Notify
Tools

Deer Poaching Pothead Pinched
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Glasco Man Faces Felony Charge After Shooting Pot-Craving Deer
Published: Friday, September 20, 2013

GLASCO, N.Y. -- A Glasco man is facing a felony charge following an investigation into a complaint that he was shooting deer that were eating his marijuana plants.

Barry J. Brice Jr., 57, of 47 Pauline Lane, Glasco, was arrested by town of Saugerties police Friday on a charge of criminal possession of marijuana, a felony.

Town police said an investigation started with a complaint to state Environmental Conservation Police that Brice had been shooting deer over the summer because they were eating and destroying his marijuana crop. State police conducted air surveillance of Brice’s property Thursday and a search warrant was executed at Brice’s home, where 68 potted marijuana plants were seized. Environmental Conservation Police further discovered that Brice had been butchering, packaging and storing deer meat at his home. Police said possessing untagged and unlabeled venison is a violation of state Environmental Conservation Law.

During the surveillance, Brice was observed fleeing his residence after spotting the helicopter, police said. Brice contacted his lawyer, who called police and arranged Brice’s surrender to authorities Friday afternoon.

Besides the felony charge, Brice was charged with growing cannabis without a license and possessing untagged venison. He was arraigned in Saugerties Town Court and released after posting $1,000 bail.

Police said an investigation is continuing and further charges are pending.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet if you looked in The Dictionary under "STUPID"his picture is there!!! Eeker

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find myself wondering about pot eating deer. "Like wow, man..."

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Felony?

Seriously?

The world is f'd if poaching is a deer is a felony.

Not saying this guy shouldn't be locked up, but a felony means you lose everything.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
In TX it's a felony to poach a deer. Used to be a misdemeanor. When they changed it to a felony it cut out a huge amount of poaching.

People still do it, but only a fraction of the previous amount.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While vacationing in Nepal some years back I was surprised at how docile all those uncastrated brahma bulls that blocked traffic were...Then I noticed all the " weeds" growing along the roads: pot plants! No wonder those critters were so mellow!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
What!? Just a felony now??!! It should require the DEATH PENALTY! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sagebrush Burns:
I find myself wondering about pot eating deer. "Like wow, man..."

Humboldt County grows a lot of pot and a lot of deer are shot there as well, they like the stuff at least as well as alfalfa. I remember reading about this in the 1980s.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote