years.

Good Luck!

Posts: 161 | Location: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike, my friend (and co-worker) bought some land in Wise River, MT on the Big Hole River. He is under construction right now on a 7,000 sf home and should finish sometime early next year.

I don't know how far it is from Manhattan, MT, but I know that my friend has been pretty happy with his contractor so far. Let me know if you are interested and I will ask him for his contractors name.

Take care,

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I'm surprised that no one mentioned you have to be a Montana resident for 6 months before you can buy a big game license. Sad and somewhat questionable, but it keeps most of the temporary riffraff out.
Hank

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Hank,

There are over the counter doe tags available to non residents.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get a pretty fresh one off I-90 if you watch the ditches and look for magpies!! A lot of wt's @ Three Forks as well if you need the trigger time.

Posts: 101 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
highjacking the tread a bit.

Just wonderd, you guys who live in Montana, just wonderd how Big Sky is? Tried to find pictures of it online, but looks like a very small city, but beautifull country!!

I just found out my grandmother was born in Big Sky, Montana, then moved back to Norway. I belive she was born there 80 or 90 years ago.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Big Sky: Far different now than it was 80 years ago!!!

Here's a recent history:
http://www.bigskyresort.com/aboutbs/bs_ch_abs_bsh.asp

Here's the little (very little) I know.

In the early 1900s there were some dude ranches in the area, mostly along the Gallatin River.

15 or so years ago I had the unique opportunity to spend several days in the cabin of one "grandpa Roy Walton" who died several years ago at about 105 years old. One of his cabins was on Buffalo Horn just outside of Yellowstone park, the other very close to Big Sky. He had quite a few pictures of the Big Sky area back in the '20s and '30s. He also plastered his cabin walls with Playboy centerfolds from the early days, but that's s different story. Karst Stage (still in business) would haul people from Gallatin Gateway through to Yellowstone Park, the Big Sky turnoff was one of the places to stop. According to him, before the ski hill went in place, the lower Big Sky valley was a great place to hunt elk, mule deer and moose.

I went as a kid a few times in the late '70s early '80s, a few cabins in the lower Meadow and a decent ski hill. Now its a crazy construction boom and plays a huge role in the Bozeman area economy, has three ski areas (Big Sky, Moonlight Basin, Yellowstone Club).

Very beautiful place, excellent hiking right off the road, can't blame anyone for wanting to move there. That's all I know, there's got to be much more to it.

come visit some time and someone from here will glady show you around.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Nortman,

Check out this link to the offical MT web site for pictures.

http://mt.gov/Photogallery/Default.asp

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted elk a few times just south of Big Sky. Nice country and lots of elk tracks, but I never saw the elk!!!! (weather was too nice and they were staying in the black timber). Big Sky is nice, but bring lots and lots of money with when you go there!!!!!! I think Chet Huntley owned quite a bit of it many years ago and his property was the site of the first ski resort.
Be careful driving between Bozeman and Big Sky. I have almost run into a few bighorns on a few occasions.