New
Find
Notify
Tools

How different is the Eastern Coyote?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We arrive to deer hunt about 5:30 while it's still dark and many times can hear them doing a chorus of howling. Right well orchestrated almost like each one has certain notes to hit. It has to be at least three or four judging from the noise. I've wondered what triggers that or even if they're saying what they think of us showing up.

In a way those sounds out there in the pre-dawn darkness add to the wildness of the place and to the hunting experience. But another part of me senses a little bit of unease, knowing I've got a long hike to do in that direction.

Anyway, as far as what they do with deer, there's no question on that. We've watched them trail deer of all sizes (they trail humans too in a way that makes it real clear they're in a hunting mode). We've seen them chasing deer by daylight and heard it in the night (right thru the camp - hard to sleep thru that). We've found multiple examples of what have to be skulls of new-borns and shreds of leg and rib bone of older deer. And I know they will in just one night consume an entire deer body leaving nothing by morning save a few tufts of hair and scattered bone fragments.

I'm convinced the herd is reduced by some X percent each year by them. What that amount is, is anybody's guess. It would certainly be interesting to know however. We'd sure have a lot more deer without them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dinsdale:
quote:
Originally posted by bbruce:
I hunt snowshoe hare all winter and seldom see coyote tracks around deer yards till March. Coyotes are now eating apples that are left on the tree's around here right now along with the carcasses of deer I left in certain easy to get to places. Coyotes are basically very lazy when it comes to feeding IMO. Very seldom do they Kill healthy adult deer unless there is heavy snow

These were shot today (Jan 2) guess this deer didn't get the memo.About 50 south of Albany by the Ashokan Resevoir.....

My bet is that buck was hurt before the coyotes got on him, judging by the amount of snow he should have gotten away if healthy. Don't get me wrong. I kill coyotes as I see them. I've hunted the last three days, some places close to deer yards and I haven't seen a track. But if you go to the same area's the first part of March you will see lots of sign. I've killed a few coyotes off ponds this time of year. they will drive them out on the ice and the deer can't run because of their hoves. Right now if your looking for dogs look to the roads where they can find road kill or where someone dropped some carcasses
Smiler

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
bbruce wrote:
quote:
Coyotes are basically very lazy when it comes to feeding IMO.

---

Coyotes are one of nature's best opportunists but are anything but lazy. I've observed them for enough years and in enough situations to tell you a coyote is just the opposite, in fact.
Well Bobby The coyote in Northern NY aren't like the ones in Texas. In the winter up here they feed on whatever is easiest for them to get at and then it isn't uncommon for them to lay up for two or three day's. It isn't easy for anything to traverse thru a couple feet of snow. In fact IMO the ice fishermen by leaving dead bait on the ice keep a lot of coyotes alive. I hunted a area this morning about thirty miles away at the base of the high peak area. our dogs couldn't run in the deep snow. either could a coyote. But a deer still can move around. Coyote have it made when we get a crust on the top of the snow though and thats when they will move to the deer yards.

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found myself reading this thread after your posts,bbruce - and, as a New Yorker, welcomed what an upstate New Yorker might say. (Entirely off topic -would you believe that I once shot a snowshoe - In Putnam County,much below you) I was out for ruffed grouse in January -and he was just above me and on something like a ridge above me as I was working my way up a slope -and he kicked snow in my face - I whirled and -violated the first rule of shooting - I fired before I even knew what he was. It happens that I killed him -and was astonished at how big he was -and have remembered all my life (I was`about 16 and 79 today)how I had violated a cardinal rule of using a firearm. Thanks for letting me know about hunters for snowshoes.

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An animal is only going to exert the energy needed to keep it's guts full. I think the idea of "lazy" and "energetic" is a misnomer when applied to wild animals.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerrypeters375:
I found myself reading this thread after your posts,bbruce - and, as a New Yorker, welcomed what an upstate New Yorker might say. (Entirely off topic -would you believe that I once shot a snowshoe - In Putnam County,much below you) I was out for ruffed grouse in January -and he was just above me and on something like a ridge above me as I was working my way up a slope -and he kicked snow in my face - I whirled and -violated the first rule of shooting - I fired before I even knew what he was. It happens that I killed him -and was astonished at how big he was -and have remembered all my life (I was`about 16 and 79 today)how I had violated a cardinal rule of using a firearm. Thanks for letting me know about hunters for snowshoes.
Well Gerry there is a few still in the adirondacks though the day's of limiting out are over for the most part.Too many Hawks and owls.I get out just about every weekend till the snow gets to high. I hunt them using a TC contender pistol in .410.