THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What kind of pants do your wear for Spot and Stalks?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of pants do your wear for Spot and Stalks?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
WHat kind of pants do your where on your spot and stalks. the ones I wear now make a swishing sound that isnt good.
Just wondering what you wear for pants.
Thanks,
W.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get rid of those pants,they are GAY.Any old bluejean or wrangler camo`s seem to work just fine.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I wear Wrangler's just about all the time unless it is wet and cold or snowy then I wear Army Surplus green or gray wool pants (the "not Gay" variety just in case OLBIKER was wondering, no swish here!)
I've never had a single animal comment on my pants!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Microtex, Cabela's, just keep them away from a fire, they dry easy, are light wieght,warm,quiet, and if wet still feel warm. And the leg pockets are very handy. If cold I wear a pair of underarmor or cheap long johns, when wet, I pull them off spin them a little and they dry. They never feel wet. I have a son who is a guide and he has worn the same pair for 60 days straight, washed once, and held up great.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted Hide Post
My wife wears the pants, so I don't know??? Roll Eyes

But, seriously, I would have to say it depends on the terrain. I always wear a pair of light cotton bibs. But here in WV where I hunt, it's the sound of fallen autumn leaves that present the problem.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
get this,when hunting here in wyoming
horseback hunting for elk,i am wearing
a lite wool blend that was issued to me
in boot camp of the marine corps,30 yrs ago.
part of my original issue dress uniform.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Jeans like every other day unless it is too wet (rain gear).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I wear Wrangler's just about all the time unless it is wet and cold or snowy then I wear Army Surplus green or gray wool pants (the "not Gay" variety just in case OLBIKER was wondering, no swish here!)
I've never had a single animal comment on my pants!

Same here, tu2

Posts: 187 | Location: Late,Great Golden State | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
get this,when hunting here in wyoming
horseback hunting for elk,i am wearing
a lite wool blend that was issued to me
in boot camp of the marine corps,30 yrs ago.
part of my original issue dress uniform.

Are you bragging about the pants or your waist size???

Posts: 187 | Location: Late,Great Golden State | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
alittle of both i guess

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you bragging about the pants or your waist size???

Yeah! I'd like to see me get my fat ass in my dress blues 38 years later. I am on adiet though.

To the original question if your pants make noise don't wear them.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12929 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Tan Wranglers work just fine.

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it...So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so, a lot of people seem to wear jeans.
May I ask what it is you like with jeans that make you choose 'em over other alternatives?

Personally i prefer breeks made out of wool or leather, but hey, I am from Europe.

fat chicks inc.

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the Carolina Lowcountry, either "Rattlers" Snake Pants, or anything with a pair of Snake Chaps. Most anywhere else I wear relatively new camo that is a close color match to the terrain.

Rustler Jeans do fine out of season.
-----

Hey ravenr, Just tried on my old Class A a couple of days ago. I can pull it together, but it would pop the buttons off right now. Big Grin In about 3 months it will fit fine. tu2 Semper Fi

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots depends on the weather if it cold I wear old Mil surplus wool pants. Other wise almost anything works.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goldeneye:
so, a lot of people seem to wear jeans.
May I ask what it is you like with jeans that make you choose 'em over other alternatives?

Personally i prefer breeks made out of wool or leather, but hey, I am from Europe.

I wear Wrangler jeans almost every day of my life and have since I can remember, oh yeah I had an office job for awhile where I had to wear slacks but soon I was in a position to lighten up the dress code and went back to what is comfortable. I work, hunt, ride horses in Wranglers unless the weather gets too hot for long pants at work then I wear Carhart short pants.
For me its about quiet and comfort.
Like I said before when it gets cold, snowy and wet I hunt in Wool pants.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lightweight Johnson wool pants. The best.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Tan Wranglers or camo bdu's tucked in the boots during "flea, tick, and chigger season" down here.

Texas: No "swishing" allowed...except in Austin.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 31/2Makesmelaugh
posted Hide Post
Fleece over denim---very quite. You just don't want to overheat in them.

"Archery enshrines the principles of human relationships. The Archer perfects his form within himself. If his form is perfect, yet when he releases he misses, there is no point in resenting those who have done better than him. The fault lies nowhere."(Confucious)

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
All Depends Roll Eyes

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Oh Tony, you didn't!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
There's a few times I wished I'd been wearing Tony's favorite stalking pants!

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
There's a few times I wished I'd been wearing Tony's favorite stalking pants!

Like when you came around a corner in the Henry Mountains and was staring a bull buffalo eye to eye?

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Usually camo bib overalls I bought at Wal Mart years ago, or BDUs. Before that I wore Jeans of some kind. I wear the camo bibs because they are cheap and baggy enough to wear layers under them. I also like to put my binocs in the big chest pocket or tuck them inside the bib.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like pdogshooter I wear Mil surplus wool (dress, Class A?) trousers in cool to cold weather. They are a medium weight & more versatile than a heavy weight like Malone pants. I also have heavy weight Mil surplus for colder conditions (about same weight as Malone's). They are cheap & functional- and hold up well. Had them for over 10 years. I also have some Cabelas fleece which I also alternate in cool to cold conditions. The med wt wool gets the most use though.

For warmer conditions I like either Levi's blue jeans or my Cabelas Micro Tex. The latter are quieter. If noise not a factor I opt for the Levi's.

Note: I have killed far more deer wearing Levi's than any of the high tech camo, etc. materials. Although I have my fair share of camo clothing, I think it is, for big game hunting, overhyped for marketing purposes. Just look at what guides wear.

I have been on a number of hunts to Alaska, Canada, Africa, not to mention Rockie Mtn West, and on not one of them were any of them wearing camo. But, they were nearly all wearing subdued, muted colors. And, about half wore blue jeans, including in Alaska. I would like to see more of the stuff turned out in camo produced in just a solid olive color.

I have always been surprised by outfitters, who always recommend camo or muted(green, olive) colored garments in their equipment lists, and then when you get to your destination you find the guides wearing the stuff they do. On a sheep hunt in The Brooks my guide wore black pants (a high tech synthetic I think) and a white parka; trying to imitate a Dall sheep?

I do not think you can go wrong with Mil Surplus of the correct weight for the conditions. Much cheaper too than the stuff turned out by the sports clothing industry- and in my opinion better quality than most options and even the best not any better than the Mil Surplus. Mil. standards very high; has to be for what it is subjected to.

Sorry for getting off on a tangent about the camo.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Cotton....unless it's raining.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wrangler brush pants. They help keep the stickers on the right side of the pants while I am crawling. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like long pants. Big Grin

On the swishing part. I hunt in the western U.P. Whitetail deer will positively not accept any nylon swishing, period.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote