Find
Notify
Tools

Eastern Canada Moose
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
I was watching something on the TV about hunting moose in Alaska. I was very intrigued by them, but price was a bit much. The Eastern Canada moose, however, is much more affordable and I liked that it could be combined with caribou. Has anyone been after these beasts. It seems like Newfoundland has a very high success rate for moose and I want one. I got the "okay" tonight for one of these hunts so I'm going to set one up for 2005. What is the best time to go that would give the best chances for success? Any info you guys could provide on hunting Eastern Canada moose in Newfoundland would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Al

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Sevens
Newfoundlands a great place to hunt moose and
woodland bou.Alot of walking in sponge like
bogs is standard...but there are alot of moose
and bou there.One of my favorite hunts.

e-mail if you have specific questions.

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.
You may not get tommorrow.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stevens--contact-SNOWSHOE HUNTING AND FISHING--Ron Hicks in newfoundland--Ihave hunted w/this outfitter 4 times w/great success. Am going for my 5th hunt in sept. 2005.

snowshoe@nf.sympatico.ca

phone--709-489-3017

tell Ron that DON HERTZ gave you info-it may get you a little discount

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To those of you who have hunted Newfoundland recently:

How did you get your meat/trophies home?

We've got a hunt booked for next fall, and are planning to have the meat and trophies shipped to us after we return home. However, there seems to be a number of complications, including the customs areas which may accept caribou/moose imports (in NY, I understand that game meat clears customs at JFK, but can only be picked up, at least if Air Canada's freight service is used, at LaGuardia). I also understand that CITES permits are necessary to import any part of a black bear.

Reports of personal experiences are appreciated.

Thanks.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whiteeagle:

I also understand that CITES permits are necessary to import any part of a black bear.

Reports of personal experiences are appreciated.

Thanks.

Nope! Not anymore. In 96 I hunted the "Rock" took a nice bear and needed a permit. Then in 2003 I hunted New Brunswick, taking a so-so bear after 5 tough days of hunting, and didn't need a CITES permit. My understanding is you no longer need them.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Hunting North of the Arctic Circle in �05.!!!!

Hey Mark...where did you decide to go?

Did you get your stuff back from Africa?

Jeff

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to Victoria Island for Caribou and Muskox! I've been wanting to do the trip for sometime and it looks like this is the year, only 10 months to go.

$%#@$%% NO we haven't gotten anything back from Namibia, 16 months and still counting Frowner Red Face

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
What have been your guys' success rates in Newfoundland? How many days did you go and how many days did you need? What is the best time to go?

Al

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sevens,
I went over one my first hunt ever outside of my home state of NY. We hunted the for a week from the end of Sept to the first few days of Oct. The walking was a lot tougher than I was used to but was well worth it. 4 of us went and 4 of us scored. 3 bulls with the rifles and one cow with a bow. We did not buy the caribou tags but they were everywhere. We went Woodland Lodges, the contact was Kevin Decker 709-243-2150. We found his price a lot less then most of the other outfits we looked at and I would have to say it was one of the funnest weeks of my life. After soon as I save up for an engagement ring I can't wait to start saving to go back! There are some pictures on my website http://users.adelphia.net/~fisherhahn/

Posts: 17 | Location: Buffalo NY | Registered: 30 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Sevens
I like the last week of Sept.

One thing,go on a fly in hunt rather than
a drive to hunt.It's a much better experience.

Also,if you drive the ferry ride is @ 8 hours
and it can bite.I would fly the next time I
go back.

We were into moose every day.I did not hunt
bou but there were alot of them around and
getting one should not be a problem either.

Jeff

Mark
That flat out rots!Stories like yours firm
my committment to never hunt Africa.

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
We've now gone twice, to Namibia in Sept. of 2003 and to South Africa in Oct. of 2004. The hunting was GREAT and I'd love to go back someday soon, but so far getting the trophies back sucks!!! If, when, we go back I'm not sure I'll even try to import the trophies. In a lot of ways the hassle and cost ain't worth it, but hunting in Africa will always be on my to do list!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have also hunted this year at Snowshoe Lake in Newfoundland. This was my first time. We went by truck and ferry and brought all our meat home in the truck. You need to return by way of Holton ME as that is the only USDA checkpoint. With the proper forms filled out you will have no problem at all.

I only saw one spike moose all week (which was very unusual for them and frustrating for the guide). The outfitter Ron Hicks offered me to stay and hunt Saturday as well. On Saturday morning I took a 48" bull moose with nice mass and palmation.

I would highly reccommend them as an outfitter. Tell them that Paul Shirk also recommended them.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Paul, what time of the season did you go? I've heard that the rut is a good time to go, but I've also read that after the rut is very good as well. Would going in November hurt my chances?

Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
I went in early November which was the last week they guiding hunts. Later in the year is better for visibility and transporting meat, but the rut is over so it is mostly spot and stalk -- which means a lot of walking through the bogs. The moose that week were obviously feeling the pressure from some locals in the area who hunting moose and caribou largely from the roads.

My guide said the best time for moose is early to middle October -- very few mosquitoes -- cooler weather -- and the ability to call moose in because they are still in rut. If you want caribou it seems that the later end of the season is more productive.

I think the later hunt is still OK as long as you are in good shape for walking with boots through bogs and prepared for taking longer shots.