quote:
Originally posted by StormsGSP:
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
What kind of woman are you looking for?

If you like sheep--Wyoming

Hippies--Colorado

Chicks that will share their Copenhagen--Montana

Looking for a woman that provides heat in the winter and shade in the summer--New Mexico

That's the funniest thing I have read on this forum.

Was thinking something like this:

Shut your eyes and they all look like that Big Grin

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RavenR- Just looking to hunt muleys with my son. Region F in WY can get us a couple 2nd choice tags to hunt from Thermop to the boarder of MT (in general units). Tough hunting when I have gone, but a great reason to head that way with my son. Looking at doing it next fall (2012). His first big game hunt will be this Sept on a WY doe antelope and then we'll see if he can cut his teeth on a Utah muley. That will be enough for a 12 year old's first year.

Hopefully the hi-jack and all the banter about bucks and ladies will take Graybird's mind off of not ever being able to draw a Henry Mtns deer tag. Graybird, hope you draw a great tag this year and shoot a giant.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
No problem MC! What I really want is a Henry Mountains Buffalo tag!!

StormsGSP, stay away from Northcentral CO, like where Drummond is from, because there are some true hippie areas up there! Southern CO is more normal!

DesertRam and raven, Nice bucks you have there!

Here is the deer I took in 2009. I should be able to pull this same tag this year here in CO. Not too shabby for my first CO mule deer. Being from Okla, it's mostly whitetails down there. I have NO problem hunting this same unit, as I get to hunt with my buddies.

I started this thread really looking more at some of the units I'd like to hunt outside of CO.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
Southern CO is more normal

Be VERY careful in Trinidad

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
Southern CO is more normal

Be VERY careful in Trinidad

LOL!

Posts: 664 | Location: TX/KS | Registered: 06 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
The reality is that most point system draws that are worth a damn are getting awfully crowded. Yes, you can hunt "less premium" units in other states and draw quicker but how many people can know those diverse areas well enough to not have to hire an outfitter? Do guys really think it is worth it to "spend" their points on non-premium areas they don't know well and then not hire an outfitter? Frankly, that seems like false economy to me. You are likely gonna spend the money one way or the other...or likely go home empty handed.

I personally hunt some species by buying tags over the counter and taking my chances (sometimes I get lucky, sometimes I don't). I hunt other species by throwing down the cash and paying for a landowner tag and outfitter (great results there historically). I "hunt" still other species by putting in year after year knowing that I just need about 5 more years for max points and then I will get my shot.

Another good point made in this thread is that you can go hunt Red Stag or Sika Stag in the UK for a fraction of the cost of a premium elk or even deer hunt these days. Chasing moose in Newfoundland is also surprisingly reasonable (If you aren't all into hunting for B&C score). Even Africa is still a bargain. $300-$400 a day and an average of maybe $700 per animal makes Namibia in particular a steal. Of course, some guys have to spend $20,000, or spend 25 years trying to draw a tag, to hunt the biggest elk in the country...and there's nothing wrong with that either. It's all about individual priorities.

JMHO