Find
Notify
Tools

A question for Kiwis
 Login/Join

<Nick_S>
posted
What does 'Hilar' mean or stand for?
I visited NZ a couple of years back and bought somebooks on deer hunting that suggest the 'Hilar zone' as the ideal shot placement. Basically this is the chest area that includes the major vessels connecting heart and lungs. A very effective shot, but I still don't know what 'Hilar' means and I haven't seen it used outside NZ.

Nick S

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick_S:
What does 'Hilar' mean or stand for?
I visited NZ a couple of years back and bought somebooks on deer hunting that suggest the 'Hilar zone' as the ideal shot placement. Basically this is the chest area that includes the major vessels connecting heart and lungs. A very effective shot, but I still don't know what 'Hilar' means and I haven't seen it used outside NZ.

It's a medical term. Unless you're a doctor or something, it's no wonder you haven't heard of it before.

"Hilar" is an adjective, meaning "of, or related to, or located near... a hilum." It is the area through which ducts, nerves, or blood vessels enter and leave a gland or organ. A "hilum" is a depression or fissure where vessels, or nerves, or ducts enter an organ, such as "the hilum of the kidney" or "the hilum of the lung."

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Steve H>
posted
Hi Guys
what a long winded way of saying shoot the damn thing in the chest. I'm from NZ and I've never heard of "Hilar" and I hunt nearly every day. Must be just a silly book you got?

Steve H