New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short season...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
But fairly interesting. Took a buck opening weekend with my .357 Maximum Martini Cadet, and took one today with my Siamese Mauser in .45-70. Yeah, I know, opposite ends of the scale... Both one shot, dead on the spot, kills. 180gr JHP Rem factory in the Max, in the .45-70 I used 50grs of RE7 behind the Hornady 350gr RN. Nice, comfortable load in the Mauser. Although you can't maintain the sight picture like you can with the Max..
Anyway, didn't draw a doe tag, so that's it for me. The wife still has her 2 tags, but she probably won't hunt this year.

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Pedestal,

Congrats on your short season! Mine was also short. Since New Mexico gives us only 3 or 5 days to rifle hunt, I usually take the first legal buck I see. Also, deer numbers are less than 20% of what they were 15 years ago so each buck you see could be the only one you see in 3 days of hunting hard. I hunt in the Lincoln National Forest, Sacramento Mts. of the southern part of the state. Anyway, my buck was one of those "I just happened to be in the right place at the right time" things so my NM season was exactly 30 minutes long. Sure am glad I bought a Texas hunting license as well!

Later,

[ 11-09-2003, 21:34: Message edited by: ACRecurve ]

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote