New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cow Elk "Meat" Hunt?????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a meat hunt for a cow elk this Fall. Colorado, New Mexico, etc. Any ideas as to where? Thanks for any replys.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I went with Elkhorn Outfitters last year for $1250 plus the cost of the tag.Camp and food were great. However, be advised that Bull hunters take most of their attention and at $4500-$5500 thats the way it should be.Six cow hunters in camp 100% fill.8 bull hunters 100% fill.I saw at least 1000 elk in one herd on their lease. I'm going back for a bull.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LBGuy, for $600 you can get a cow tag on many of the reservations around NM......wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Do you want to go with an outfitter or a DIY hunt? Rifle or archery?

For a meat hunt, I'd look at the 'meat' state and go to CO... pull out a map, close your eyes and pick a unit... have fun!

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
I suggest you contact Tim at Kiowa Hunting Services. They offer a fair chase, guided cow elk hunt on private land in northeastern New Mexico. I've gone on this hunt 5 years in a row and have always tagged out on the first day. The cost of the hunt is $950 and the tag (which is guaranteed) is about $375.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When is the season in New Mexico for cow elk ? That would be great fun and a good experience. thumb

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Got a good suggestion. Colorado has a late season cow elk hunt in December. Cost for an out of state license is $250. Lots of good areas to go to, and you are usually sure that snows have driven elk down off the mountain tops. And lots of BLM land where you don't have to pay trespass fees.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I have done the late season hunt in Colo. Whispering Pine outfitters, Craig, Colo..They are done with bull hunters in Dec. and there are hordes of elk, took me a half hour..I think they get $1000, 3 days with meals and lodging. All yobuy is your tag and tips. If you want to butcher it they have lots of processors in town...

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
There is no reason to pay an outfitter to fill a cow elk tag. Idaho has a bunch of late cow tags in various units that go unsold half the time, plus very generous cow seasons in the Fall.

http://www2.state.id.us/fishgame/

HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no reason to pay an outfitter to fill a cow elk tag.

That may be true for someone that already lives in elk country and has experience hunting them. I don't know where the person who originally posted the question lives but I'd be willing to bet it isn't in elk country.

Considering that a non-resident cow tag and travel expenses alone cost at least $500 (closer to $1000,) a reasonably priced guided hunt is a good idea for those of us not fortunate enough to live in the West.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying a person doesn't have to do some homework. Buying BLM maps, calling the local DOW officer, arriving a day early to talk to the people in the Craig, CO, visitors center, etc. If done correctly, it would be difficult for a person not to find a cow elk. Note, I said "find." Last year saw over a dozen hunters (most out of state by vehicle licenses) see a herd of elk pass by at approximately 100yds, give or take a few. It sounded like a 'Nam fire fight. One wounded elk... eventually recovered.

By the way, LBGuy, where ARE you located?

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote