New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two simple scope tests
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here are two simple scope tests you do to check your scopes adjustments.
First of all you must of course shoot steady.
Try this test at 100meters or yds.
First shoot two shots ,make 20 clicks up,then two new shots,20 clicks right,two shots,20 down,two shots and at last 20 clicks left.Now you
should have a fine square.
To doublecheck you can also do this backwards.Compare the squarewith how much your
scope is supposed to move per click.

Another test, if you have a variable scope let us say a 3-9. Shoot first 2-3 shots at 3 magnification, then shoot 2-3 shots at 9 magnification.There should be no change of impact.You can also try at 6 magnification.

Iam sure a lot of you guys have tried these tests,if not try them!

[ 07-30-2002, 03:49: Message edited by: Hjortejeger ]

Posts: 162 | Location: Norway | Registered: 28 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Wink] Will this work with a Leupold scope or only with Swarovski's? [Wink]

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the commercials for both brands are correct it should work for both Leuopold and Swarovski.But i dont think 20 years old Swarovskis or Leupolds will pass these tests. If your scope doesnt have clicks just try 5-6 inches on the adjustment scale.
Leupold improved these adjustments in 1984, and Vari-XII got a c in its name.I found this information in Leupolds site.BTW i think Leupold have the best site of alle scopebrands.Very informative.

[ 07-30-2002, 03:51: Message edited by: Hjortejeger ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hjortejeger : I tried the test with my Leupold, and all I got was a smily face
like the this one [Smile]

Just kidding! I didn't try the test, because my scope/rifle are ready for moose hunting. Moose season starts in September.

[ 07-30-2002, 06:11: Message edited by: Ray, Alaska ]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your rifle holds zero leave it alone.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with 1894.

Unless you're going to use the adjustments, like in killing pieces of paper at 600yd. But that's probably a different forum.

Both of my Leupolds passed.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The same test can be done more accurately without firing a shot. Simply use a scope boresighting device and observe the relative movement (or lack thereof) on the optical grid. This reduces the error due to sighting errors, parallax, wind, inaccurate ammunition, erratic trigger let-off, flinch, mirage, and a whole host of other group-dispersing evils to zero.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek!

Of course you can try the tests your way,but you have no recoil in a boresighter.I have seen the reticle falling apart in a Tasco 1-3x20 only after 5-10 shots with a .308win .Iam not sure if i can trust a boresighter,maybe i can?
As John Barsness says in his book, page 137:...it is a disheartening experience to check the scope setting,remove the collimator,and then stick it back in the muzzle.Often the collimator screen shows that your rifle has shifted impact several inches in those few seconds.The only way you can make sure your rifle still shooting spot-on is to shoot the thing.So do it!"

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
And it's so much more fun to shoot instad of doing something else with your rifles!

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray

lucky you, I wait until October

[ 08-01-2002, 16:14: Message edited by: rockhead ]

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted Hide Post
will the same test work for iron sight's, cause some of us can't afford these new fangled toy's you call scope's.

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote