THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    WA bull shot in unit closed to shooting bulls - Poaching or not?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WA bull shot in unit closed to shooting bulls - Poaching or not?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted
and for God's sake, STOP NAMING ANIMALS!

http://www.yakimaherald.com/ne...39-53981ae0fc80.html

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. hoping this doesn't turn into the disaster that it has been on other sites

2. according to dictionary .com

Poaching:the illegal practice of trespassing on another's property to hunt or steal game without the landowner's permission.

so I would say it is a case of poaching since it was shot on ground that is illegal for the taking of a branch antlered bull

Posts: 178 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 14 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
I agree Tim629. I've seen this story in other places and it's gotten a little weird. seems to me like the guy was in the wrong, as the WA state regs clearly state raffle/auction tags are only valid in units open to branch antler bull hunting. The unit the bull was shot in is closed to branch antler bull hunting. It's said the group got phone permission from Morgan Grant from the game department, though it's unclear if Mr. Grant is able to override the game regulations as written.

I was hoping others might take a look and point out different viewpoints on this topic.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
During a thread on another forum it was brought up that this is not the first time this individual has violated game laws.

Personally I am of the opinion rules are rules, everyone should play by the same set.

I seriously doubt they will be able to get Mr. Grant to testify that he indeed gave phone permission to hunt the closed unit, even if he did.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks like a good enough reason to stop the buy an elk program.
I have been against the auction tags since day one.
if they wanna give away a special permit then pick a previous year tag holder and give him one.

in fact I'm against buying your way into a hunt of any sort.
that includes hunting leases and paying to hunt on a ranch.
hiring a guide in another state I don't have a ton of problems with.
but in my opinion it's the same as just paying someone to babysit the elk herd [or take pictures of deer number-6] until you get there.

hunting phssh.
hunting is showing up and putting in the leg work and effort, and sucking it up when you get nothing.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a problem with the governor tags, let the guys with some $$ "donate" a bit more to the cause and give them a reward for doing so.

granted, not the reason one should feel compelled to donate to a cause but how many of us would donate to a cause on an average day, but when that cause throws in a gun raffle, cash raffle, ect.... many will donate a bit more. so same principal just on a larger scale.

as far as calling one person to get permission to hunt in a closed unit that one is a bit of a hard stretch for me:
-if it indeed is true, why was the whole animal removed from the harvest sight and field dressed in another location
-who is Mr. Grant to give permission to change the rules of the game? I would want that in writing from my lawyer, signed by Mr Grant and notarized before I would feel comfortable pulling the trigger in a closed unit ESPECIALLY when I know I'm already under scrutiny from previous hunts

so my personal opinion is still that the animal was poached, but will hold off on hard judgement until the fellow gets his day in court which hopefully will be a few level headed hunters in that jury to listen to the facts presented and base their decisions from there

Posts: 178 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 14 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Tim629. I have absolutely no problem with the hunt donations, as long as the funds are actually used by the game departments for operations and not political lobbying, or some such.

This, to me, is a clear case of poaching. He was in a unit he should not have been and illegally shot a bull Elk. Even if Mr. Grant gave him permission on the phone, I seriously doubt he is authorized to override the laws of the state, making him an accomplice to a crime, IF it can be proven he actually made that judgment. This fellow even tried to cover up the crime by moving the elk to field dress it. I wonder if the elk was tagged before moving, which would be another violation.

I will not comment on the punishment, as I suspect it is already prescribed by law.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
However it turns out, it is just another negative news moment for hunting/hunters in general, and it is one that will only produce more lines of division among hunters.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote