Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska Brown Bear Hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BHW
posted
There seems to be a VERY wide variation in pricing for brown bear hunting in AK. We are looking for a fall 2004 hunt, 7-10 days that is REASONABLY priced. Anyone having been on what they consider to be a quality, reasonably priced brown bear hunt who could provide name/website of outfitter would be much appreciated. Any other insight would help.

As always, responses to this topic are much appreciated.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd be darn surprised if you'd find what would be considered a "bargain" priced brown bear hunt anywhere. If you did, you're probably in for a wild goose chase and poor odds of success.

Looks to me like $9000 is about the low end with $15,000 being high end. I've been researching this myself.

Russian hunts are priced decent, but you'll no doubt come out about the same after travel expenses.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lotsaluck on a reasonably priced Brown Bear hunt in Alaska. Average price is approximately $11,500 for a fully guided hunt. There some who charge somewhat less but only offer the bare necessities for your comfort and are doing it on a shoe string. Like I said, Good Luck! [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

posted Hide Post
You could probably save a bit by hunting the interior, around unit 13. There are a lot of bears in the area between Cantwell and Paxson, both north and south of the highway. The average size will be a bit smaller, but there are still some well over 8 feet that far inland. We did a do-it yourself dropoff hunt on Kodiak Island in '97 and the total cost was about $3000 for 2 guys, including travel and shipping our gear and Zodiak boat from Fairbanks. Nonresidents, regardless of how much experience and/or knowledge, can't do that, so you're pretty much at the mercy of the guide service; they're gonna charge whatever people are willing to pay. The guided hunters we ran into on the island were paying around $10,000 plus their airfare. Both of us got bears, but the biggest of the 2 was 7 1/2 foot squared. None of the guided hunters connected while we were there; they saw some monsters, but they were rubbed pretty badly (this was a Spring hunt). Sorry I can't help you out with the name of a good guide, I knew a of a couple, but can't remember their names. Good luck.

Posts: 18 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BHW, like they said, it's going to be difficult to find a cheap Brown/Griz hunt. State regulations have it that all Non-residents must have a guided hunt for Brown Bear, Dall Sheep and Mt. Goat or be with their first of kin (second degree of kindred 19 years or older). I.E. father, mother, brother, sister, (in-laws included,) spouse, grandparents, grandchildren, son or daughter (in-laws inlcluded)and all the step one's too. So find that long lost realative and you are good to go. All kidding aside it is tough for a non-res for any of those species for a low cost hunt. Save up and buy the best you can afford after you have spent a lot of time checking them out. There are some great one's out there and there are some that are not so great. It might be a good thing to go to the SCI Show and meet some there.

John

Posts: 116 | Location: Juneau, Alaska, U.S.A. | Registered: 25 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
BHW:

Sir, you didn't leave an E-mail address where you could be reached. Contact Tony Dingess and mention my name and that I referred you.

If I manage to make it out of here alive and with all my limbs intact and working, I'll be on my first brown bear hunt in Alaska next Spring.

If you do a modest search on the Internet, you'll find Tony's website... something about "Revelation" something-or-other. Tell him I said hello and that I'm still alive.

Godspeed, sir.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hunting Report has one on their bargain board:
http://www.huntingreport.com/bargain_board.cfm

with Dick Gunlogson, 907-495-6434. You have to call Dick for details. This is for this year and not 2004, but if you can save enough money it might be worth going early.

[ 09-02-2003, 21:21: Message edited by: Randy720 ]

Posts: 156 | Location: Gray, Tennessee | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<DavidP>
posted
BHW,
7-10 days is probably on the short end of giving yourself enough time for an Alaskan Brownie. I wouldn't consider anything less than 10 days and a better range would be 10-15 days, depending on what you could work out with time and money.

I have a Kodiak hunt booked for Fall of 2004 myself. I can forward you some of my research info that may help if you are interested.

The only way you can get a guided - "reasonable" hunt would be to grab one of the late season cancellation specials that pop up now and then. The problem is you normally have to go on short notice but you can save a lot of money.

You might consider a grizzly hunt which is much more reasonable and can be done on a 7 - 10 day hunt. Although they are considered to be the same species in some circles, a bear in the 7 1/2 to 8 foot range would be a good expectation. A good Alaskan Brownie will run much bigger.

Hope this helps.

[ 09-02-2003, 21:58: Message edited by: DavidP ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can also check out Cabelas. They book trips and have short notice discounts available as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/inthefield/trips/trips-cancel-home.jhtml?hierarchyId=10410

They do seem to have alot of Alaskan Brown Bear hunts available.

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
John B you had me looking for my cousins brothers sisters boyfriend that was suppose to get married 10 years ago [Big Grin] [Wink] so I could go hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tony Dingess' guide outfit is Revelation Mountain Outfitters @ www.alaskahunts.net - He has a good website with much information.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They shoot some monsters around a place called Chignik, alot of the Kodiak bears swim back and forth from the peninsula(sp?) Look for a guy named Carlson,, Ernie, or one of his brothers, last I knew they were commercial fisherman that were/are from Chignik.
I doubt you will pay anything but top dollar, these guys will put you on a big bear, and it is a seller's market.
I knew them several years ago, and one of thier clients got a very big bear, I was there when they measured the green skull and it was 27.25, or maybe thats what they thought it would be after it dried, I don't remember. it is awesome to see these animals close up, dead or alive.

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tony Dingess and Revelation Mountain outfitters is a fine and well respected outfit. Don't think you could go wrong with them, especially if you want to put really, really big bull moose on the ticket too.

Another outfitter worth his weight in gold is Dennis Zadra out of Cordova. He owns Lonesome Dove Outfitters http://www.idohuntak.com/
Dennis is a an all around great guy and will give 1000% to make your hunt go smoothly.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote