New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife shoots nice 210lb bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My wife finely shoots her bear after almost a month of trying to get a decent and legal bear in front of her.
After a 2 hr chase they put it up a tall white pine. She fires one shot with a sporter 98 still in 8x57 with 185 gr rem corelokt breaks it neck.
Kills it right there trouble is it never moved and was struck on the limb it was laying on 50 feet up. They had to go get a ladder and cut a long pole to get it off.
Too bad I had to work yesterday and could not be there to see her shoot it. She was very pumped she has a new respect for hound hunting now. Sorry no pictures yet well try and get some posted.

Posts: 19441 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is great. Good for her! I love bear hunting. I have never tried it with hounds but I am sure it would be quite a rush. Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find running them with hounds a lot more enjoyable then sitting over a bait. I find glassing and stilling hunting them very enjoyable also. But that kind of hunting is not a option in Wis. So it is hounds or bait. I have done all three from AK and Canada to Wis.

What is the most sporting it is hard to say each area has its own terrain and hunting proplems. Each type gives its own enjoyment. But it is sure fun hearing a pack of good hounds work.

Posts: 19441 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the wife. The 8 x 57 is a great and under-appreciated cartridge. By all means get us some picts!

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote