New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turkey Decoy Setup
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any decoy setups that have proven successful for them?

I am looking to pickup a decoy setup for this spring but need to figure out which decoys to pick up in terms of poses, etc.

Breeding hen and a jake, feeder hens, etc.?

Any help?

Posts: 294 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 17 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I use decoys I use a hen or two and a Jake in different poses.

In heavy woods I don't use decoys.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I hunt public ground with other hunters in the woods so I don't use a bearded decoy

Run and gun hunting has cut my gear down over 25 years to no calling devices and one hen colapsable decoy

6 shells and a small set of limb cutters

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't generally use decoys anymore. One reason is that I prefer the "run and gun" method, at least after the first couple hours of shooting time, and don't like to carry all that stuff with me. The other, and more important, reason is that I have had too many experiences of a tom coming in over a field or other open area who sees that decoy and then gets hung up out of range because "she" won't close the distance to him. I admit I have never tried a decoy setup with a jake or a tom, which might solve that problem. As has been said, however, using a jake or tom decoy on public land could be pretty dangerous.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep when I run and gun no decoys and a single wing bone call

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry a featherflex feeding hen and jake even when I run and gun. They weigh nothing, but give me the option if I think it is needed. Sometimes they pull in a cagey bird, other times they just pull in coyotes. Every day is different.

On public ground, I don't think that I have ever used them. I usually let the other guys push the birds to me. If a bird is gobbling in a tree you can hear the army of hoot owls converge on the poor thing. I set up silently up hill from that bird, and usually shoot him as he sneaks off.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to use a hen(s) and a jake.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I use a hen only. I have seen 2 year olds shy away from even a jake decoy. If they have been recently whipped by an ole bird they will see the red head and that will be the end of story.

Besides I don't like all that baggage.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1371 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First, check out the Avian X decoys. Best I have ever used and not by a little bit .

I have multiple hens in different poses. Typically use a single feeding hen.

Whether I use a jake or not depends on what is going on with the birds. If they aren't going off, no jake for me. When they are going off, I will use a jake particularly when hunting a dominant bird.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use two hens and a jake for decoys.I set a pop up blind on a field edge.I like to call .I set up near a roost area a couple days before my season and put out the dekes out the night before.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the feather flex brand decoys 2 hens and a "bubba" jake. They collapse and pack easy and weight next to nothing. Pretty decent movement with a slight breeze. I don't use them early in the morning when calling to roosted birds. If I don't have any success early, I head to an open field/pasture around 10:30am and set them up on the side of the field on a rise if I can find one. Then sit just inside the woods and give a few clucks, purrs and yelps every so often. I have had really good success doing this as most birds when they hit the field will migrate up towards the decoys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
aviam x decoys are nice they are not the lightest but damn if there not realistic. i had one bird whip the s it out of my jake decoy this year

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my Avian X. They are the best.

I was recently in TX for a Rio hunt. I had limited room. I took a Funky Chicken in addition to an Avian X . A gobbler attacked the FC decoy. It worked.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^^

I am with larryshores. The Avian X are the way. I like the feeding hen and the jake set up a little way apart. The big gobblers seem to me to go right to the jake.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I generally just use a single hen. My daughter calls her Della the sexy decoy.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote