New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: "AR" BISON HUNT PICTURES
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
damnit, why didn't anyone call me!!!! you drove through lincoln and no one calls me!!!!

come on man... that's just not cool!

great pics man... I've spent the equivalent of YEARS out there. beautiful country.

I'm incensed!

nice buff dude!

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
Great story, nice pictures. Is Ray going to set up another one next year?

one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
Excellent story and pictures - I could imagine myself following along. Should make a great blanket and a few hundred wonderful meals! Congrats!!

Brad

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the descriptive story,Palmer
nice bull.Sooner or later I will have to get that thick blanket myself.My freezer is getting empty and needs meat.

sheephunter

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
As I recall, this hunt was conceived by Judge "Ern" and booked by Ray Atkinson as an AR gathering where various exotic double rifles and/or Sharps rifles would be used against dangerous Bison in Northern Nebraska. The Judge even promised to make an appearance in his infamous pajamas.

Unfortunately �when the roll was called up yonder� I was the only AR guy there. I know Ray had a credible excuse but am not sure about the Judge or the rest of you. There were a couple other fellows there that were hunting pheasants with their beautiful Brittany's and Ray had booked in the Alaskan Master Guide/Outfitter Phil Shoemaker. Phil brought his wife and another couple who were on their way to Las Vegas to get married.

The only problem I had with this hunt was having to drive past the Cabelas in Kansas City, Dunns in Grand Island and yet another Cabelas in Kearney in order to get to the ranch. This required various financial sacrifices to the Gods of Hunting in order that the hunt could proceed with their blessings.

Also passed along the route was the great state capital building in Lincoln, Nebraska. I�m sure everyone will be as fascinated with it as I was. Begun in 1922 and designed by the famous Bertram Goodhue of New York City, its concept is quite unique among state capital buildings. A flat base represents the prairie land of Nebraska and the soaring tower inspires the goals and dreams of the early settlers.

The hunt took place at the huge by midwestern standards (50,000 acres I believe) Comstock Lodge at the Nebraska Wildlife Ranch Co in Sargent, Neb. owned by Gary Koyen. It has an Orvis endorsed lodge. Each hunter has their own bedroom and bathroom and it has a fabulous great room and two big screen TV rooms. We arrived in a snowstorm and the staff treated us to one of the best super bowl parties one could ask for.

It snowed throughout the night so all the old tracks in the snow were gone. None of the guides had seen the buffalo we were hunting for more than two weeks so we had to start looking for them from scratch. That was good.

Gary suggested that he and I begin walking the East section of the ranch while Phil and his guide concentrate of the West section. Gary and I ended up walking about 7 miles in the morning and another 2 or more in the afternoon of the first day without cutting one track.

Phil�s wife Rocky was with us for the after lunch hike. Here she is saying �they are all hunkered up out there somewhere.� She is a tireless walker and must have taken notes from Saeed since she just wore tennis shoes.

Phil Shoemaker kept us from being skunked on the first day. About noon he and his guide crossed a track and followed it to a lone buffalo bedded down in a wooded draw. It must have heard or seen them coming because he had to shoot the buffalo on the run. His iron sighted 458 Lott by Tanglewood Custom Guns promptly dumped the buffalo which turned out to be a unique and beautiful dark chocolate colored one that everyone who seen it admired. Sorry I wasn't there to get a picture of it.

As we started the second day of hunting the trees were covered with frost and everything was bedded down. Notice the bedded whitetail in the center of this picture.

The sky began to clear and our hopes increased as we started to see elk and deer moving. Another front was to come through at midnight with more snow. We needed to find some tracks today because the next and final day of the hunt would be started with all the tracks covered up again.

Gary suggested we walk to one of the sections no one had been in yet. As we emerged from the trees into an open prairie area Gary spotted 10 buffalo out in the open. Our stalk finally got us within about 200 yards of them. We were out of cover and couldn�t get closer so I sat down in the snow and we picked one out. Gary suggested to shoot it in the lung area to avoid damage to some of the best meat. The 300 grain A frame made a wet thump as it struck and the snow and ice flew off the hide leaving an obvious mark. The bull shuddered and took 3 or 4 quick steps forward then fell over. Gary said �he�s pancaked�.

As we stood up something happened that I never expected to see. Instead of running away at the shot the rest of the herd came up to the fallen bull and made a defensive circle around him. A couple buffalo inside the circle began to prod him with their horns trying to get him to stand up. Then they all began to walk away from us. We walked up the hill to where the bull fell and much to my surprise he was gone. Gary�s quick count confirmed that he was walking away with the rest of them - but which one was he? Then we noticed one peeling off to the side and walking slow. It took two more shots through the lungs to drop him again.

They estimated him to weigh about a ton. When you approach one of these bison only the words �noble beast� seems appropriate. Even Phil, who is used to seeing big Brown Bear was amazed at their size. I�m the square headed guy and Phil Shoemaker is on the right. I used a .375 Mauser with a 3 power Leupold scope and 300 grain Swift A-frames loaded by Superior Ammunition.

Many thanks to Ray Atkinson and all the staff at Comstock lodge for setting this up. It was a challenging hunt and everyone there definitely earned their buffalo.

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Palmer,
what a fantastic hunt and story. How did those swift Aframes perform for you, and did you recover any?

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Noble beast indeed! He looks huge! Thanks for sharing your hunt.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote