New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jealousy in deer hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Last fall I was fortunate enough to harvest the largest deer that I have ever taken in 31 years of deer hunting. It was not a record book animal but a big one for our area. I had two trail camera pictures of the animal in the fall but never thought I would get a crack at him. Our area is heavily hunted during the season and out of so I was quiet happy to take him legally and ethically during the archery season.
Due to the many problems I have had on our 65 Acres, trespassing, cutting of our fences, dumping garbage, ect., ect., I was very quiet about the deer.
No matter how quiet I was about taking the deer the word still leaked out. The part that bothered me was the stories being told that I poached the deer or took it illegally because I did not inform anyone in the area about it. In addition, they claimed that I took "their" deer, like they owned it. This all took me by suprise and I don't have any explaination for it other than jealousy. Has anyone experienced anything like this before ?

WLA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the deer by the way.

Jealousy leaks into all parts of our lives. My problem is when I see someone is jealous I normaly start trying to hit their buttons. Good friends won't ever be so jealous that they backstab. Good luck next year and I hope you kill an even bigger one. If you think these folks are acting childish now wait and see them if you pull off a back to back buck.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like you need some lavender paint on the fence posts, "POSTED" signs, a letter to the county sherriff, a letter to the county game warden, a letter to your district attorney requesting prosecution for tresspassing, nightvision goggles, night vision scope, handcuffs and a Taser.

If you haven't guessed already I HATE POACHERS, TRESSPASSERS, AND TRASH DUMPERS!

You probably figured out by now where your information leak is be it a processor, taxidermist, or a so called friend. I believe were it me they would be on my "no longer doing business with" list. If its a relative, ya'll need to go for a long walk in the woods and only you need to walk out without a noticeable limp.

I hope you manage to get a bigger buck next year, but in reality the problem causers are more likely to shoot everything that moves now. Maybe you can put some cattle in there and shoot the problems claiming rustling.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
We have it on a huge scale in South Texas. A large number of locals with Spanish surnames that match the surnames of old grant holders convince themsleves that they are a decendant of a colonial landholder who must have been screwed out of land by another colonial with an Anglo surname and therefore has the right to shoot deer on "his" land that was stolen form his ancestors.

How's that for a run-on sentence?

That problem is what began the high fencing of Texas properties; it was the only way to control poaching. Even with that, a lot of wire get s cut.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an experience shooting someones personal deer. I was hunting a WPA in western MN. I shot what would still be my biggest buck high through both lungs with a 357. He managed to cross the fence to the adjoining property where he hit a small draw with some willow slashings and fell dead. While walking over the landowner came racing over on his 4 wheeler and said I couldn't retreive my deer and carry my pistol at the same time since they were going to drive that draw later in the afternoon. I knew he was dead so I asked If he would mind If I drove down his fenceline to load it. he said fine and showed me where to come in. So I walk the 2 miles back to my truck and head over, pulling in the approach he meets me and said he looked and couldn't find the deer and if I wanted to go further I would need to bring a CO out. On my way out to get to town to call a warden (before cell phones)I look down his drive and see the buck I shot hanging in the open barn. when I pull in He says it is his deer and he'd been watching it all summer and his tag was on it and I was trespassing. The warden said even though you could follow the blood from where it was shot, over the fence right to the gutpile and the 4 wheeler tracks right to the barn there was nothing I could do. It was a 160s 10 pointer in the 300lb range with bases like baseball bats.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WLA, I have experienced just what you are talking about. In 2001 I killed a huge whitetail buck that I had hunted for two years. Several friends knew I was hunting a big buck. I was then a working GW in Alabama.

I kept pretty quiet about the buck but my idiot brother put a pic on the net and it blew up everywhere. I heard I killed it at night, over bait, from the state GW truck in a state park, out of my girlfriends basement window over a feeder at night...

My Chief of Enforcement called my Captain to check if I had bought the antlers from out of state as he had heard. I told both of em to screw themselves...

Jealous bastages will always talk about any really big buck anyone kills. I smile every time I look at that monster on the wall.....

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had an experience shooting someones personal deer. I was hunting a WPA in western MN. I shot what would still be my biggest buck high through both lungs with a 357.

Might be time to use a bigger gun. As much as I like hunting with a handgun, there is always some dishonest son-of-a-motherless-goat that will mess up your best day. Needless to say folks like that rarely are able to keep their mouths shut and will brag to their buddies about how they stole a deer. Word gets around and if anyone in town has a shred of dignity they stop doing business with the bastard!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
personlly I think it comes down to money and fame. A lot of people think that thy are going to shoot the next world record amd make millons off of it.

Posts: 19615 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Listen to this one: My brother in-law hunts on a friends property that butts up to one of the big name TV whitetail hunters property in Iowa. This past season he killed a true monster 190"+ buck with his bow on his buddies land. That night this big name bowhunter drives up to the tractor shed while they are skinning the buck and tears into my brother in-law. Claiming he had no right to "his buck", a buck of such great size 'cause Mr. Big Shot had been raising him and letting him grow for a couple years so he could get that big. The landowner sent him packing PDQ!!!
This is one of the many reasons I have quit watching TV hunting shows.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quintus:
I had an experience shooting someones personal deer. I was hunting a WPA in western MN. I shot what would still be my biggest buck high through both lungs with a 357. He managed to cross the fence to the adjoining property where he hit a small draw with some willow slashings and fell dead. While walking over the landowner came racing over on his 4 wheeler and said I couldn't retreive my deer and carry my pistol at the same time since they were going to drive that draw later in the afternoon. I knew he was dead so I asked If he would mind If I drove down his fenceline to load it. he said fine and showed me where to come in. So I walk the 2 miles back to my truck and head over, pulling in the approach he meets me and said he looked and couldn't find the deer and if I wanted to go further I would need to bring a CO out. On my way out to get to town to call a warden (before cell phones)I look down his drive and see the buck I shot hanging in the open barn. when I pull in He says it is his deer and he'd been watching it all summer and his tag was on it and I was trespassing. The warden said even though you could follow the blood from where it was shot, over the fence right to the gutpile and the 4 wheeler tracks right to the barn there was nothing I could do. It was a 160s 10 pointer in the 300lb range with bases like baseball bats.

Your Neighbor must be real proud of" HIS BUCK".What a jerk>!!!!I believe in Karma.What comes around ,goes around.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
Its funny, people see a buck or get a photo on a trail camera and all of a sudden its "their deer". If I kill it on my land, in my stand, I don't care how many times you've seen it, photographed or collected its sheds, the deer will now hang on my wall. Anything you do or say will only make you look stupid.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER: Your Neighbor must be real proud of" HIS BUCK".What a jerk>!!!!I believe in Karma.What comes around ,goes around.

You and me both.....

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karma does have a way especially in a small farming community. He can't show that buck to anyone cause they all know where it came from, and when he looks at it...he knows what he sees.
As far as the 357 goes, what I needed was to shoot it better. I think I anticipated the recoil a bit and hit about 4 inches higher than I wanted. The then reasonably new Hornady XTP did pass through. When the big boy jumped the fence blood shot in 2 directions, that chest was full! Fortunatly I still remember the whole evolution as if it was this morning. I guess I got the best part, he got the horns.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WLA,
Just curious what region you are in. I hear a lot of people talking about "Their deer" also.
They are ignorant to the law and to good hunting ethics.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even game wardens get in on the action. I was fortunate to kill a couple of really good bucks for our area. It wasn't long before the game warden started making comments and asking questions. He stopped by a friends camp to do a check. There was a couple of pictures on the wall with the bucks I shot. He looks at the pictures and comments. "Looks like the ole outlaw killed him a couple of good ones." I told my friend that next time that son of a bitch stops in to tell him. I must be a lot better outlaw then he is a game warden cause he ain't never caught me.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WLA:
Last fall I was fortunate enough to harvest the largest deer that I have ever taken in 31 years of deer hunting. It was not a record book animal but a big one for our area. I had two trail camera pictures of the animal in the fall but never thought I would get a crack at him. Our area is heavily hunted during the season and out of so I was quiet happy to take him legally and ethically during the archery season.
Due to the many problems I have had on our 65 Acres, trespassing, cutting of our fences, dumping garbage, ect., ect., I was very quiet about the deer.
No matter how quiet I was about taking the deer the word still leaked out. The part that bothered me was the stories being told that I poached the deer or took it illegally because I did not inform anyone in the area about it. In addition, they claimed that I took "their" deer, like they owned it. This all took me by suprise and I don't have any explaination for it other than jealousy. Has anyone experienced anything like this before ?

WLA

I no longer hunt my favorite area in Nebraska because of something like. Had a very tense moment with two guys who were very mad we were shooting "Their" deer on my wife's uncle's land. They knew it was not their lease (or their guuides), but they were very angry that we would dare shoot a deer where they can see it.

Almost called the cops, it got that heated. The owner has since stopped hunting himself over similar instances.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
I had a friend harvest his best archery deer and my dad and I went down to help him gut it and load it in the truck and take pictures, the whole shebang. The my dad submitted the picture to the local newspaper who published it. My friend was more than happy to have his 15 mins of fame. Well a couple weeks later we get a call from the local CO asking us if my friend had used a rifle to take the deer. Apparently, a taxidermist in town was jealous that my friend didn't take the deer to him to be mounted and started a rumor trying to get him in trouble. Well turns out that we let the CO hunt pheasants and turkeys on our land and my dad was able to put a stop to that nonsense. Needless to say that taxidermist got mud thrown in his face, especially for libeling an honest kid who just took his biggest buck ever.

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ryan,

I live in the middle of Michigan. The "my deer" is getting more common all the time. I don't understand it because the people that own the land surrounding ours shoot every deer they see, including fawns and button bucks. It's amazing that any deer in our area lives past 1 1/2 years old. The one guy shot 3 button bucks in one year. I guess they figure they can claim ownership to any deer they see.

WLA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
Listen to this one: My brother in-law hunts on a friends property that butts up to one of the big name TV whitetail hunters property in Iowa. This past season he killed a true monster 190"+ buck with his bow on his buddies land. That night this big name bowhunter drives up to the tractor shed while they are skinning the buck and tears into my brother in-law. Claiming he had no right to "his buck", a buck of such great size 'cause Mr. Big Shot had been raising him and letting him grow for a couple years so he could get that big. The landowner sent him packing PDQ!!!
This is one of the many reasons I have quit watching TV hunting shows.

Who was this?

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
I was bowhunting this 'Lope buck for a month, I had him figured out and knew exactly what he was doing...just couldn't get him close enough.
Come gun season, I didn't have a gun tag.
So, I call my buddy and take him out and let him shoot "MY" lope buck.
Didn't bother me a bit and I was happy for him.
Some folks just need to grow up.
I also believe in Karma and I hope they get it ten fold!!!!!!

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won't list names in the open forum but will let you have a clue or two. His wife's name is something sweet we've all ate, his son has a biblical first name and he makes a living as a farmer/Whitetail Freak.
That should be enough to figure it out for yourself.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the human race pissers

CRYBABY

homer

thumbdown

One of the biggest "eye-openers" is when someone starts working/volunteering in the church. The new person usually thinks that church people will treat one another better than in the secular world. Sadly, and almost always, the opposite is true.

So it is that a quote attributed to Martin Luther by the 20th Century German Pastor, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, should be oft quoted and remembered:

the curse of the ungodly can sound more sweet in God's ears than the alleluias of the pious

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
The "My Deer" is starting to happen a lot more offen now in PA, especially since the antler restrictions have worked. My neighbor and myself have gotten into a few arguements about me recovering deer on his property. I've always asked permission before retriving the deer but, it never seems to work.

Quick story. My family hunts now state forest which wasn't the case a few years ago. The hunting pressure of course has increased to where you now see hunters where you never seen them before. My cousin two years back hit a good 8 point (biggest of his life). The shot was true and with a good lung blood trail. While tracking it he heard another shot and then eventually came upon another hunter standing over the deer. The other hunter claimed he shot it eventhough he couldn't point out where he hit it or could find another hole after field dressing it. W/O getting in a pissing contest he walked away w/o the deer. We all know you don't own deer but making the effort to follow-up on deer should count for something. Anyway...last year my cousin decided for a small amount of payback and got into the area before the other hunter arrived (that hunter hunted the same pine flats for 3 years). After a few heated words before daylight the hunter moved off in disgust. Was it right? Maybe not but, it gave my cousin feel a little better about it.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
quote:
My brother in-law hunts on a friends property that butts up to one of the big name TV whitetail hunters property in Iowa. This past season he killed a true monster 190"+ buck with his bow on his buddies land. That night this big name bowhunter drives up to the tractor shed while they are skinning the buck and tears into my brother in-law. Claiming he had no right to "his buck", a buck of such great size 'cause Mr. Big Shot had been raising him and letting him grow for a couple years so he could get that big. The landowner sent him packing PDQ!!!

quote:
His wife's name is something sweet we've all ate, his son has a biblical first name and he makes a living as a farmer/Whitetail Freak

I am not suprised one bit by this. I was going to guess the one with the good looking wife, but you know what they say, "Birds of a feather flock together."

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back when I was about 17 years old, my father took a really good 5x5 bull elk at our yearly elk camp in my native Colorado. This was a big, big bull with a wide sweeping rack, long points and heavy mass. It was a lot bigger than most the 6x6 bulls I've seen. It took hours to get the elk back in quarters to camp and we didn't get done until almost midnight.

Dad decided to sleep in the next morning since his tag was full, but me and my older brother both left camp before first light to continue hunting. When we returned after sunset, Dad told me a hell of a story.

About 9 that morning he was inside the wall tent drinking a cup of coffeee and he heard a vehicle drive into camp, stop, back slowly up and then stop. The engine turned off and he heard a door open and then the sound of something else opening. When he looked out the tent flap he saw a white Chevy truck with out of state plates backed up to the bull hanging from the meat pole and a guy standing in the back of the truck with a knife in his hand getting ready to cut the bull down.

So, Dad did what any self respecting Redneck would do. He put a 175 gr bullet from his 7mm Mag into the radiator of that truck. He said it was absolutely amazing to see how quick that S.O.B. bailed out of that truck and hauled ass out of there. Dad said the truck made it less than a mile before it stopped in the valley below camp. The S.O.B. walked off and Dad said about 1:00 that after noon another truck showed up and towed the disabled vehicle away.

We hunted 3 or 4 more days and never saw either vehicle again. Now, that's jealousy when you try to steal hanging game from someone's meat pole.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Takes a lot of guts and no brains for that trick. Stealing a mans elk off the meat pole!

In all honesty, it has changed how and where I hunt. We don't go to the honey hole any more, and have started hunting early season does. The "outfitter" on the other side of the property is a hothead and having one very tense confrontation with an armed man who didn't know where the property lines were is enough.

The sad thing is I suspect the guy is doing it on purpose. He tried the same thing with the owner to the north. If he isn't careful, he is liable to get sued, or shot.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same answer as wolves here in Idaho. Shoot, Shovel a deep hole,bury and cover it up; and Shut your face.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Human nature being what it is, you find some good & some bad in every thing. Unfortunate about the bad, but that's just the way it is.

Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This happened a lot where I lived in Indiana. My friend had a 400 acre farm and wouldn't allow any hunting on his property. Signs posted, fenced, all trails and roads blocked off. He only allowed very close friends on the property to hunt. He had several encounters with hunters up in his tree stands. One guy even shot at him. The police were always called every time a vehicle was parked on the property.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote