Find
Notify
Tools

Danner Santiams vs. Danner Raptors
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted
Does anybody out there have experience with one or both of these.

I am considering buying a new pair of 400 gram insulated boots. I have narrowed it down to these two models and I have looked at them extensively online. (Capital Sports carries the Raptor but not the Santiam so I am unable to compare them side x side.) I can't seem to tell a difference between them. I was wondering if one might have an advantage over the other that might allow it to take the lead. Is one better than the other for hiking in the mountains or side hilling in the breaks?

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently there isn't anybody here who can give me any insight on this. Is there some other place to post this that would be better suited.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
I can't help you on these Danners.
Im partial to the Super Rain Forest model.
I would post this in BACKPACK HUNTING.

KC

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The super rain forest are definitely the shiznit. I have the Quarry and the Quarry 2 personally. I have a friend who has had those plus the rain forest and super forest over the years. I am happy with the Quarry 2s but he has told me that the super rain forests are in a league of their own. So the next work boots I get will be the Super Rain Forests I am sure.

I will try the backpacking thread.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For many years I wore the Danner FT. Lewis boots for work, I needed Black boots.

For hunting in cold weather I have used the Danner Canadian, mine are 600 Gr thinsulate, with perfect satisfaction.

In fact I just bought a second pair of Canadians yesterday on sale for half price.

I liiked at the Santiam, but think in as insulated boot the taller Canadians are better.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I have had the Santiams since 2002. They first went to work in Alaska and have since been all over the western mountains and southern hills.

Although they aren't the lightest, I like the robust all-leather build. They have held up well and required little break-in.

I plan to send them off to Danner for a rebuild either this summer or after next hunting season... I haven't decided yet.

I have also been looking at a pair of German made Mendiels (sold by Cabela's) as either a backup or primary pair... whichever I end up liking most.

Meindl's Website
http://www.meindl.de/english/modelle/jagd.html

Cabela's
http://www.cabelas.com/story-123/meindlboots_810087_all...,+Innovations..shtml

Anyway, good luck with your new boots.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kenati