New
Find
Notify
Tools

suggestions please, quiet raingear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am trying to decide on a rain outfit for still hunting in the rain. I have looked up stuff on the web and the choices are bewildering. Everything in every price range.
Do any of you guys have anything you use that you are happy with and that is reasonably priced?
Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't settled these choices for myself, but anything made of nylon fibers or synthetics seems they'd be "noisy." But natural fibers like "wool" might be much, much quieter. FWIW.

Posts: 56 | Location: North Wett WA | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer a lightweight nylon rain suit but then I put on a set of cotton camos over it. A big leaf sized garbage bag with a neck slit and arm slits with cammie over it don't do no bad job.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with Cabela's Rain Suede for the last couple years. Have been in some pretty nasty weather and it has always kept me dry. It seems to be as quiet as any "quiet rainwear". I wear mine bowhunting with complete confidence. TTS

Posts: 84 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was very intrigued by Frog Toggs when I ran across them at a gun show last week. Incredibly light and compact. If they really are as wind and waterproof as claimed I'll be puttting a set in my hunting pack. A suit of jacket & pants is less than the cost of a mediocre pair of Gore Tex pants or a jacket.

The seams are welded super sonically, so no needle holes to seal or leak.

The demo gadget was a clear plastic cylinder sitting vertically with a piece of the fabric stretched across the middle. Water was standing on top of the fabric in the top half and a aquarium pump was pumping air into the bottom half of the tube. Air bubbles were coming up through the fabric but no water was going down through.

My main concern is about durability. I wonder how susceptible the fabric is to snags & abrasion. The fabric feels somewhat like, and is at least as hard to tear as Tyvek.

Posts: 20 | Location: Montana | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a fairly new company here in Seattle with a product that I am wanting to try this next year. I have looked at their product and it is light weight and extremely waterproof. Their prices are on par with any Cabela's product. Their name is Rivers West. You can check them out online at www.riverswest.com Ask for more info and they will send you a packet with a sample of their material.

We Seattleites now about rain and staying dry. You might check them out. Best of luck.

Autumn Pulse

Posts: 33 | Location: WA State | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just looked at 2 jackets at the farmers coop by Rocky. They were so close to perfect,but not quite. The one that was camo had fleece on the outside(perfect) but it was reversible and had nylon on the inside. I was wearing a sweatshirt and when I put onf the coat and moved around I could hear the nylon underneath.
The one that was just fleece with no nylon was not cammo.
I may have to reconsider the jacket with the nylon lining.It seems though,there should be a jacket with just the fleece that is camo.
I may consider the cabelas rain suede, and I have ordered a catalogue from rivers west.

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend Cabela's MT050 Rain Equipment - I've got both the jacket and pants - like most Cabela's hunting clothing, they are worth the price.

The outside fabric is quiet and tough - doesn't pick up burdocks, nor do briars have any effect on it. It's as waterproof as any fabric comes - no leaks on seams, no problem if you sit on something wet.

I guess it all depends on your idea of "reasonably priced", but staying completely dry just one hunting season was worth the extra bucks spent.

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
I'll give a VERY strong second to Erict's suggestion of MT050 by Cabela's. I busted through brush on Alaska's VERY rainy Kodiak Island day in and day out for several weeks last summer. I was wearing the MT050 pants. I remember thinking once that my pants were gonna leak like crazy, after having slid over 150 yards on my belly down a big wash to help a client get a better angle on an animal. But nope... still dry as a bone.

The only thing that makes me mad about the MTO50 is that they quit making it in plain green. I really DISLIKE camo. Never had much use for it, except for calling coyotes or turkey... and even that is questionable.

The other raingear that I would highly recommend (bought some for my dad for Christmas) is the "Helly Hansen Impertech". Great stuff also, tough as nails, still quiet AND pliable when it gets cold, but I don't think it's breathable. Not a big deal if you're not walking your butt off for long periods of time.

Good luck!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Working in the forest industry in the Pacific Northwest has allowed me to "test" many different types of rain gear. When you spend a day in the woods during December or January, you know you are going to get wet, and for me, it's all about minimizing how miserable I am going to be. I have come back to using Filson tin pants (with good suspenders), and a Filson Outfitter wool/shelter cloth sweater, with polypropelene long underwear. The tin pants aren't the quietest material, but they are natural, and I have found that natural materials don't seem to scare off the game like synthetic materials do.

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beemanbeme:
I prefer a lightweight nylon rain suit but then I put on a set of cotton camos over it. A big leaf sized garbage bag with a neck slit and arm slits with cammie over it don't do no bad job.

I've gone the "improvised" route many a time myself!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote