THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: 165 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip for Elk in a 300

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 165 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip for Elk in a 300
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Stubblejumper, what gets me is your ability to bury your head in the sand on such a regular basis. I have killed quite a variety of big game with a variety of bullets. These include: Nosler Ballistic tip, Nosler partition, Swift A-Frame, Swift Sciricco, Winchester Fail Safe, Barnes X, Speer Grand Slam, Speer Hot Core, Speer Boat Tail, Hornady Interlock, and Hornady SST & V-Max.

Of the above bullets, I have taken more game with the Ballistic Tip than anything else. No more. I have personally seen them fail to penetrate the rib cage of deer twice and IMO thats two too many. It absolutely matters not how many game animals you've killed with ballistic tips. I've killed over 20 using that bullet with perfectly satisfactory results but have had dismal failures as well.

I see absolutely no reason at all to use a ballistic tip on big game. None, and if your pet hunting rifle won't shoot something better, it's time to look for a new barrel maker, gunmaker, or both. Judging from the rifle builders you recommended on the Canadian Hunting forum you could use some help in this department as well.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
I think you would be much better off with the Partitions. I had a 140gr B/T blow up on the shoulder of a huge whitetail last week. This was out of a 7mmRem Mag, at 166 yds. Three hour later, 3 of us had spotted him twice, found off/on blood trails, and we still lost him.
I don't want to start anything, but one time is all I needed to teach me a lesson.
For Elk, I wouldn't even think about a ballistic tip.

Just my opinion, but Elk hunts are pretty expensive.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken 3 elk with a 300 WSM using 180gr Fail-Safes. Very satisfied with that combination. Tried the 180 Fed Prem partitions, but couldn't get the accuracy I wanted. A buddy shoots a 300 Weatherby Mag and uses 180 BSTs. He killed 1 elk with that combo last year and speaks well of that bullet for elk. I like a 180gr BST for deer across bean fields, but (now this is just my opinion) would not use them for elk.

Posts: 51 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 05 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
165 gr, Nosler Ballistic tip for Elk in a 300 Win Mag. Is this a good choice?
I personly will be using the Barnes X 165 gr. in my 300 Win Mag. My buddy wanted me to load up some 165 gr. Nosler BT's. I also have some Nosler Partitions in 165 gr. also.
Thanks in advance

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
what agreement?

And, I get you on the cold weather. We've just had a tremendous drop ourselve here in Ohio, but nothing like you guys.

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Quote:

When you break it down further both bullets have the same force of drag acting upon them. Since acceleration = force/mass this same force of drag won't slow the heavier bullet down as quickly.

Doesn't this only apply if the bullets have the same shape? A flat nosed 200gr bullet has a lower BC than 200gr. b-tip. Isn't this because a b-tip has a more aerodynamic shape? What is the only way to give a bullet a more streamlined aerodynamic shape?(b-tip over a flatnose) In one way or the other assuming you are going to keep the weight the same, you have to increase it's length. Disagree? As a matter of fact I'd be willing to bet that there isn't a case that when two bullets of the same weight, diameter, and construction are compared, that the longer one doesn't have the higher BC. To make it more aerodynamic,while keeping the same weight, you have to make it longer. Is this incorrect?

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
To Stubblejumper and Beeman...

you guys are both right. The one little thing that's missing in the feud here is ENERGY. I have no doubt that a 168 TSX (for example) will kill the shit out of an elk at 400 yards. I also think that there's a good chance the bullet may exit, and expand quite well.

However, a 200 grain TSX from the same gun in the same situation will deliver more energy won't it? And perhaps a bit larger wound channel? And maybe drop the animal quicker?

I've never been in this situation personally but I would speculate that both bullets will in fact 'get the job done' however, one may be a bit better at it?

What I see is that if your gun likes a 165 or 180 bullet, then that is what you should use. By all means pick up that 338 when you believe it's necessary.

Here's a thought: my friend and guide in AZ tells every elk hunter that asks him about bringing their 270 for the hunt that it's a great elk rifle. He's been guiding since 1992 and has never lost a bull killed with a 270. His words:

"Now that that copper bullet company makes those new bullets that are accurate as all get out, moreso than the failsafes, it brought the 270 from a marginal elk rifle to a more than adequate elk rifle." "But the partition and A frame have always been fine too."

He's never been a guy heavy into bullet discussions or firearms for that matter as he is more of an archery guy, but even he has noticed that:

Even a small TSX bullet, in his opinion, has outperformed a bigger lead core bullet...HANDS DOWN.

I know this is hearsay, but it is what he told me. He was kind enough to send a video of about 5 kills over the last 2 seasons where guys were dropping elk at 250-330 yards with a 270 and 130 or 140 TSX bullets or the 150 partition or A frame.

One shot, about 260 yards down into a canyon, the guy dropped an elk with a 130 tsx. The bullet plowed right through both shoulders. Looked like a bloodbath on the rocks beyond the elk. The elk just lifted all 4 legs and dropped straight down.

It's hard to say if a bigger diameter or heavier wt. bullet would have done any better. Don't you think?

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
What took me so long? seems to me that I posted on this thread long before you did. Usual suspects? My, isn't that a clever line. I like it. Mind if *I* use it? Well if the usual suspects puts me in the category of gents like Chuck Nelson, Allen Day, Doc & others, I consider myself fortunate.

I also say that you have balls to quote Barness when you villified him because he had the gall to criticize that overpriced scope the Swaro A line! So, when his views conform to yours (which is not the case either BTW), that's ok.

I'll put it so there's is no doubt: If you use Ballistic Tips at Magnum velocities even after the manufacturer recommends otherwise you are asking for trouble, but then again given your predilections for ready-fire-aim approaches to the obvious, you are not one to let the facts het in the way of the truth. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

OUCH...why wait? Where will you purchase them? I just bought 7 boxes on sale from midwayusa.com for about 150.00!!

Why wait,because it is far too cold to develop loads now anyways.Our average winter temperatures here are way below 0 degrees F.We must buy in Canada as the U.S. suppliers won't ship to us anymore because of the agreement between our governments.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Speaking of liberals...I keep getting calls from the NRA...I'm a member...

anyway, they are telling me about the UN wanting to create some international ban on gun ownership and that some billionaire is trying to initiate the financing...some Soros fella...

I told them it would never happen in the US...if it did, they can pry my firearms from my dead hands...that is, after I've taken about 60 or more UN asswipes with me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Doesn't this only apply if the bullets have the same shape?

Yes, that's the comparison you asked about. Of course shape matters--it's 1/2 of the equation. One of the multipliers. SD is the other. The thing is, of all the things that determine the efficiency of the shape (meplat size, ogive shape, boattail shape, length, etc) length has about the smallest affect of all.

A long ogive, boattail, sharp tip, etc, will dramatically increase a bullet's BC. They also make it longer. But that doesn't mean all bullets that are long have these attributes. Some get their length because they contain little or no lead. They're long for a reason that doesn't help their BC. Just because most basketball players are tall doesn't mean anybody who is tall can play basketball exceedingly well.
Quote:

As a matter of fact I'd be willing to bet that there isn't a case that when two bullets of the same weight, diameter, and construction are compared, that the longer one doesn't have the higher BC.

Sure there are. TBBC's, A-Frames, etc are usually longer than a simple flat-based spizter of conventional construction for a given weight/caliber but have lower BC's. They're long because of all the copper instead of a sharp tip. One helps BC, the other doesn't.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hey, you guys aren't neighbors are you? Both from Alberta?

Thankfully from different parts of the province.Judging from the way he breaks his word he is probably a liberal(you know the ones that keep shoving gun registration down our throats)

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Well, whoever it was, they responded by telling me that:

"I find it very bold of you to..."

Ah, I remember. But no, that wasn't me that snapped at you.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I was really hoping that you were serious when you said that you were leaving this forum.That would have made me happy.

Tired of me calling BS to most of what you post?

Chuck

P.S. Please tell me one good reason to use a Ballistic Tip instead of a controlled expansion premium type bullet in the game fields of Alberta and I'll leave you alone forever. Promise.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

P.S. Please tell me one good reason to use a Ballistic Tip instead of a controlled expansion premium type bullet in the game fields of Alberta and I'll leave you alone forever. Promise

Because they shoot much more accurately in my rifles and after all bullet placement is the number one factor in obtaining clean kills.

Quote:

Tired of me calling BS

That will never stop seeing as how you are full of it.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

P.S. Please tell me one good reason to use a Ballistic Tip instead of a controlled expansion premium type bullet in the game fields of Alberta and I'll leave you alone forever. Promise.

uh oh...that's an opinionated question...any personal experienced answer will do...

How about this: I realize you are not asking me the question but I would claim 'ignorance.'

Now, arguably, that is a 'good' reason. Especially on my part. I used Btips for years and years never knowing they were 'risky' bullets. I used them because they were so damned accurate. My mentors in AZ told me that unless I hunt elk, I don't need a partition or any other premium bullet.

I never learned about Btips having a potential to fail until, Oh, about a couple of years ago. I never had a problem with them on deer.

Ignorance would be my reply...My apologies for butting into your dispute.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I never learned about Btips having a potential to fail until, Oh, about a couple of years ago. I never had a problem with them on deer.

Ignorance would be my reply...My apologies for butting into your dispute.

I have never had a problem with them either or I would have stopped using them.That includes use on elk and moose.No apologies are necessary.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

what agreement?

I don't have the exact details but basically Canada and the U.S. have signed agreements (laws) restricting the commercial importing of firearms,ammunition and components across our border.It also affects transportation of firearms across the border by private citizens.In order for a Canadian or American to transport commercial firearms(or components or ammunition) or privately owned firearms, into each others country a permit must be obtained.The american suppliers will not bother with the permit applications for smaller personal orders.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Now, let us know what kind of optics you prefer. LOL

In case you hadn't noticed this is not the optics forum so I will not discuss optics here.But then being off topic has never bothered you before.Neither apparently has not keeping your word.Or are you going to argue that bullet placement is not important?

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

As I said earlier,I have heard such great things about the tsx's that I am going to test them next spring.

OUCH...why wait? Where will you purchase them? I just bought 7 boxes on sale from midwayusa.com for about 150.00!!

I got 2 boxes of .277/130
2 of 30 cal 168's (my favorite for my .06)
3 of 30 cal 180's to try in my 300 RUM.

I honestly have not noticed a fouling problem with them at all. However, I did scrub the bores real clean before I ever launched the first TSX in any rifle. But I am fortunate to have handlapped barrels too.