THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Non-lead bullets - is this where we're heading?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-lead bullets - is this where we're heading?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.lapua.com/Naturalis%20leaflet.pdf

Copper bullets? I wonder what will be next after copper is found to have some possibility of a more than negligable toxcity to some marginal eco system.

Aren't there natural lead deposts? Shouldn't these be identified and "cleaned-up" before we worry about the odd hunting bullet within some hillside.

Its worrisome to consider having to work-up new hunting loads with bullets that must be ~ $1/pop. I bet improved tracking skills will also need development. Steel shot doesn't work nearly as well as lead shot = more wounded birds, but at least they're not dying of lead toxicity. Maybe tree huggers would consider more wounded deer a noble and worthy sacrifice for reduced heavy metal contamination.

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I sure hope not. I am a black powder cartridge shooter and use only pure lead and lead alloy bullets.

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it is for marketing more then anything and besides everyone should hug a tree now and then J/K. I suppose the lead shot from duck hunters is what caused all the trouble with birds and other animals it couldn't be the lead in the Pesticides they used to use.

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hi

this is a other one copper bullit

Posts: 13 | Location: Vienna & WMU-47 ON. | Registered: 14 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dakor,

I think you are a bit parinoid about this. Lapua is simply marketing their bullet. The market will decide whether it is successful or not. Copper bullets are nothing new. How long have Barnes X's been around and I've never heard of any issue of crippling losses with them.

The problem with lead shot and waterfowl has to do with the birds picking up shot from shallow water. The shot ends up in their gizzard and lead poisoning was a very real issue. Compounded by the fact that ducks and duck hunters are more concentrated. I see that as no issue with big or upland game.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote