New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favourite 30 Cal magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is your favourite 30 Cal magnum caliber. Looking to buy a new rifle for moose and black bear.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually have a 308 Norma. But out of those choices I would think the Weatherby the best all around for North america. Not a big fan of the Winchester. The only other one I would take out of that batch would be the 300H&H. But with the ability to get a Vanguard in 300 Weatherby from Walmart (before California stopped letting Walmart sell because they screwed something up) for under 400 bucks in a synthetic stock, really can't beat that for a working rifle.

Have you also thought about the 338 win mag? Supposed to be one of the best all around cartridges ever. I need to get one and find out. :-)

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You reload?? Makes a diffrence as far as my choice of .30 cal mgs go. I say .300RUM IF you load. ..sakofan

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I reload. And all I want is a 30 cal, not a 338-too big for me. I will admit to it and not a 7mm because I already have one. Was looking at one of the above 6 choices but not sure, was leaning towards a 300 Rem Ultra Mag but can't get it in a Tikka which I want. Can get it in a Savage. Hmm, don't want it in a Remington and really don't want a Winchester either. So it is either a Ruger, Savage, Weatherby vanguard or a Tikka which I really like. Just wondering what you guys like.

Greg

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the .300 Win mag for use on big animals like moose.It's never failed on me yet.
Dave

Posts: 74 | Location: Nanaimo,BC,Canada | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I'm a .300 Win. Mag. fan, and I've used it extensively for the last ten years for most varieties of deer, plus pronghorn, sheep, elk, moose, bears, plus African stuff from Duiker to Cape buffalo. It's never let me down, and I see no reason to go with any other .300 magnum -- I have no reason to.

AD

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Allen,

A 300 win mag on cape buffalo. Which country let you do that?

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coyotecaller: That is a pretty slick voting machine...I think its clever and there are uses for it on AR.

I have been using a .300 Weatherby for a while now and I like. The rifle itself is a run-of-the-mill synthetic/blued Wby Mark V (it was not that expensive)...but it is a very accurate rifle and does great shooting 180 NP at long range when needed. I use it on caribou, but there are lots of folks up here that use .300 Wbys as an all-purpose rifle, including use on brown bear and moose. I prefer something a little bigger when I am hunting bear or moose....but I bet you would be very happy with a .300 Wby. I have not looked at the Vanguards, but I bet they would do just fine.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the choices you mention , I'd pick a .300 Weatherby in the Vanguard...........

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Definately splitting hairs with this one.

Right in the middle is the 300 win mag which is a great choice. All the rest are so close that I believe they all would be great choices.

If you reload you could do well with any of them. If you don't reload I would pick a 300 win mag or 300 weatherby. The 300 win mag is the only one of these that will have ammo at all the stores here.

I have a 300 WSM and a 300 Ultra and ammo is limited here. Of course wal-mart opens tomorrow and I'll have to see what they have in stock. But I reload my ammo so that is why I picked these calibers and not just a 300 win mag.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Since you reload, you would probably be well served w/ the 300 Weatherby Mag. It is really close to the 300 RUM ballistically.

Remington makes cases for descent prices and dies are not hard to find either.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot all the .300's mentioned extensively. The one I own and have shot from Alaska to Colorado on Brown Bear, Caribou, Elk, Deer is the Win mag. A 180 grain North Fork at 3100 fps or a 200 grainer at 2900 will accomplish wonders. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
That happened in Tanzania. My .458 Win. Mag. developed mechanical problems, and I still had two cape buffalo, plus a lion left on license. There was no other rifle available to use but my .300 Win. Mag. Over the next ten days, I shot those remaining buffalo off-hand in the spine from about 100 yds. out, and each of them dropped at the shot. The lion was shot at about fifty yards through both shoulders and was killed instantly. Ammunition was Winchester's 180 gr. Fail-Safe load @3050 fps.

The country of Tanzania did not allow me to use the .300 on these animals, my PH did, and as you might surmise, the official Tanzanian game scouts who were with us voiced no objection. Such calls are usually left up to the disgression of the professional hunter in situations like this. This particular PH is adamant about the use of "enough gun" for dangerous game, but experienced enough and bright enough to know that "if you loose your shirt you cover your ass with your hand"! He had also seen me shoot a score of animals during the previous ten days, so he had a pretty fair idea about what I could do with the .300. He also called upon another PH with a .450-400 double as backup, and he was packing a .450 No. 2 double himself. Two PHs with two doubles was indeed prudent and sufficient backup, but these gentlemen never needed to fire a shot.....

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 116 in 300 Rum. It has a stainless steel fluted barrel with a factory muzzle brake. I like it very much. The muzzle brake helps a lot and it's a real accurate rifle.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting question and poll you have going. Not many answers yet, but I am surprised to see the 300 H&H having more votes than the 300RUM.

My vote would go to either the 300Winchester Magnum or the 300 Weatherby Magnum. I have shot both a lot and there just ain't that much difference in them. In my Remington rifles, which both have 24 inch barrels, the obtainable velocities with 180 grain bullets are the same. Both rifles also shoot quite well. (Yeah I know the 300 Weatherby would probably do better in a 26 inch barrel.)

Since you said you reload I will mention that an old pre-64 Model 70 I owned chambered in 300 H&H would easily best 3000 fps with 180 grain bullets with any number of powders.

Anyway, I would buy either the 300 Win Mag or the 300 Wby Mag in the rifle that you like. If you like Remingtons or Winchesters or Rugers, go for it. If you like the Weatherby's have at it. I would buy a rifle that suited me.

I can assure you the game you shoot will never know the difference.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I lived and hunted in B.C. for 7 years. After the first year I picked up a SS Browning Stalker. It wasn't as accurace as the 700s & 70s I'd owned before, but was acceptable (1.5 MOA). .300 Winchester w/ Barnes X bullets do wonders on everything that walks in BC, even Grizzly.

It was interesting to note that my gun either had a "fast" barrel or my buddy's .300 wby had a "slow" one. 72.0 grn of IMR 4831 was giving me 3150 out of 26" tube over the chrono. He couldn't get his Wby to do any better than that w/ 180s and the same length barrel and just getting to that meant burning a lot more "fuel."

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another note that 308 Norma is not present...but should be. It's similar to the 300 Win but with a longer neck, considered by most to be a good thing. In all practicality it probably makes damned little difference. Nevertheless, I'm sticking to my 308 Norma and will refrain from voting.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know I will probably get a little flack over this but I would stay away from the 300 Ultra mag yes it is a good cartridge but you look at the powder you have to burn to get the 200 fps faster than a 300 win mag it can be as much as 30 grains more depending on bullet weight. If you do not like the recoil of a 338 then I dont think you will like the 300 RUM either because it is about the same. If you want to get alot of speed and you are going to have the gun made I would go with a 300 Win with a 27 inch finished barrel that will get you very close to the 300 RUM ballistics with out the excess powder and recoil. 300 RUM owners I am not trying to offend you I just am stating some facts so please do not take it personal.

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

300 RUM owners I am not trying to offend you I just am stating some facts so please do not take it personal.

None taken. I've owned both. You just have to realize that those last 200 fps are the hardest to get. You either want them bad enough to pay the price, or you don't. I did.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Papershredder
posted Hide Post
I really like my .300 Ultra Mag.I can easily get 3300fps out of a 180grain bullet using RL25 without having to use a max load.I had my rifle done by Rocky Mountian Rifles,they are based out of Corlane Sporting Goods in Dawson Creek, BC.These guys do everything from mild to wild,you can check out their prices@www.corlane.com then scroll down to Rocky Mountian Rifles.I don't think there are any bad choices on your list,they will all get the job done.Rifle shopping rocks,have fun!!!

Posts: 157 | Location: Alberta,Canada | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my vote is for the .30/06, which is a "magnum" for the .308 winchester!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 30-338 (nearly identical to the 308 Norma) is top dog or "TOP-WILDCAT" if you prefer. Mine is on a Winchester model 54 and is very accurate.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I love my Tikka 300Win Mag. 165 gr. Barnes X bullets. Very accurate.

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
In my view, three of them are in the running and your poll reflects that. The 300 Win, followed by the Weatherby and the H%H. The others are just new-fangled hype, offering nothing new. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako 75 SS in 300 Rum has worked very well for me, Super
accurate with lot's of knockdown power!
hysider

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 300win mag or 300wsm are the most practical of those listed since they offer the best power in short and standard length actions.If you are going to use a long action you might just as well use the 300ultramag and gain the extra case capacity.The rest need not be considered since they don't make the best use of the action lengths that they require.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn you Tas! You beat me to it! Fine then, how about that good ol' magnum of the Winchester 94, the .30 WCF!

NH_Hunter

Posts: 97 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 12 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.300 Win mag. Easy to find ammo for, if you dont reload. I also like the .300 RUM, IF YOU RELOAD!!...sakofan.....

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the short mags come up short!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Although not needed for moose and black bear any you have mentioned would work just fine. I myself am a 30/06 fan , but i myself would choose the 300 rem ultra mag. for a handloader its the most powerful even more then the weatherby, and being a non belted magnum it gets my vote. I just looked at one the other day a rem model 700 BDL $579.00 not bad at all.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Hey hisider when did you buy that sako? i was under the impression that they didnt come in 300 rum and werent going to in the near future>

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote