THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    How many shots taken for number of deer collected?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many shots taken for number of deer collected?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Question:
This question arises from the "Eastern Whitetail Rifle Actions (Heavy Cover)" thread. What was your "Effective Hits Ratio" this year? How many shots did you take this year to collect all your deer? If I'm not mistaken the math ought to go something like this:

Number of Shots Taken (including "finishers" as well as misses) divided by the Number of Deer Collected = Effective Hits Ratio (if you prefer a more accurate phrase please suggest it)

For example:

1 shot, 1 deer = 1.0
2 shots, 1 deer = 2.0
3 shots for 2 deer = 1.5
4 shots, 1 deer = 4.0
5 shots, 5 deer = 1.0

Round to nearest number as necessary. Replies describing your hunting implement of choice (if a long gun, the action type), your precise ratio, or tales that describe attaining a ratio of less than 1.0 will be greatly appreciated. Good hunting!

Choices:
3.0 or more...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far this season I'm three for three (two bolt action, one bow)
My son went two for two (bolt action)
A cousin went three for two (bolt)
Hunting buddy #1 went three for three (bolt)
Hunting buddy #2 wenth four for three (single-shot & bolt)
Another cousin's son missed the monster buck; 0 for 1 (bolt)

Overall our parties fired 16 shots to collect 13 deer for a combined EHR of 1.23

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
2 shots, 2 deer. One in the thick stuff. But I shoot a single shot-I must be some kind of a nut, huh? I don't miss, but I choose my shots very carefully. Thankfully, I've never had equipment failure...yet.

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LeeH
posted Hide Post
1 shot 1 deer (20 yds.) here in NH. 2 shots 2 antelope (210 and 235 yds) in MT. T/C Encore in 209-50 and .25-06.

Posts: 87 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
3 red deer, 5 shots. I gave one deer I had hit a bit high in the spine an extra shot(In the head), to finnish it of. Also missed one deer. Killed 1 deer for a friend of mine, it went down in the shot, but was still alive when I got to it.

Shot 3 roe deer, 6 shots, two of them, where still alive when I got to them, could have waited for 5 min, they where both hit good in the lungs, but I always give em an extra shot if they are alive. Also I managed to miss a roe, miss juged the distanse greatly.

Johan

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Three deer with four shots. I hit one high, just nicking the top of the spine, requiring a finisher. As best as I can estimate it, on all whitetail taken my shot ratio is just a fraction over 1.0, roughly 1.06 or so.

---
Eric Ching
"The pen is mightier than the sword...except in a swordfight."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, this year was really bad, my ratio was 2.6 when the smoke cleared. I've had years that my ratio was 1.0 for 8 animals so I guess maybe I should look at the long term average.

Interesting thing this year is that I experienced two "problems" I have not had in quite a while: Severe scope movement for no reason I recall and honest-to-god bullet failure. After I got the scope back in line I did go 3 for 3, so I suppose that's a good excuse. The bullet failure I will deal with in a separate post after I get the photos scaned.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All most all the deer I have killed have been with one shot most of the time the first one.

But I learned a good lession all most the hard way. The biggest buck I shot I had a good standing shot in very heavy brush and trees early in the morning. To see the cross hairs I had to raise them above the deer I lowered them and touch off. The buck rain about 50 yards and stopped, up to that time if I knew I had a good hit the first shot I never bothered with the 2nd one.

I looked at those big horns and said what the heck and drilled a 2nd one through his shoulders he dropped on the spot. When I looked him over for the first bullet hole all I found was a crease through the hair on his back. If I never would have fired the 2nd one I still be wondering what went wrong.

From that day on if they are still moving I keep shooting. Most of the time the first shot was the killer the rest were just insurance.

My shots per deer have increase I use to be proud of the one shot one kill. But its better to keep shooting and make sure they are dead. Then watch them run off or end up tracking them a long ways because ones bullet hit a limb and gut shot them.

One other poster has a line that goes something like this.

The famous last words a trophy fee gone bad don't shoot him again he was hit hard the first time.

Iam sure a lot of hunters who have lost game been bitten or stomped on have wished they had fired a follow up or 2.

One shot one kill is what one trys for but ammo is cheap if one has a chance give them another.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the statements here are quite valid. I, however cheat the stats a bit. Since I have a single shot rifle, I am very carefull to take shots only at undisturbed game, where I can guarentee a shot into the shoulder, heart/lung region. This means I have to pass up a lot of shots, but I am luckier than most, I live 2 hours from some of the best deer hunting areas in OZ and my freezer still stays full of venison.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
This year was 5 for 5.

That being said, I and each of us, have had experiences of "whatever" that has caused misses (aside from stupidity).

Since I have a policy of being over-gunned it has cut down considerably on follow-up shots. I know many people out here that seem determined to get by with as little of caliber as possible.

That being said, I am currently working on the smallest project to date, a 6.5X55. Even though this is smaller than anything else it is still plenty of gun for deer and antelope; heck it's enough gun for elk if the situation called for it. I hunted for years with a fellow who had nothing but a 243 and hunted elk every year. He did require quite a few follow-up shots and he was very careful with his shots.

We shouldn't use the excuse of a big gun to get careless or rush out shots.

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sambar 9.3:
All the statements here are quite valid. I, however cheat the stats a bit. Since I have a single hot rifle, I am very carefull to take shots only at undisturbed game, where I can guarentee a shot into the shoulder, heart/lung region. This means I have to pass up a lot of shots

Well said, Sambar. Couldn't have said it better myself. clap

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
One shot and one release = two deer. Total 30" of spread and 15 points, was missing one brow. That's a great NY deer season! Single Cam Bow and a Sako Bolt

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
8 for 8 so far this season(Knock on Wood). It's been a good year.

Even the best of us miss, stay in the field enough and it happens.

Statements such as "I've never missed" and "I've never had to shoot one more than once" are more times than not spoken from lack of experience.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, of the 25 respondents (78% as of 8 Dec 05) with a shots per deer ratio of 1.0 how many of you were hunting with a double, slide-action, levergun, or selfloader? Good hunting!

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Shot all of mine w/ Bolts Except for one w/ a slug gun. You only need one, focus more time on the first one that leaves the bbl and the rest is good table fare.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate to admit this, but I shoot until out of bullets or the deer quits moving. This year, I took 3 shots on a whitetail in Wyoming and 3 on an antelope (two while he was down).

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two shots, two deer. One with a muzzle loader, the other with a 359 Rem Mag.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I shot an 8pt Buck several years ago in the neck with a 30-06 (in hindsight not a good place to shoot a deer in my opinion) all I could see was the head and neck. I could not get to the deer because it was in a meadow across a creek and I was on a hill overlooking it. After about 15 minutes I finally got one of my friends to go where I had shot the Buck (he was closer than me) the Buck got up and tried to ram him with his antlers. He shot it in the right shoulder with a 30-30 the Buck ran off and the search was on. Another friend seen the Buck run into a ravine and shot it in the back of the head with a 30-30. Since then I have sworn off neck shots. We all had some fine eating that season and a good reason for my friend to rib me about having to finish off my deer. Since my marksmanship has gotten a lot better.

It took the three of us to kill one deer so I guess the ratio was 3 shots one deer.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Three for three this year for deer.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
So far this year one shot with a 209x50 Encore yielded one deer but our seasson(s) are just beginning.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I added a muzzleloader deer (adult whitetail doe taken with a .54 caliber flintlock) to the 2005 harvest over the weekend. The ratio holds at 4:4. Good hunting!

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Eight for eight for the last couple of years...7mm mag

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
LDH,

When do they rut down there? I've heard some Alabama guys say on up in the end of January.

Reloader

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll honest and tell a bad story on myself. I only shot 1 mule deer this year and I shot him 5 (yes, five) times. I lost a wounded hartebeest in Tanz. this fall and my shooting there ranged from poor to decent. It may have scarred me for life.

I was on a meat hunt with my wife a couple of weeks after returning from Africa. A young muley was looking over his shoulder at me from 50 yds away. He finally showed me a bit of shoulder and I took the shot (getting only 1 lung as it turned out). He was obviously hard hit, but did not drop. The second shot, 3 seconds later, was a cutesy shot at the neck that just creased him. Now I over reacted and decided to anchor him with a shot for the front right shoulder via the back left hip. Shot went as planned and deer dropped instantly, but tried to lift his head while on the ground. Now I really lost my mind and shot him through the spine between the shoulder blades. Twice. Three inches apart. Total elapsed time, maybe 20 seconds, distance covered by deer, less than 10 yards.

I've always believed that its better to shoot too often than to let a wounded one get away, but between the lost hartebeest and my low confidence, I really over did it. The first shot was fine, and if I'd waited 30 seconds, he would have fallen over and died 20 yards from where I first saw him. But I'd lost one already this year and wasn't about to let that happen again damn it!

I got my pennance though. The deer dropped in the rose bushes he was standing in. This was painful enough until I could drag him to a clear spot, but cleaning a partially disassembled deer was far harder than I ever imagined. With the all the various wounds, he would leak and flop in the most awkward manner. I guess I deserved that.

My wife later shot one through the lungs, but a touch far back. It went 30 yards before falling down and dying. I had to restrain myself from shooting it on the ground too.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2 shots fired and I have a pronghorn and a whitetail to show for it. Pretty typical year for me.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2 shots, 2 deer.

1 was taken with a CVA flintlock muzzleloader, 1 was taken with a .30-06 bolt action.

I rarely miss unless I take shots I shouldn't. I don't shoot into heavy brush, or at running animals, or beyond 300 yards, unless I have to because I've already wounded the deer, or think I have.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maki:
Well, I'll honest and tell a bad story on myself. I only shot 1 mule deer this year and I shot him 5 (yes, five) times. I lost a wounded hartebeest in Tanz. this fall and my shooting there ranged from poor to decent. It may have scarred me for life.

I was on a meat hunt with my wife a couple of weeks after returning from Africa. A young muley was looking over his shoulder at me from 50 yds away. He finally showed me a bit of shoulder and I took the shot (getting only 1 lung as it turned out). He was obviously hard hit, but did not drop. The second shot, 3 seconds later, was a cutesy shot at the neck that just creased him. Now I over reacted and decided to anchor him with a shot for the front right shoulder via the back left hip. Shot went as planned and deer dropped instantly, but tried to lift his head while on the ground. Now I really lost my mind and shot him through the spine between the shoulder blades. Twice. Three inches apart. Total elapsed time, maybe 20 seconds, distance covered by deer, less than 10 yards.

I've always believed that its better to shoot too often than to let a wounded one get away, but between the lost hartebeest and my low confidence, I really over did it. The first shot was fine, and if I'd waited 30 seconds, he would have fallen over and died 20 yards from where I first saw him. But I'd lost one already this year and wasn't about to let that happen again damn it!

I got my pennance though. The deer dropped in the rose bushes he was standing in. This was painful enough until I could drag him to a clear spot, but cleaning a partially disassembled deer was far harder than I ever imagined. With the all the various wounds, he would leak and flop in the most awkward manner. I guess I deserved that.

My wife later shot one through the lungs, but a touch far back. It went 30 yards before falling down and dying. I had to restrain myself from shooting it on the ground too.

Dean

Sounds like you need to ease up on the caffeine. Forty two years ago I shot my first deer twice and the second one was while he was on the ground. At 14 and my first deer I would not give him a chance to get up. Since then I have only shot one other deer twice because I wasn't sure of the quality of the first one on a running deer. It turned out the first one was only a scratch. Only two out of 170 were shot twice. Good rifles and plenty of trigger time make a lot of difference.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
^ antelope, 4 deer and a cow elk, one antelope took two shots, the rest were all one shot!Shots were any where from 60 yds on a deer to 420 on the elk. 270win, 375 marlin and 300win

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mule deer. 2005 so far. 7 for 7 with 2 tags left. All 270 130 grain Federal Fusion loads. 70 yards to 225 yards.

Posts: 37 | Location: Black Hills | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the bow only this year. When rifle hunting I shoot and if it doesn't drop immediately I shoot again. I'd hate to lose one that wasn't shot well. Shoot til it drops!!!

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
I used the bow only this year. When rifle hunting I shoot and if it doesn't drop immediately I shoot again. I'd hate to lose one that wasn't shot well. Shoot til it drops!!!

the chef

Funny, I used to have the same rule for bad guys! ( and I still have the same rule for Cape Buffalo!)

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got an 8-pointer with my 7mm Rem Mag!
He was running out the side of a deer drive and about 75-80 yards from me. I pulled into a spot where I thought he'd pass, when he got there, I pinched the trigger and he went down, but not out! He had dropped into a low spot, which made the bullet hit high! I had hit the bottom of the spine and he couldn't get up! I put another one through the middle of the ribs and he was down and out!
What a rush!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote