THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Deer do eat cotton...for the cotton seed!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer do eat cotton...for the cotton seed!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
I just read the thread on what people feed deer and what deer eat, or are attracted too. Several good points, one I'd like to qualify.

We grew up with cotton fields on our farm when I lived in Alabama. I never knew why so many of the cows would get through the fence to get at the cotton until my uncle told me that they are going for the cotton seeds. Apparently the seed taste somewhat like a sunflower seed to them with a tad bit of natural sugar.

Deer eat them for the same reasons. I was amazed one year when I found over 30 deer in a 30 acre square cotton field munchin away on the cotton and then the clover on the outskirts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't doubt it. We used to feed cotton seed meal (ground up cotton seeds) to our cows when I was a kid. We'd mix it with salt and they'd go crazy over it.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc,

It is the seed they want, but they will eat the leaves too and pick at the leftover bowls after the stripping is done (for the seeds inside of course).

Knowing this, I bought some cotton seed from the local gin. It was a cow feed that had a bit of corn and molasses in it as well.

They wouldn't touch it. Couldn't tell you why. I thought they would go crazy over it.

I will tell you that we have the most "regular" deer in the country. I would imagine a bowl of cotton contains at least the daily recommended dose of fiber!

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe cotton seed has about 40% protein to it so the straight seeds would probably scour(runny shits) just about any animal. Thus, needing to be mixed with salt, cotton hulls, etc. to dilute or limit intake. Squeesing the oil out of cotton seed with a seed press gives off an unbelieveably inviting smell from my personal experience. Probably the cotton and cotton hull/bowl dilute it enough for consumption.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendell, I let you in on a little secret. We have been feeding cottonseed for the last couple of years on our ranch. We use a v-mesh netting wire. Cut a six foot length and make a circle using hog rings to clamp the wire together. Drive a steel t-post in the ground and stand the wire ring lengthwise over the t-post and fill with cottonseed.. If you have cattle or hogs you will need to build a pen around it. Hogs are not supposed to eat cottonseed but will rub against it to get the oil on their hides. When you first start it make take up to six months before the deer start eating it. It is best to put it next to a corn feeder where they are used to coming to eat.

Do not feed cottonseed for two months before the rut. Some studies have shown that it contains a chemical that cause bucks to become sterile while eating it. When natural browse is scarce the cottonseed ring will last about two weeks. We feed about 20 tons per year on a 6000 acre south texas ranch.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Last deer I shot was standing in a cotton field eating.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Thanks M16,

I abandoned feeding it after my first attempt, but I am always open to suggestions.

I have 2000 and 3000 lb. bulk feeders that might work.

What is the cost for a ton of cotton seed?
Ever try feeding it out of a creep feeder?

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of one of my cotton fields in November after it was picked. In a practical sense from a hunting standpoint, when does it provide any nutritional benefit or appeal to a deer? From what I've experienced, the deer seem to overwhelmingly prefer corn or grain patches to cotton. I just don't see much deer traffic in cotton fields while they almost live in other food sources. I'm open to suggestions. What would make my deer take an interest in cotton?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
Here in West TN, we bush hog the stalks down as soon as the cotton is in the wagon, and the weeds that jump up from the residual fertilizer really draw them in.

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cottonseed contains gossypol a chemical that will make males sterile. It has been shown in China where people eat raw cottonseed oil to produce almost 100% sterility in men and bulls. It is reversible. It can also be deadly to young animals especially ruminants like cattle and deer. Haven't heard the warning for pig though, I thought pigs were good to go. Believe me, I worked for Stoneville Pedigreed Seed Co. in Leland MS for a number of years and part of what I did was gossypol and CPFA analysis of cotton seed. CPFA are another nasty compound that are degraded during heating and pressing. They will turn hens eggs completely red if the hens are feed unprocessed seed. Probably alot of useless info but you guys struck a chord with me with something I know about!

NoCAL

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I had heard from a friend that it might harm a deer if I fed them cotton hulls. Why do they process the stuff for cattle food then? Is it just calves that can't eat it?

Last years "cull" Mulie. Eating the cotton.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they get gossypol toxicity?

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendell,
The way I understand it hulls don't contain nearly the gossypol that the entire seed does. And yes the impact is much greater to young ruminants than to old. Older cattle can be fed cottonseed with no ill effects. Steers and cows are fed cottonseed all the time. It's just not good for bulls or calves.

NoCAL

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm, A south texas rancher famous for producing trophy deer told me to make sure the fawns can get to the cottonseed. He claimed it was very important to get plenty of nutrition their first year. He's been doing this for 30 years so if it killed his fawns I would thing he would have changed by now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I figured rather than spout out my memories I'd go back to my notes from the projects I've worked on. I worked with Dr. Millard Calhoun of Texas A&M. Gossypol has effects on non-ruminant animals like swine and poultry. So my memory was off there. Cattle are able to consume it due to the action of bacteria in the rumen which will detoxify the gossypol. Young calves especially those just weaned are very susceptible to gossypol poisoning and can die when overfed on a diet containing raw cottonseed. The temporary negative effect on bull semen is as I described. I have no data on deer consuming cottonseed but since they are ruminants I'd suspect the problems would be the same for them as for cattle. There will always be exceptions to these rules. Perhaps deer are better able to self regulate and know when enough is enough unlike cattle. Perhaps your rancher friend did observe deer in the cotton field but fawns may not have been eating it. Even amoung cattle a calf won't eat much solid feed if a wet cow is near which in can nurse from. I don't claim to be an expert in this field. I just know what I learned during a couple years doing testing on cottonseed. One more thing, there are glandless varieties of cotton which have been bred to have very low levels of gossypol. They aren't grown very much because they require high levels of insecticide to ward off the insects. These varieties are perfectly safe to eat and have none of the effects of glanded varieties. One of the top glandless cotton growing areas is Texas. So maybe M16's friend was growing those.

NoCAL

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually the rancher I refered to purchases his cottonseed in bulk. He feeds year round and doesn't worry about his bucks becoming sterile during the rut. Like you stated he says that the cottonseed is but a small portion of their diet and they do not take in enough to cause them any harm. We have a biologist on our ranch that had some studies that said cottonseed could cause sterility. These are not penned animals so they eat a lot of other browse. When conditions are favorable (ie lots of rain) the deer do not consume much cottonseed. When it turns dry consumption goes up dramatically. It appears to me that the supplemental feeding of cottonseed makes a big difference in antler mass. It is not uncommon now for us to kill bucks with five inch or greater bases. The main beams and points are much heavier than before the feeding program. I would estimate that it make a difference of between 20 and 30 B&C points extra on trophy deer. It is labor intensive to feed but the cost is about half of what protein was running.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've gone broke so many times growing cotton that I just can't pass this subject up.

While gossypol is toxic to humans, it is benign to ruminants. Ain't a damn thing wrong with feeding straight cottonseed to cows (and it won't make the bulls sterile). No problem with deer, either, but they don't seem to have a strong affinity for it. They will occasionally pull a little cotton from the boll and feed on the seeds within, but it is only when they seem to have little else to feed on.

Wendell: A ton of cottonseed usually is in the $100 dollar range, but varies quite a bit from season to season. If you'll buy it directly from a local gin, you can usually get it at the price they pay to the farmer.

Now if you want to see deer go batty over a bait, blackeyed peas are another story . . .

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Potential for Gossypol Toxicity When Feeding Whole Cottonseed

Matt Poore
Glenn M. Rogers, DVM

"Gossypol can cause a temporary reduction in sperm cell formation in bulls when fed above the recommended level. Some research has indicated fertility problems, but some experiments have not been able to show any problems. Because of the importance of bull fertility to profitable beef production, and the small potential savings realized from feeding cottonseed to bulls, we recommend that breeding bulls not be fed cottonseed before the start of the breeding season. A fertility problem would take several months to develop, so feeding cottonseed to the cow herd during the breeding season should not be any problem. Again, observe the bull to make sure that he is not eating a large amount of seed."

This is just an excerpt from a larger report that does state cottonseed is a valuable protein source for cattle. I stand by my earlier statements though. It must be fed to weaned, older calves, it must be limited to around 7 lbs/day or less, and should not be fed to breeding bulls due to decreased fertility. The effect on bulls is temporary but if you have a prized bull who's fee is based on number of cows impregnated, would you want to risk lowered fertility. As for deer, I'm sure it's a great protein source and would help in antler development. With the problems it has though, would it be worthwhile to use it when there are other feeds out there that don't contain known toxic componants? Everybody will have an opinion and tons of "personal" anecdotes so I'm not trying to change anybody's mind. I just presented the facts and I know what I'd do if it was me.

NoCAL

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

With the problems it has though, would it be worthwhile to use it when there are other feeds out there that don't contain known toxic componants?

NoCAL

I repeat, "Now if you want to see deer go batty over a bait, blackeyed peas are another story . . . "

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote