Find
Notify
Tools

A comparison
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
This is a composite photo from a trail camera. I believe the location is Wisconsin. Not my photo.

It is outstanding showing the differences between a wolf and coyote.

quote:
Coyotes are quite a bit smaller than are wolves, weighing 15-50 pounds while gray wolves weigh 70-150 pounds. Coyotes also stand at 21-24 inches tall at the shoulder, while wolves grow to 26-32 inches tall. Wolves are also quite a bit longer, from 4.5-6.5 feet from nose to tail. Coyotes max out at 4.5 feet long.
photo by Craig Kavajecz

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great comparison Ann. Thanks

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those on AR who live in North America, wolves are bigger than coyotes. Thanks for adding to the body of knowledge. Any other pearls of wisdom? Is fire good or bad? Can someone on AR google that? Are bigger things bad? So many questions?

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
One, if rabid, might bite you. The other, if hungry, might eat you.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good comparison.

I seen many of both and have dozens of trail cam pictures of both.

Young wolves can look like a big yote.

Big yotes can look like young wolves.

Especially with a pack of hounds on their tail.

Never made the mistake of sending a load of buck shot towards a wolf. Came close at times.

I am seeing a lot more coyote colored wolves.

Tends to make me believe they are inter breeding some.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:

Do a search coyote attacks a lot more common then you think.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

I never said they were uncommon, for either species.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Your reference to one being rabid is the reason they attack.

Lots of coyote attack are not by rabid critters.

That is just an excuse used by the anti's to say. See they are not so bad.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
One small, have little bite. One big, have big bite.
Small one use you for snack. Big one use you for meal.
One wear size 5 moccasin, other wear size 10.

killpc

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

I never said they were uncommon, for either species.

Okay, then I'll say it: Attacks on humans by EITHER species are exceedingly uncommon.

Coyote attacks are the figment of overactive suburbanite imaginations amplified by the magic of the internet. "Do a search", indeed. Even rabid coyotes very rarely attack humans -- not nearly as often as rabid skunks, raccoons, and squirrels.

Wolf attacks on humans are the things of legend. A few are recorded every decade world-wide, but some of those are speculative and not corroborated by evidence. For example, a human body, dead by other means, partially eaten as carrion. Foxes and crows will do that, too, but don't get blamed for "attacks" (except maybe in Arthur Hitchcock's 1960's movie "The Birds").

Claiming that coyote and wolf attacks are somehow "common" is like saying that January 6th was "legitimate political expression". It plays into the hands of the people whose policies you disagree with.

Now, domestic dogs are another matter. Thousands of people every year are seriously attacked and many are killed. You wanna legitimately stir some fear among the populace about canids? Try concentrating on pit bulls and German shepherds. ("Do a search".)

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
There was a silly movie some years ago which starred (I believe) Liam Niessen and a crashed plane load of men who were picked off one by one by some 'smart' wolves.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth...

Wolf Attacks in North America

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Another comparison that would be interesting are the size difference in southern coyotes and ones up north. Hunted in Ft St John and saw what I thought was a wolf. Turned out to be a coyote. But having only seen southern yotes I had no idea they got that big.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolves are lot faster than yotes too so yotes have to be wary of the bigger dog.

Posts: 190 | Location: rockdale, texas | Registered: 01 October 2021Reply With Quote