New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Long range hunting Part II
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
for ME, i would say 250 yards. time and practice might improve this range, but i doubt i will ever take a shot over 300; at least, not knowingly....

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300 yards max. I'm lucky enough to have a place to shoot at distances of a mile or better, if I wanted to. I practice shooting at 100, 200, 300 and 354 yards every year. The 300 and 354 yards keep me humble and any game animal beyond that safe and sound.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
What Tailgunner said. The only thing I will add is caliber / Bullet weight (my max shooting distance goes down with my 257 WBY compared to my 300 WBY).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good answer. Quoting numbers from a keyboard is one thing, looking over cover, position, wind, and visibility in the field quite another.

I don't mind tracking as much as I do mind carrying a deer back from someplace he ran. Best to keep the running to a minimum after the shot.

Posts: 14389 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's start over. How far do you think is about your maximum range in a hunting situation. capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
With my open sighted rifles my max range is somewhere around 100-150 yds., it would depend on the game, conditions and what kind of rest I could get. With scoped rifles I can't imagine ever shooting past 300. My longest shot ever has moved up to 240 yds., but I had an excellent rest on a dead calm day. My farthest shot that I would consider from a "field position" is 160 yds, kneeling, with a sling.

I've hunted in the mountains of Arizona back in the 80's and had plenty of opportunities at deer from 400-600 yards across a canyon, and never even thought about pulling the trigger. What with swirling wind, elevation angles, etc. it's just to much for me to try to guess. I am also very happy to say, that although my limits may seem consevative, I have not had to use more than 1 bullet on any animal since 1999. And I haven't had to track one more than about 100 yd.s in the same time period. '99 was a particularly bad year, I made a horrible shot on a deer at about 85 yd.s and spent hours tracking until I could get a final shot on him. I felt really bad about the deer going through the suffering for that long.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very well put..........my max range has varied from something less than 30 yards to just over 300. I have the guns and equipment to allow for longer shots but I choose to make more of the hunting than just shooting.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted Hide Post
Taking into consideration weather and wind my max distance would be 250 yds with my 300 wtby, and that's from a prone position like shooting from the bench. What I can do at the bench and what I can do in the field without a firm rest are 2 totally diffrent things.

Posts: 156 | Location: NY | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote