New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Barnes Triple shock bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sheephunter-I might be wrong but I think we're all gonna find out its the "ribs" contributing so much to accuracy. These tough bullets just didn't get into the rifling of alot of barrels before. Escpecially a bullet like the barnes which has no soft lead core to compress. So the ribs now give the "relief" needed for the bullet to properly "engrave" itself into the rifling. I think we will be seeing alot more "ribs" in the future.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the logic and questions that led to the XXX is detailed by David Scovill in the latest Successful Hunter . I just wish I could get some of the XXX-XLCs that he showed in the pictures, one cool looking bullet. He stated that being a solid shank there was no place for the displaced (by the rifling) metal to go, thus the love/hate relationship. I kinda dig it that they resorted to 'technology' developed for lead bullets for these.

one of us
posted Hide Post
yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh,no questions kraky,
the ribs-driving bands change how the bullet performs while in the barrel-and therefore accuracy.So maybe the TX isnt as finicky as to which barrel can shoot them.
But once out the muzzle,assuming an accurate bullet- as the Barnes X is in some barrels,the killing or wound picture I presume to be the same as the Barnes X.

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote