Find
Notify
Tools

Food Attractants That Really Work.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted
Sporting goods stores have rows of food attractants for whitetail deer this time of year. Are there any of these that really work? Around here people swear by corn and rice bran. I'm sure real foods like that work, but what about this other stuff, e.g., C'mere Deer, Acorn Rage, Buck Grub, etc. I'm curious if you have definitive proof that some of these products work.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey there red, Ive talked to a dozen or so people and they all say that the c,mere deer works very well, for hunting and attracting deer to game cameras. Ive also heard about the Trophy rock and that works well also, they carry those in cabelas. Im going to use some cmere deer here in mid november right before our opening day of rifle seaon and see what happens.

Posts: 163 | Location: York Pa | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Attractants that work in one area may not pass muster in another.

Where I hunt, I can assure you that C'Mere Deer does not work in the least bit -- that the deer won't even touch it, even when available food sources are minimal. I even contacted the company about this, but my e-mails from over a year ago were never returned.

Some may claim that whatever you put out has to be familiar to the deer, but that's not the case, either.

There are no apple trees anywhere around here, but put out some apple-scented pellets, and the deer will literally fight for it.

Trophy Rock is a mineral lick and does not possess the same attraction as food-based products.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
where i hunt we tried many brands of food plot seeds and blocks some hog stuff also ,we just plant peas and wheat and oats and it works better and we have a little bit more cash in our pockets.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
they all pretty much work here.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you best results will be to use either corn or some type of protein feed.

If the deer are used to corn then mix the protein feed and corn 50/50 for a while.

When I got the deer and pigs and turkey on the protein feed, after about a year I noticed a better overall condition and taste of the meat on all 3 of the animals.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does it take some time for deer to aquire a taste for products like Comeer Deer or do they take to it right away? For the guys that have used it how long do you put it out before you actually hunt that spot? It seems strange that some claim they come to it like crazy and others say they woun't come to it at all. For those that have been sucessful getting deer to come to their attractant how did you put it out?

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
a bag of sugar beets works well.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
We have a old Pecan orchard on one of our places. Thats the orginal Comeer deer!

I've tried many of the products. I have found a mineral supplent mixed with some apple flavoring and mollasses works well. about 1/5 the price of some of the other products.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
We've tried several gimicks and none worked. Cmere deer and deer cocaine are worthless here.

Planting peas, wheat, or oats and using corn has proven to be the absolute best attractants here. I just planted food plots and set out feeders yesterday.

I like to have a couple of these set-ups on our place to hold the does in the area.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I`ve used loose corn and sliced apples.
Sliced apples add give off a smell of "lets
eat." Where legal of course. Smiler

The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but the experience.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Reloader wrote:
quote:
Cmere deer and deer cocaine are worthless here.

Ditto for here...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Belive it or not, deer in my area come to "Hog Wild". I have accidentially trapped deer in my hog trap (which, belive me, is major pain).
I guess they just like the sweet smell.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ryan-

I have a larger hog trap -- maybe 4x10" or so -- and recently baited it as the hogs were active again. Last Friday morning, I was watching from the house as deer were working their way around it.

It was baited with corned and Hog Wild. I kept thinking "don't do it..." just as I watched the door shut closed. Two doe and a yearling were in it, and I nearly broke an arm as I held the door open and one of them violently pushed it further back.

So I guess it's back to my old reliable (fermented) recipes to keep the deer out of there...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Corn to a deer is like chocolate to the average human. They all like it.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No kidding. You ought to see what they did to my irrigated circle of corn.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote