New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 SAUM Vs WSM in 24" barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am just playing with an idea, but how much is there between these two cartridges and do they perform well in a 24" barrel as opposed to a 26" as for most magnums?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
I have a Rem Model 7 in 300 SAUM and a Savage Model 14 in 300 WSM. The savage has a 24" barrel and the rem barrel is 22" if memory serves correctly. The WSM shoots about 300 FPS faster than my SAUM. Part of that obviously is the 2 inches in length. I like them both and wouldn't cross the road for the difference in them. I think both would be fine with 24" barrels for hunting use.

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The wsm has just the tiniest bit of fps and knock down power than the saum.

Well polish my balls and serve me a milkshake!

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I have the 300 SAUM in a 26" bbl and the 300 WSM in a 24" bbl. Despite having a 2" shorter bbl the WSM will blow the doors off of the SAUM. The WSM has a good bit more capacity than the SAUM.

To be honest I'm not really impressed w/ the SAUM in velocity now, it's accurate as heck in the rifle I have but, I'd be just as good w/ a well made 30-06. I'm getting velocities w/ the SAUM very close to that of 30-06 loads.

The WSM on the other hand gives me velocities the same as the 300 Win Mag. For Example, I'm getting 2940 fps w/ a mild charge of 66.5 grains of R22 pushing 180 NBTs and I can very easily get them over 3000. My 26" 300 Win Mag will achieve those velocities but, it takes much more powder.

I think Winchester has Remington beat hands down in the Short Mag Category. The SAUMs will soon be a thing of the past IMO.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote