Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Accubond bullet Falure.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted
I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow. Pretty much a perfect mushroom. You can use your imagination until then

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i don't know about bullet failure, but i have never seen an exit hole that size in my life. to me (and probably ONLY me), that's too damn much.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UUUHHHH, I guess if you want a bigger hole, you could load the hollowpoint with a compound of fulminate of mercury, or the old trick of black powder in the cavity topped off with a primer, but DAMN!!!!! that is serious meat damage.

beautiful deer, BUT, that is why I like by big heavy slow mover bullets. With the .358Win or the 45/70 you can pretty much eat right up to the hole. Haven't seen an "exit hole"that big since I had a gangbanger who took a contact blast from a dbl bbl 12ga with both bbls tripped at the same time. Now... THAT was impressive also....

(ADDED TIP... IF you are a gangbanger and you are fronting off to a rival gangbanger re- a turf war, and the one has a 12"bbld sawed off stuffed into your midsection, do NOT call him a "BITCH" and tell him "you aint got the balls to do it man, c'mon pull the trigger BITCH!!!!")according to the eyewitnesses who would talk to us.

That is why we have "discussion" boards

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Shot this buck last week in CO with a 140 accubond traveling about 2950 fps out of my 280. It hit ONE rib on the way out, it never made it past the skin. I got the bullet or what was left of it and I would veture to guess that it weighs in the neighborhood of about 55-65 grains. He was shot offhand at about 80-90 yards. Killed him stone dead, but... I was expecting a little diffrent results. I did shot a cow as well with the same gun and 160 Accubonds, hit her in the spine right above the lungs, it pulverised her spine and exited. Dead is dead! But these new "wonder" bullets don't appear to do much that a cup and core wouldn't do.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Oh I don't have a problem with the hole either... The problem is I can spend half to a third the money to get the same results... I was just expecting the hole to be ya know golf ball size or so... like most non-varmint bullets..

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I can't say that I have EVER had an elk run more than about 20-30 yards after being shot in the ribs. After being shot with a, dare I say... Sirra. Most all have dropped with in a step or two. THAT to me is what a bullet is supposed to do. Put them down fast not prolong their experience just so you get an exit hole... for what? A blood trail??? Why the hell would you need a blood trail, when you can dump em on the spot with a good shot? Personally I think "premium" bullets are over rated AND over priced.

Well, you are not on the wrong track at all. I've mentioned this in some posts a few months ago, but I've had plenty of outfitters out west tell me to use 'something soft' for elk. I've also had other outfitters tell me not to even get on the plane unless I'm shooting at least a partition or A frame or Barnes or Failsafe for elk.

I specifically asked one guy in Montana, "what do you mean something soft?" (I already told him I was shooting a 300 RUM).

He replied, "something like a Sierra, or Hornady...nothing fancy, no plastic tips. Just the plain old lead bullets. They kill the quickest. Just don't hit bone."

So, I said, "well, what bullet wt.?"

He said, "well, I shoot the same gun you shoot and I load 165 Sierra HPBT gamekings. They kill elk just fine."

I called Sierra. They recommended their 180 Prohunter first, then the 165 HPBT because it is a 'double wrapped jacket.'

So, you won't ever read any crap from me if you choose to hunt solely with Sierra bullets. But I aim for bone most of the time. And quite frankly, I'll shoot whatever works.

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The back shank about 3/8-1/2" long was found just under the skin on the off side with a perfect mushroom twice the diameter, along with a bunch of copper and lead shards.

Ivan,

Can you post a picture of the bullet that you recovered?? There are some of us who would like to see it. Thanks.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my mule deer had a little smaller hole than that. both shots broke the left shoulder. you should see the hole that a 200gr. nosler out of a 338 does to 80 pound deer. i can fit my fist in the hole an not touch the sides, and i dont got small hands.

im going to keep using them. nice buck by the way.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Nice buck! Awful big hole for a "failure"!

--Mike

Uhhh, I was kinda thinking the same thing. That hole sure is a good size.

Oh, well, he got the buck and it is a dandy.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I think Nosler has to go back to the drawing board and come up with a tougher jacket for their lighter (ie. 180gr. .30 cal vs. their 200gr. initial version) bullets.

This should not be the result from a premium bonded bullet- mind you dead is dead.

Absolutely great buck !!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
This kind of leads back to what I said in CanadianLefty's post. I don't think Nosler has the research & development into the new bullets (7mm - 140, .308 - 180) that they had into the original offerings. It sounds like your 160 (original offering) performed as advertised and designed. It looks like this clearly did not. I, as well as many others I'm sure, would be interested in you posting a pic of the recovered bullet.

BTW - Nice Buck

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ivan, in my opinion, no, the bullet did not fail. one shot, and you are skinning and dressing him. no failure. that's my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

the bullet obviously would have gone further if it would have still had to go through the deer, the elastic action of the hide absorbed a LOT of energy. i am currently reading jack o'connor's book, "THE ARt of hunting big game in north america," and he mentions this as being a pretty common thing, even abck in the 60's. as for two holes, better blood trail, etc., looks to me like you didn't need it, and this bullet would have anchored the animal with just about any hit except in the guts. in that case, no bullet will perform well, no matter how many holes. my experience is that gutshots don't bleed much because the guts poke out and plug the hole.

the bottom line, to me at least, is that if you are sure of your shot, the chance of bullet "failure" is reduced dramatically.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ironbender
posted Hide Post
Nice buck! Awful big hole for a "failure"!

--Mike

Posts: 113 | Location: In the shadow of the Kenai mountains. | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote