New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 Big Texas Aoudad
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It has been a great start to the new year for us and these 2 rams taken with us last weekend made it even better. These are free range rams hunted spot/stalk and hiking in west Texas.
www.westtexashunt.com

Specializing in Free Range hunts in far west Texas for Native & Exotic Game. Hunts for All budgets with Financing available.

www.westtexashunt.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/

Posts: 439 | Location: El Paso/ Far West Texas | Registered: 20 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You must have read my email to you today Mike... Big Grin

Seriously, that's the type of Aoudad a guy could make plans for. Well done and congrats to your hunter.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2049 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you!
Perfect timing, just read it this evening. Will get back to you first thing in the AM.

Specializing in Free Range hunts in far west Texas for Native & Exotic Game. Hunts for All budgets with Financing available.

www.westtexashunt.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/

Posts: 439 | Location: El Paso/ Far West Texas | Registered: 20 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We had a few Aoudads and Muflons on our 2 far West Texas ranch South of Marathon. I leased one and managed the other..We shot them and ate them from time to time, let our Deer hunters shoot a few of them..They make for a great Bar B Que..I liked hunting Aoudad....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Really neat!

How far are you booking out 2019?

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool. You have lots of options re location and I can't decipher between them.

Can anyone comment on the best time and place for a winter aoudad hunt?

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
How long were the horns? Look to be 34"?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am booked for mid February 2019. I don't know much about the best timing / place for a Winter hunt but wanted to say you should not go wrong dealing with Mulie Mike. By all means do due diligence but I have found dealing with Mike to be very straightforward and hassle free.

Posts: 2049 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
quote:

I am booked for mid February 2019. I don't know much about the best timing / place for a Winter hunt but wanted to say you should not go wrong dealing with Mulie Mike. By all means do due diligence but I have found dealing with Mike to be very straightforward and hassle free.

We shoot big aoudad year around on our place. Some folks say the biggest ones appear in the fall when the old lone rams come into the herds, but they are still moving around the rest of the year in small bachelor groups.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
quote:
quote:

We shoot big aoudad year around on our place. Some folks say the biggest ones appear in the fall when the old lone rams come into the herds, but they are still moving around the rest of the year in small bachelor groups.

And I think the cold months are good because they like to sun themselves in the morning sun on the South sides of the hills/mountains. They tend to hide more in the hotter months.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I think the cold months are good because they like to sun themselves in the morning sun on the South sides of the hills/mountains. They tend to hide more in the hotter months.

Hi Austin, I find encouragement in your comments. Making me think my February booking is a good thing.
I should also say sorry I was not in touch after my hunt at Rocksprings. Unfortunately I did not have very much free time in my schedule after the hunt.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Hi Austin, I find encouragement in your comments. Making me think my February booking is a good thing.
I should also say sorry I was not in touch after my hunt at Rocksprings. Unfortunately I did not have very much free time in my schedule after the hunt.

We are seeing 3 big rams on our place by themselves right now. My buddy is looking for them this weekend with his bow. They are out of the big herds right now. Bachelored up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We are seeing 3 big rams on our place by themselves right now. My buddy is looking for them this weekend with his bow. They are out of the big herds right now. Bachelored up.

Good times ! I hope your buddy gets to arrow one.
I'm sure looking forward to next year for my chance !

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Nice

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1430 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Good times ! I hope your buddy gets to arrow one.
I'm sure looking forward to next year for my chance !

No luck. Just two ewes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, those are huge. Great job.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best Aoudad Ive seen were south of Marfa, Alpine and Marathon, Texas. I think Muley Mike hunts those areas..Also around Junction and Senora is good..and the ranches are larger..oops almost left out that area around Ft. Davis, never hunted it but have worked cattle on several of those ranches and saw some monsters, but that's been a number of years ago, but Im told its still prime Aoudady country.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote