New
Find
Notify
Tools

The finer things in life...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I thought it would be interesting to hear the forum talk about high quality clothing, boots, luggage, etc. Any experiences with Filson, Russell boots, Boyd Harness Co, Meindl hiking boots, etc?

What are some of your favorite products and why? I have a tin cloth filson outfitter coat coming, some Meidls and Courtenays but everything else I own is not of this quality. So far, everything has been well worth the price of admission.

Your experiences?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW,
I've been happy with almost everything I've bought from Filson. The single exception could be the bridal leather case that I bought before leaving for Harvard in the summer of 01'. Extremely well made article, however, the strap and buckle enclosures are fairly inconvienent. If you need anything out of your briefcase you can count on a minute or so getting it out and then securing the case for travel. I've resorted to a British Made Case from Levenger. A far more practical and well thought out article. To say nothing of being half the price. Filson quality is superb, however, they are behind the curve when it comes to design. IMHO.

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
The only thing I actually own from Filson is a Tin Cloth Hat, that is very nice. I have used their waterfowl vest (I think thats what it's called). It was VERY nice.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Y.D.: I have a few of the items I really like. One of them is my pair of White's boots. Mainly for sheep hunting in the drier parts of the state. They are a bit heavy for sheep hunting but were custom made to my foot and have been re-built twice. I like the ankle & arch support. Another item that I never leave behind is my Wind stopper pull over sweater from Cabella's. That thing is a God send & I think anyone out in the bush should get one. I also like the salt & pepper wool shirts made by Woolrich. Get 'em big enough to put over your regular shirt. My hat is a Filson with a small sun visor. Very rugged and has ear flaps that are held up by a set of rings in the front. When the flaps are down, your entire neck is protected as well.
One thing I don't care for in the bush at least, is my oilskin jacket. Too heavy & noisy but a good windstopper. My opinions at least.
Bear in Fairbanks

[ 03-11-2003, 22:15: Message edited by: Bear in Fairbanks ]

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Asolo boots: My father and I have worn out 3 pair and my wife loves hers.

Orvis upland jacket: Really worked well hunting pheasant in PA.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
<HBH>
posted
I wear Filson's Tin cloth Packer hat from early fall through late spring, if I needed to go undercover, I could likly just not wear that hat. Also have a Shelter cloth outfitters coat that gets worn a good bit

King of the Mountain wool fits into alot of my hunting plans, I have a bunch of hi-tech stuff that stays home much of the time.

Raven Wear - Parka and Bibs if it is real cold and not on the move.

I'll just add Lecia for optics to the list of some of the best money I ever spent.

Many Thanks

HBH

<Buliwyf>
posted
My ancient Willis & Geiger field jacket has been a true friend.

B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use . . .

Filson double mackinaw cruiser - Excellent
Filson twill field bag - Excellent
Filson duffles - Excellent
Filson tin cloth hats - Excellent
Filson wool bibs with tin cloth fronts - Excellent

"Might as well have the best"!

Their customer service is exceptional but you will likely never need it given the quality of their products.

I generally wear Danner Ft. Lewis boots for mountain hunting and those $4.00 farmer shoes you can buy in Harare for Africa hunting (either those or those cool "Rocky" sandals you get down there). Head wear is generally a camo bandana tied around my dome.

Best Regards,

JohnTheGreek

[ 03-12-2003, 06:19: Message edited by: JohnTheGreek ]

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of Georgia boots, they could use a better leather though. I also have a pair of Viberg boots for work. Its a British Columbia company. Best quality of leather I have seen in a pair of boots but not water proof. I have a pair of sportchief boots that I like too but I still need to put some miles on them to see how well they hold up.

I know some guys that are very happy with Asolo boots as well but I don't like the funky flashy colours alot come in.

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I work in the woods for a "real" job, when I'm not in Africa, and I swear by Filson Double Tin Pants. I hate raingear, and the Filson pants hold up climbing over logs or through thorns, and they shed water pretty well...most importantly, they breathe. I wear a thin pair of polypropolene long johns underneath, as they are quite rough on the skin other wise. Another Filson product I have that is wonderful is the guide sweater. It's heavy wool with shelter cloth on the shoulders. I love it during the cold, wet winter weather we get here in the Pacific Northwest.

Another product I really like is my pair of Jim Green boots. They are made in RSA, and you can get them at any Cape Union Mart store. They hold up very well in the rocky veld.

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Meindl (spelling?) boots.
Pendleton wool shirt and jacket.
Canvas wall tents.
Down sleeping bags.
A tooled leather cartridge wallet.
A fine belt knife.

Ahhhhh .... good stuff, fond memories.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While probably better known for their telemark ski and ice climbing boots, my girlfriend is quite fond of Scarpa hiking boots. The quality does seem to be outstanding.

JohnTheGreek

[ 03-12-2003, 06:27: Message edited by: JohnTheGreek ]

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think just about anything that incorporates Gore-Tex has been a godsend but especially a pair of Browning kangaroo-leather boots--lightweight and very durable. I liked them soo much that I bought a second pair in reserve. It always happens when something gives exceptional service and you go to buy it again, they don't make it anymore!!! At least it's been my experience. But now when the saltwater finally eats away the D-rings, I'll have a brand new pair ready for action.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't have any of the clothing,mentioned but I do use a pair of Russell Snake boots during deer season here in the swamp,these IMO are hands down the best on the market,have taken three hits on them and not one time have they come through.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
Yukon Delta,

A fine custom rifle, an original Parker Brothers shotgun, Filson clothing, Leica glass, all with Booker Noe at the end of the day.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just took off my Courtney's and logged onto the puter when I saw this. Those are great boots, I just love mine.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up with Filson and still like it alot. It took years to break in my tin cloth coat but it puts itself on now. Cabelas windproof sweater is wonderful and lately I have been buying Swazi from NZ. Wonderful poly stuff with the latest Gore-tex extreme built in. It can handle the rain here and not dampen up like other Gore-tex stuff I have had.

I miss Willis and Gieger though

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
I
What are some of your favorite products and why? I have a tin cloth filson outfitter coat coming,
Your experiences?

I have waxed cotton clothes and for hats, it's fine. For leggings, it's okay, for a jacket (mine is Orvis) it sucks. When it is cold enough to need it, the jacket is stiff as a board and noisy to boot. When it's warm enough to be flexible, it is too hot. Even in cold weather, body moisture condenses on the inside.

On top of all that it tends to wear quickly since the stiffness of the material repeatedly exposes edges to repeated abrasion. Thus, the seam over the shoulder is worn on the right side (from my double shotgun rib). The seams under the forearms are worn from laying my arms on tables, logs, etc. The cuffs are fraying quickly... In short, it ain't worth the money. Not even close.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Merrell Jungle Mocs. Putting a pair on after a hard day of hiking, skiing, or hunting is almost better than sex.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Brent

Orvis is expensive but it is not up to snuff compared to Filson. the Tin clothes are oiulo treated not wax. I agree with you on Waxed clothing. Always cold and fragile.

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gator1:
Brent

Orvis is expensive but it is not up to snuff compared to Filson. the Tin clothes are oiulo treated not wax. I agree with you on Waxed clothing. Always cold and fragile.

I own filson in everything that is "waxed" cotton except the Orvis coat. If it ain't actually wax, then what is it in that tin they sell you? I've never heard of oiulo. I'll have to find the tin and look. But my comments still stand for the Filson stuff I have. I don't like it for anything but caps.

It is really hard to beat the Filson "surveyor's" vest for big game hunting however.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is an Orvis in VT near where I hunt. It's full of rich guys with fancy clothes.

The deer check station closed nearby and we had to check one in. You know how it is, it's dark already and you want to get back to camp and get dinner going. We pulled into the Orvis lot and walked in and were met by the Ivy League types in there. I am kind of big and wearing my old stuff I got from Woolrich or whoever and my buddy is really big! In we clomp with our dirty boots and all. They looked really scared! They had no idea where to check in a deer and did not even know where some close spots were.

We walked out laughing.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Meindal boots are excellent, The next step up is the hsrd plastic Scsarpa boots for ankle support.

I like the fleece stuff because it's lightweight and doesn't abosrb water, and gor tex.

Maybe I'm too inundated with the high tech skier stuff that is alaways around here.

Yukoner, who posts here, likes (loves?) Filson stuff, but he's in better shape than me, so maybe he's okay lugging around wet wool! [Big Grin]

I hate raingear, personally, but I don't mind getting soaked as long as my sleeping bag is dry! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote