New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Do you eat what you shoot?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I eat most animals I shoot. If you hunt in Africa, you cannot take home what you shoot, at least not the edible parts. If you shoot bears, you will find out that sometimes they are great and sometimes they taste like dead fish. I don't shoot dog-like animals or rodents. Moose, elk, deer, antelope, and caribou (in that order) are to be coveted and only shared with close family members and maybe a close friend. But, killing big animals is usually about the hunting and the killing. The eating part is something else.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes I eat what I shoot, that which does not fit the category of varmint that is.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
Just my own personal opinion but it seems pointless to me to go hunting and not eat it. But as long as the meat's not wasted, I don't have a problem with those that don't.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I eat most of the game I take, the rest I will give away. I have not a problem with those who don't eat what they take (if I didn't like the taste of something, I doubt it would make my hunt any less desirable) as long as they see to it that it does go to someone who will.

Maybe it's Appalachian culture, or ??, but I havn't noticed any problems in my area with meat going to waste. Even a fresh roadkill deer will often cause alot of tailgaites to drop and an occasional fist fight

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I eat all the game such as elk, deer, goose, pheasant. I leave the coyotes, prarie dogs, etc.

currently in the freezer is elk, moose, antelope, caribou, Nilgai, deer, pheasant, and some fish. Getting real low on elk, caribou, and moose.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I eat all the deer, pigs, dove, quail, and ducks I shoot. The 'yotes, coons, gophers, etc. are left for the buzzards!

When the freezer is full and the extended family has all they want, I put the guns up for the year.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The older I get, the more I respect game or for that matter fish. With the exception of coyotes, I don't hunt anything that I don't plan to consume myself with family or friends. I have passed up game, or thrown back(fish) that I didn't think I could consume. I just can't kill something only to give it away. My $.02, capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I eat it or give it to someone who will, only animals I dont eat are rats and cats,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy. I was reading through another thread on this forum and it got me to thinking: What percentage of hunters actually eat the game that they kill? Some of the most serious hunters I know (guys who live, eat and breathe hunting) dislike eating wild game and actually look down on the "meat hunters" of our community. I also know some fellows who won't hunt if they don't plan on eating what they kill. I've done some guiding for deer and elk and it seems that about 75% of the paying clients don't keep the meat. If they don't want the meat we have them pay the processing fee and then we give it to a needy family. As for myself, my family and I eat everything that we kill(usually 2-3 deer, 1-2 antelope, and lots of birds), but then we are more limited here in MT as to the number of deer we can shoot as compared to east of the Mississippi. I personally don't have any problem with not eating the meat, as long as it doesn't go to waste.

one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
I too eat the deer I kill, or give it away. I don't bird hunt, but admit duck and dove hold little culinary interest to me. I do like squirel, goat and hog. In the days when we had quail it was to die for. Never had the opportunity to eat elk or moose as school teacher salaries don't budget $5,000+ out of state hunts. My loss.

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I kill deer for the same reason most people eat beef: because I enjoy it. I like hunting. Do I have to? No. Do you have to eat any meat to live? No Sir. Plenty of vegetarians prove everyday you don't have to eat meat to live.

There is nothing morally superior over eating an animal than hanging its head on the wall. You don't have to do either to live. But by that logic, no who eats meat should EVER question the morality of hunting.

My spouse and I really enjoy the wild game I bring home, especially deer. I think most people either overcook it or don't cool it fast enough; who knows. I know we love our game meat.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the exception of coyotes/bobcats, I eat everything that I harvest. It is just a little bonus in the sport. If you go out and don't get anything, oh well...you at least had a good time. If you are fortunate enough to get an animal, nothing is better to relive the enjoyment of the outing than chewing on a steak you cut off yourself.

I do hear a lot of folks say they don't like game...occasionally you can get a buck that is a little gamey. However, more often than not, it seems folks don't know how to properly take care of what they harvest. Take care of game meat and it can rival the best beef on the market. Drag it through the sage, cover it in dirt, strap it on the top of your truck in the 90 degree heat and drive home and that is exactly what it is going to taste like.

MG

one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I eat the deer I kill or give them to Hunters for the Hungry. I eat squirrels and rabbits but I've never messed with groundhogs.

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife, kids and I ate 4 deer last year, and 1/5 of an elk, will be 4 deer this year and 1/3 of an elk.

I eat what I shoot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't had the opportunity to hunt Coyote ... don't think I'd eat them either.

We eat what we take in the field and are very happy to have it! There are pheasant, quail, chukker, duck and geese in the freezer along with the venison and the pig.

Hope to add to that and make it through another year without buying beef in any quantity.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
I guess it shows my age somewhat, but I was raised to think animals you killed were for food, leather, and little else. As a result, I never was too concerned about trophy rights. I do not think that trophy hunting is wrong, I think it OK, most agreeable if the meat is donated to someone that wants it.

To this day, the main personal objective in any hunting/fishing for me is food.

I have had many different meats besides beef/pork/chicken, and find most all of them OK, prepared in proper fashion for the game. That is not for everyone, and like I said, I don't really have a problem with trophy hunting for someone that wants the trophy. What I do not find personally appealing is waste for the sake of waste.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
.....it may be "waste", but I sure don't eat the coyotes either!

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

With the exception of coyotes/bobcats

And you really should try bobcat because it's actually pretty good. Even coyote makes an OK summer sausage if you use a younger animal.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
I hunt for food and eat what I shoot.I am not fond of Couger but I ate it!It has always been a food source for me and many others in my area that rely on Elk and Deer to get thru the winter months and Un-Employment time.Beans get old real fast.

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I guess I fall somehwere in the middle of your statement. although I eat some of the deer I kill, I give most of it away. I do eatr more of the hogs I shoot and moose as well. Predators like bear for instance I don't eat, I give it all away. I admire those of you who hunt and eat all that you kill. My family is city-bred and we just aren't crazy about the taste of venison. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do what I can. I've hauled elk from New Mexico to Venezuela and Dall's Sheep from the Northwest Territories to india.

I never much liked eating dove. I always tried to hunt with someone that did. Same with pheasant. Love hunting them, but they are about the most over-rated wild game I've ever eaten. I will fight you for a wild turkey.

Posts: 13870 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What we don�t eat, we can sell to private persons and restaurants. This helps to pay for the lease and the damage done by animals to agriculture crops.

I very much like game and also eat hearts and livers. Fox and other predators of course we do not eat, either.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote