THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    NY Hunters - Any luck this past opening weekend?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NY Hunters - Any luck this past opening weekend?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All I saw were 3 anterless deer, 2 button bucks on Saturday AM and doe on Sunday AM up in East Durham, Greene County. Caught 3 ticks too in the 55-60 degree heat and wet weather on Saturday.

Any luck from other hunters in NY?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted just across the Hudson from you,and had similar results.With the cold now,hopefully more movement.

On another note;

My friends son shot a dressed 410 lb. blackbear.First animal ever,in a stand 1/2 hr into his first hunt!

Dan

Posts: 285 | Location: Red Hook,NY | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodmanDan:
I hunted just across the Hudson from you,and had similar results.With the cold now,hopefully more movement.

On another note;

My friends son shot a dressed 410 lb. blackbear.First animal ever,in a stand 1/2 hr into his first hunt!

Dan

Holy smokes! That's a huge bear. On Thursday 11/12 someone in Cairo took a 400+ bbear with a bow. It was in the local paper on Friday.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think the kid knows what he's done!

Taken in Samsonville south of Ashokan Res.

Waiting on photos,but is in the Kingston Freeman.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How did you like the rain on sat? I got a 5 pt at around 8 in 3m and headed indoors after that.

Posts: 1295 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Hunted in the town of Hume in Allegany county. Very wet opening day, but at least it was warm. Had to come in mid morning to dry out. Then back to the woods after lunch, and the rain started again. About 2:30 I was getting ready to give it up, but this guy walked by. Very very few hunters out. We heard maybe 10% of the shots we normally hear. Luckily we came back Saturday night, because the area got dumped on Sunday with snow and wind. Luckily my son was there to help me get him out, becuase he fell down a very steep ravine. Not a huge trophy, but decent size body.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2603 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. They really make you guys throw on the orange!
Congrats on a successful hunt.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually,we have no mandatory orange law;

Although they talk about one every year....

But;there have been 5 fatal shootings with in 6 miles of my house in the last 10 years... Eeker

Foolish not to wear some orange where I live !

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, orange is the best camo for deer ever to come down the pike. They just can't see it and it makes you look like the sky to them.
Deer movement is based on a lot more then temperature. It changes every single day and you will run into a stretch of days when the deer are already bedded before daylight. That is when you only see stragglers or a buck that can't find the bedded does. Yeah, he has the same problem! dancing
Only time in the woods will help.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job Hikerbum! Good job J Zola! Wish I would have seen some antlers in the woods.

I also heard less than half the shots on opening morning than I normally do but there were the same number of hunters in my woods as previous years.

The rain wasn't that bad. It was more like steady light showers than rain although there were 2-5 minute periods in the PM where it poured. But I wasn't that wet afterwards.

I know there are plenty of deer in the woods that I hunt. We just didn't see too many and it had to be the rain/warmth on Saturday and the 20-30mph gusts on Sunday that kept them bedded down.

I wear a good amount of hunter orange. There are too many idiots out there. I read stories all the time about someone getting killed. I just can't understand someone shooting at something without being 100% sure of the target and what's behind the target. A buddy of mine refuses to wear orange in his tree stand because he believes the deer will see you. He puts on an orange vest when walking to/from his stand. But I believe that deer can't pick up the orange and that's why I wear it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Please explain to your buddy that he is more invisible to deer with orange then he is with camo.
The only reason many archery hunters don't wear orange is to protect their location from OTHER HUNTERS. Keeps tree stands safer from theft too.
The only other camo that is good has a lot of light gray, even white in it. But it is not safe in gun season.
PLEASE WEAR ORANGE!

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was lucky enough to get to hunt near Fillmore NY this last weekend. Unfortunately didn't see much deer with the weather and didn't manage to get a deer. The weather was really bad with a soaking rain on opening day and at least 8" of snow by Monday afternoon. The deer just were not on the move.

I did come across a little 8 point bedded on the last day of the hunt. He gave me a long opportunity to shoot at him but my friend is trying to increase the quality of bucks on his property so we let him go as he was a small buck probably only 2.5 years old.

I did see one nice mature buck in a field that we were not able to hunt on the last night of my trip. All in all I had a great time just seeing different and new country and hanging out with good friends. I hope to be back in the future to hunt there again.

I agree about the need to wear orange when hunting around a lot of other hunters.