Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Whitetail Outfitters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted
Next season, I'd like to venture to the Southern part of the state for a trophy whitetail. I'm considering the King Ranch but from what I've read, you have to stay in a motel. For that kind of money, it would be nice to stay in a lodge and get pampered a little. Don't want to hunt anything high fenced.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Carter's Country in Houston. (2) Trophy ranches, (1) at Honey Creek (Hunt Cty) if my memory is correct. (1) full Spainish land grant in Webb County.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
Don't want to hunt anything high fenced.

That will be difficult. There is virtually nothing of any size in S. Texas which is not high fenced. The place might be so big that you'll never find the perimeter high fence, but it will still be high fenced. And chances are that even if it not itself high fenced that it will have one or more sides adjoining a high fence.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look up mulie mike on this site, has a thread going in the hunts offered section. He has some free range deer in Ozona area and other places. Hard working and straight shooitng guy.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am pretty certain B. Carter's Webb county El Sombrito ranch is also high fenced.
A good contact for S. Texas Whitetail hunting is a gentleman named John Austin.
The King Ranch and the Kenedy ranch are great places to hunt if you can afford such, but the reality of it is all of south Texas is quite expensive.

Formerly Rae59
1 Trillion seconds = 31,709 years

Posts: 155 | Location: Almost anywhere in The Great state of Texas | Registered: 31 December 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
A good contact for S. Texas Whitetail hunting is a gentleman named John Austin.

I leased through John for quite a few years and spoke to him just a few months ago. Worth your time to talk to him.

http://www.cochinahuntingclub.com/hunts.htm

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF the ranch is 10000+ acres in the brush country, does a high fence really matter ?

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would depend on how many hunters there are in my opinion and "how it is hunted".

Formerly Rae59
1 Trillion seconds = 31,709 years

Posts: 155 | Location: Almost anywhere in The Great state of Texas | Registered: 31 December 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I wanted to thank everyone for their recommendations. I decided to get on the 3-5 year waiting list for the King Ranch.

I did book a free range Axis hunt in June with Desert Safaris. Now I need to figure out what gun/caliber/load to bring.

Trying to decide between Winchester Featherweight 7-08, Ruger 77 in 6.5x55 or my trusty Kimber Select 257 Roberts.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote