New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mmSAUM Vs .300SAUM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just while I'm playing with the idea of putting a lightweight rifle together, I was wondering about the caliber of chioce.

The Remington Seven S/S has got a lot going for it as far as I can see and is offered in 7mmSUAM and .300SAUM.

The 7mm obviously has a little less punch, though the tradjectory, at lest according to my tables is the same.

What advantages does the .300 have over the 7mmm?

The possibility of loading 220gn bullets for short range shooting at larger game?

I can't think of a good reason to go with the 7mmSUAM other than the possibility of less recoil.

What is the consensus of these two calibers I have no expreience with?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Exp., I have been tossing this very same question around myself. I like the M7 package and I am a big 7mm bore fan, but I think it will be too close to my .280. I would be buying one for high country elk or goats & sheep. With that in mind I would probably go .300SAUM. It would be plenty flat shooting w/ 165gr or 180gr bullets and pack enough punch, w/ the right bullets, for elk in close. I think bullets longer than the 180gr are going to push into the case cap. & restrict your vel. so I would stay w/ the 165-180gr bullets.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Express,

I have went through a similar delima. I have always been a 7mm fan. This was before the short fat cartriges were out. My mountian rifle was a 7mmRemM. I wanted to rebarrel it and I decided on going with a 30-338 instead. Initially the reason was that a 308 dia. barrel is supposed to be lighter(although not by much)than a barrel with a smaller dia. bore in the same contour.
Did I notice the difference in weight? No. What I did notice was how flat shooting and effective a 165gr. 308 cal. bullet can be. My all time favorite 7mm's hold nothing over this combination.
You also get better performance per grain of powder with the 30 cal. then you do with a smaller bore on the same case.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote