Find
Notify
Tools

Dozier Knives
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted
Any of you have any experience w/ Dozier knives?

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I have had great success with Dozier knives. I have used my K-6 with exhibition grade stag to gut and skin a couple of hundred animals and it's the best knife I have ever used. It will start to rust if you don't take care of it, but that's a small price to pay for a knife that keeps a razor edge reasonably well and sharpens easily.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think I'm up to 14 Dozier knives as of right now. I have a few other customs from some excellent makers, but for a flat out hard working knife, nothing beats a Dozier. Dozier's heat treatment of D2 is remarkable. The Dozier knives take a toothy edge and hold it for a long time. Doziers Kydex sheaths are top notch and fit the knife with vault like security, yet provide easy and quick access. Go over to www.knifeforums.com and www.bladeforums.com and run a search using "Dozier" as your keyword. I think you'll be impressed. Here's some eye candy, a stag Dozier K4 Straight Hunter:
 -

Posts: 12 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
GC,

That is one beautiful looking knife! What would something like that cost? Does he make traditional leather sheaths as well?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys. I have been using a Cold Steel Carbon V hunter & I am thinking of treating myself to a KS-4 & wanted to know if they are worth the money. I'm more of a gun guy than knife guy, I appreciate your thoughts. Sounds like the order is going in.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dozier knives are excellent, GC said it best with his description of toothy. In my experience the D2 blades will not take the fine razor edge your cold steel will but they have stayed sharp enough for two deer without touching up. For the best results use a medium diamond stone to sharpen. This will not put a fine polish on the edge but will retain the "micro-serrations" D2 is known for.

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Fred,

I had AG Russell make a Morseth drop-point hunter in '77, and I have been using it since. A good knife is a pleasure to use. You will have to provide a report on the Dozier.

I still buy knives from AG when I need one. I collected for a while, but gave it up to go hunting instead. [Wink]

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I'm a big fan of Bob Dozier's D-2 blades, I think that I'd go for the O-1 tool steel used by Randall knives! The price of the Randalls is the best deal going today for a handmade knife of this quality. ALSO, the stag handles are just about $30.00 more than the leather that many of the Randalls come stock with and if you know what's happening with stag and the resulting price you know tis is a fantastic deal. Just my 2 cents! Get what you feel most comfortable with but I just had to remark about the value and quality of the Randalls ! !

Posts: 45 | Location: Ft. Myers | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fred338,
I bought a Dozier Master Skinner from AG Russel a few mos ago. Everyone was right, the D2 steel is excellent. Sharpens quickly yet holds an edge. I skinned and quartered a bull moose a couple weeks ago and never had to resharpen while in the field. Just be sure to wipe it down with oil after you clean it.

-

MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
I've used a Dozier KS-3 Professional Guides Knive for 6 years now and am very satisfied.

I can skin, gut and quarter several wild hogs or deer without touching the blade.

As described by others above, the D2 steel holds an edge well, but is not difficult to resharpen.

To see the complete Dozier knife product line, visit his website at www.dozierknives.com

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote