THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    If you were going to stock up on bullets

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you were going to stock up on bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
in the current rifles you have now for hunting

Light animals-
Medium-Heavy
Dangerous-

What bullets and weights would you more than likely use? Say accuracy is suitable etc.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Currentyly I'd go here and get some nosler partition protected point blems direct from nosler for just $9.95/50

http://www.shootersproshop.com/reloading.htm

AND, once in a while (I think it's Midsouth or Natchez) has a hell of a deal on hornady over runs....I'd get some interbonds.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
50 grain Hornady V-maxes for .223/.22-250 on varmints/predators
100 grain triple shocks in my .257 AI
140 grain XLCs in my 6.5X55 (unless the 130 grain TSXs show more promise)
225 grain TSXs or Hornady IBs in my .338
260 grain Dead Centers in my .50 muzzleloader

I don't have a DG rifle (yet), but plan on a .416 Rem with either 370 grain North Forks or 350-400 grain TSXs

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
For me, from .260 to .375, it doesn't get much better than the Nosler Partition. I also have a .404j so NFs or Woodleigh.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Count me as seconding fredj338's motion! Nosler Partitions, caliber for caliber, cartridge for cartridge, are the most consistant killers on the planet.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh the sacrilege, I know--but I would have to have a bunch of Ballistic Tips. Even some coated ones from CT!!! Horrifying, I know.

I would also add some Sierra Game Kings, my workup/practice bullet often,

And a bunch of XXX's and Accubonds.

I know that's 2 for the heavy, but the Game kings are all over the board for me really, and for medium and heavy I go to the AB's and the XXX's

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jarrod, That is a thought provoking question.

To start with, I do like Sierra MatchKings or Nosler Ballistic Tips for "Benchmarking" a new rifle. Always nice to know what accuracy it is capable of before I go to the Hunting Bullets.

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
in the current rifles you have now for hunting

Light animals-
I use a lot of the 50gr Rem PLHPs for 22cal and 75gr Sierras in 24cal for all kinds of Varmints.

quote:
Medium-Heavy
Really depends on the rifle, but it will normally be Hornady or Speer Standard Grade bullets. Weights and style depend on the rifle, potential shooting distance and the specific Game.

No problem with Nosler Partitions here either. Some Lots of Partitions are amazingly accurate.

quote:
Dangerous-...
Even though some of the Game I kill has the potential to harm a person when the conditions are right, I haven't hunted where there are Brown Bears.

If I did, I still have a few really old Original Fred Barnes 200gr 0.032" Jacket Bullets in 35cal that shoot right well in my 350RemMag and I'd probably carry them.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would stock up on the following:

20 Cal 32 gr V-Max for my 204 Ruger

22 Cal 45 gr Hornady SP for my 22 Hornet
22 Cal 50 gr Hornady SP for my 221 Rem Fireball
22 Cal 55 gr Hornady SP for my 223 Remington

7mm 139 gr Hornady SP for my 7mm-08 Rem
7mm 154 gr Hornady SP for my 7mm Rem Mag

308 Cal 15 gr Hornady SP for my wife's 308 Win

With this selection, I can get by just about any hunting situation in this area!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go over to Midway and type in the part number
630494--they're selling .308 150 grain moly nosler partition gold in bulk at $4.99/50--wow
(There's a stocker upper!)

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I think about it I suppose most all of my hunting chores could be accomplished with Nosler Partitions (223 through 45/70), LBTs by Beartooth or Cast Performance (357 magnum through 45 Colt, and 45/70), and some .530 & .600 roundballs but I must admit my loading bench is nowhere near that tidy.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
TSX across the board.

AB, Scirocco, NP, and Wildcats in the mix.

I already have about 5000 btips.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought 3000 Woodleigh .416 410 gr bullets for about .30 each once from midway.I bought around 2000 .416 350 gr speer mag tip bullets for around $15 a box.I bought 8000 pieces of 416 rem mag brass .They quit making it once for about 8 years.I have around .30 each in it.I sold some for $1.50 each when you could not find a piece any where.I bought 1200 416 weatherby cases and necked them to 338-378 weatherby.I got them for .80 each.I am going to buy a bunck of 264 bullets I like for cheap.I bought a ton of primers and some discontinued H-870 powder.I need to get a keg of reloader 15 for the 416s again I used my last two up.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang Gdr416, you are stocked for life! I am envious. If I had to stock up one only bullet it would be Barnes XXX's.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
The 85 gr. Speer BTSP for the .243 and 270 gr Barnes X for the .375.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Versifier
posted Hide Post
Sierra .224 55gr SBT & 55gr HPBT GameKings
Sierra .308 150gr & 165gr SBT GameKings
The rest I cast, so several hundred lbs each of linotype, wheelweight, and pure lead ingots, and a lot of gas checks in .30 & .35 cals.

..And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
-Lewis Carroll

Posts: 224 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good question!
I'd have to say that for pest control (roo's, pigs, etc) the bulk pack (500's) Sierra 130gr SPBT. Cheap, reliable projectiles.
For Deer, Either Woodleighs 150gr PP or Nosler 150gr Partitions. Some years ago I lucked out at a gunshow, a fellow was clearing out water damaged stock. Nosler boxes, still in the bulk plastic wrapper (10 boxes per wrapper). Couldn't quite make out the labels, except that they were 270 and 150gr and Nosler. Got the lot (3 bulk wrappers, 1500 proj's) for $65 AUD, thinking they were BTs. get home, they turn out to be Partitions. Got to be happy with that!
Already got my lifetime supply! But the Woodleighs are great too.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote