New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunter Fitness
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The subject of hunter fitness came up not long ago between myself and two other outfitters (Wyoming, New Mexico and Alaska) over dinner. The complaint of one outfitter was hunters not being in physical shape to hunt the animal they were after. We came to the conclusion about 70% of our hunters are in good enough shape to hunt with only half of those being in top shape.

This has me thinking, how many of you train year around for your hunting expeditions?

Thanks
Tom

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I excersie 5 days a week all year long. A combination strength training and cardio. If i am going on a mountain hunt i add in a 1000 ft steep climb 3 days a week.
I am 40 and can keep up with most 20 year olds just fine.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you have time to think about your customers physical condition maybe you should take some of that time and think about their financial fitness.....and think of ways to lower your cost to your customers.

Never forget who is feeding who. It's none of your business what their rate of physical condition is. If you think you will have to work harder for them to be successful that's a decision you make before you take their deposit. When you take that payment, you just agreed to work harder for that client. What more is there to it..it's really quite simple.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
While not really interested in the financial aspect of a hunt, physical conditioning is one issue I have had over the years in doing hunts, and here is my take on it, your mileage may vary.

Not all hunters/Clients have the time to train that much for a hunt, they do have a life apart from hunting, and many of them even training that much will still not be able to keep up with someone that was raised in the area where the hunt is taking place or has had the ability to spend a good portion of their life in the area.

Also, and this does not apply to ALL guides/outfitters/Ph's, but some of these folks, especially younger ones are a tad too gung ho and don't really take their clients physical abilities into consideration. Not sure if they are more interested in their success rate/ego or what, but bottom line. it is the Clients hunt, not the guide/outfitter/PH's hunt. They are being paid for their services, one of their responsibilities is or should be the ability to assess their clients physical ability and tailor the hunt around that.

If a client is having a hard time at 6500 feet and the professional is hell bent on hunting at 11000 feet, then either the professional needs to work within the clients ability or set the client down and explain that even though the hunting would be better at the higher elevation but because of the clients overall physical condition they just can not hunt that high, and the professional will do everything possible to provide the client with a good hunt within the clients physical ability range.

Clients have or should accept the responsibility of showing up in camp in the best condition physically they can, that ain't gonna happen in the majority of cases. Clients are going to jump up August 1, with a wild hair and decide they want to do an elk hunt in Colorado in October.

There is no way they will be in shape to run across a ridge 8000 feet up in the Rockies, especially if they are from on of the more urbanised metropolitan areas and have never done anything more strenuous play a round or two of golf every month.

Hunters will on the average show up in camp ill prepared mentally/physically or with their choice of equipment.

Guides/Ph's/Outfitter will on average show up in camp with all cylinders firing and ready to help folks get their trophies.

There has to be a meeting in the middle and usually there is, as long as both parties are willing to accep tand work within the limitations that are in place.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
23 years and counting on active duty keeps me in shape. My current command has a very robust physical fitness program. 2 hrs every morning is set aside for exercise or as the Navy calls it PT.

Monday, Tuesday and Thursday are done on a personal level and for me that means a run of anywhere between 3-5 miles, pushups, situps and pullups. On Wednesday we do a commad PT session that will include cardio, sometimes a yoga type exercise and often some swimming. Friday is another Command PT the centers around a long run. That run will be from 10-14 miles and often is done through woods, in the surf or on the sand dunes. Most of the running we do on the command PTs is in some sort of modified battle dress so we're carrying anywhere from 20-40 lbs of gear.

So, my workout plan is lots of cardio, strength exercises and endurance based stuff. And, I get paid for it!

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
I always try to keep in good shape, if I don't I couldn't keep up with my son, who I hunt with. Besides that I have Type 2 Diabetes and have to really watch my diet and exercise every single day; It's best to keep in shape.

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Interesting timing for me to be reading this, I just now returned to my home from a ride on my road bike. As many on these boards may know from my past posting, I ride, race bicycles. I've been in the sport to various degree's for 25 years. I turned 50 in April and am getting ready to try and take a state title for 50-55 cat 1(mtb).

For me this is not conditioning for hunting but more of a second passion that gives me unbelievable benefit for my hunting.

I think ANY PH, when a client steps off the charter , sizes him up immediately and starts to think.....hmmmmm, I think this guy could walk for_______ and I might be able to get him one of those buffalo I saw the other day over_______.

In my case, I can walk for 20-30 miles daily for the entire safari, giving the PH (or N.A. Guide) the latitude to think differently, hmmmmm, this guy I just might be able to get to ______ and go for that other group of dugga bulls I saw.

North America, Africa matters not, conditioning gives me, I believe almost an unfair advantage.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3450 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I agree with Steve. I have always been able to go...but as I have gotten older (42 now), now really concentrate on working out year round (when I am not on the road). I work out every day I am here, do strength 4-5 days a week, and cardio 6-7 days a week. I usually do about 6.5 miles of heavy hills on elliptical on days I also do strength, and I do about 8-9.5 miles if I just do cardio. I lost 30 pounds last summer, and it made a huge difference in how much I enjoyed strenuous hunts. No doubt it will make you more successful over the long haul. Again, like Steve said, PH's or guides size you up and figure how hard they think they can work you and where you can go. If you are in good shape, they can take all reservations out of that equation and take you to the best places and to the best animals without worrying about you being able to handle it...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whew... lots of differing views here, and I think all of them are valid. My thoughts:

Most clients are well up into their adult years, often in their 50s. Metabolic rates slow, our jobs become more sedentary, and let's face it, we just pack on weight. Not much different from a mature whitetail vs. a 3 year-old... and the older we get, the tougher it is to take off.

About 10-15% of the folks in this country have back trouble. I am one of those... it limits how I can get ready, and really challenges how far I can walk to prepare, as well as when I am hunting. Doesn't quench the desire, just makes the preparation tougher, because a sore back for three or four straight months prior to a hunt makes it hard to keep doing the prep work.

Finally, I know of no way in the world to prepare for an 8-10,000 foot elevation change other than spending a couple of days there adjusting. It will happen, just going to be an ugly couple of days at first.

Now, having said all that, I plan to be in the best shape I can be for Idaho come October 1. It won't be what it could have been 25 years ago, but not many 57 year-olds can keep up with a mid-20s guy. We have to rely on mental toughness to make up the difference and just grind it out.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
Since you have time to think about your customers physical condition maybe you should take some of that time and think about their financial fitness.....and think of ways to lower your cost to your customers.

Never forget who is feeding who. It's none of your business what their rate of physical condition is. If you think you will have to work harder for them to be successful that's a decision you make before you take their deposit. When you take that payment, you just agreed to work harder for that client. What more is there to it..it's really quite simple.

As in any profession, doctor,lawyer, sales etc... when people of the same profession get together they talk shop. This was nothing about judging anyone, just observation of years of hunting. Any goal a person tries to accomplish in life is always easier if they are prepared. I realize a hunter from the coast of NC is going to have problems with the air @8000ft.
I do think it is the job of the guide to work with the clients ability, whatever it may be. That was not my point of the post. Hunters who put a little effort in before arriving, seem to enjoy themselves a little better.

I am also sure any Outfitter/Guide/Agent on AR remembers who is paying the bills. We all are blessed to work in the hunting business and I for one never take it for granted.

Thanks and good hunting
Tom

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doubless,

I constantly preach the benefits of cycling to all, specially those of us getting up in years. Back issues are a result of core strength deficiencies. Some bike benefits.

1. NO IMPACT. your knees, ankles and back will thank you.

2. Elevated heart rate, the longer you can elevate your heart and not bang up your body, will pay off in spades. or longer antlers!!

3. Firing up the bodies fat burning machine. The real reason bikes are so helpful is that you use your quads and hams for pedaling. these are your bodies two largest muscle groups and fueling them will burn fat at a higher/faster rate than any other activity. Your body will turn up your internal metabolic rate automatically and you will burn calories faster even when not riding (recovery mode).

You do not need to be a racer or even a serious cyclist to see rapid benefit from bikes. Besides running is not fun and bikes ROCK!! tu2

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3450 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
In good shape?

I antelope hunted with a couple guys last fall that couldn't even get in and out of a truck easily. Bothe were six foot+ tall and closer to 300 than 200 lbs.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
I agree with Steve. I have always been able to go...but as I have gotten older (42 now), now really concentrate on working out year round (when I am not on the road). I work out every day I am here, do strength 4-5 days a week, and cardio 6-7 days a week. I usually do about 6.5 miles of heavy hills on elliptical on days I also do strength, and I do about 8-9.5 miles if I just do cardio. I lost 30 pounds last summer, and it made a huge difference in how much I enjoyed strenuous hunts. No doubt it will make you more successful over the long haul. Again, like Steve said, PH's or guides size you up and figure how hard they think they can work you and where you can go. If you are in good shape, they can take all reservations out of that equation and take you to the best places and to the best animals without worrying about you being able to handle it...

Hi Tim,

Sometimes it makes the hunt harder. I hunted in the Brooks last August, the guide, Jason Fawcett, told me: Man...I can take you to...

It was the toughest backpack hunt of my life. Also on of the most memorable.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nganga, agreed, with one small exception... not all back issues are core strength deficiency related. I have what is called grade 2 spondylolisthesis. (Is that a 50-dollar word or what?!!) What it means is that some genetic issue allowed a short rib to break right against the vertebra, allowing the vertebra to sag and pinch the nerve opening. Mother Nature pretty well fixed it but it gets sore with much walking, running, bending, etc. The surgical fix is six weeks on my stomach, three months in a back brace and nine months of "light duty", whatever that is. NO THANKS! I will live with it.

Sounds like I will be shopping for a bike... and sorry; didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Good hunting, and success to all of us who pound the mountains and hills this fall!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
Nganga, agreed, with one small exception... not all back issues are core strength deficiency related. I have what is called grade 2 spondylolisthesis. (Is that a 50-dollar word or what?!!) What it means is that some genetic issue allowed a short rib to break right against the vertebra, allowing the vertebra to sag and pinch the nerve opening. Mother Nature pretty well fixed it but it gets sore with much walking, running, bending, etc. The surgical fix is six weeks on my stomach, three months in a back brace and nine months of "light duty", whatever that is. NO THANKS! I will live with it.

Sounds like I will be shopping for a bike... and sorry; didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Good hunting, and success to all of us who pound the mountains and hills this fall!

Its not a hijack, its on topic. Your spondilio..... sounds like your doing the right things to work around it. See your physician before you get on a bike. But when you do, make sure you don't just soft pedal around the block. Go a little harder and a little deeper every time you get on it.

Best of luck and WEAR A HELMET Smiler

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
I ride a bicycle a lot myself and it is very enjoyable exercise to me. Really good for you and low impact like you mentioned. I'm 73 yrs old, 6 1" and weigh 177#. When I first learned I had Diabetes I weighed 232#. I lost 50# in the next 6 months. I couldn't believe how much easier it was to get around. Anyway I'm not trying to tell my life story or anything, just saying it feels good to be fit.

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lost 24 pds and was in the best shape of my life this past february for my Mt. Lion.
I start training tommorrow AM for my Desert Mule Deer Hunt in November.
For some reason, I can only workout when I am training for something.
Can wait to be in shape again.
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What desert hunt? I live out here in AZ.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
woodrow s how does lowering his cost for customers, get them to the top of the rockies if they are 300 pounds.

Posts: 166 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in a situation this weekend were physical shape played a huge role in outdoor success. A large group of guys got together in Port Mansfield to fish the flats. In the boat I was on we ranged from 34-40 years old and all in descent shape. We are bigger guys, 6'-6'4" and 210-230#. Wind was HOWLING to 40mph in the afternoon so good water was hard to find. We found it but required long wades. We limited on trout and reds all 3 days but were physically exhausted by the end of each day. Some of the other guys were giving us grief that we were catching all the fish. Ironically these were the guys back at the dock at 11am and never went back out, they all complained that it was too rough and fishing was too hard. End of the day we were tired but had a cooler of fish to show for the hard work. Bottom line is that these other guys were not in the physical shape to fish like that. We even put them in the same area on the last day only to have half leave the area by 9am and only wade 200 yards.
I think you owe it to yourself to be in the best shape possible.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before I went to africa this year I told myself a year ago that I wanted to get from my bloated 277 down to 235 before I went. that I wanted to be able to do 20 miles on the bike and 5000m on the ergometer (rowing machine).

I managed to get down to 239 at one point could do the 20 miles on the bike and 6500m on the erg. My only problem was that my back started to have pain about 2 weeks before we left so I stopped cold turkey. NOt any of the excersozes fault just a combination of old rugby injuries and getting old (I am 45 now Big Grin).

I highly reccomend a combination of walking, stationary bike, rowing machine and teh stair climber.

I know if I hadn't gotten in some what better fitness I would have keeled over all those days chasing eland on fot in SA.

I am already training for my next hunt whatever it turns out to be.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1110 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a part time guide and a distance runner I see the need for hunters to be in some form of physical shape for the hunt that they book.

Expecting a pack animal to tote your 300+lb body up a mountain, or for the guide to be able to easily drive you within easy walking distance
isn't always realistic.

Most of the time arrangements can be made but I've seen guys book a hunt and not tell the guide about physical limitations until they
show up for the hunt. (needing a breathing aparatus, special diets etc) The guide already has a lot to deal with and do, he's usually up earlier
and goes to bed later than the client, so a heads up ahead of time would be the proper thing to do.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I work our year-round because I have a history of heart disease in my family. Having said that, what really motivates me to drag my sorry butt out of bed at 4:30 so I can work out is the next elk hunt. The first year that I went I "trained" by going on a fast but short (7miles) bike ride for a few months before the hunt. It must have been better than nothing, but it certainly wasn't all that much help. From then on I have biked during fall and winter 40 minutes a day with my bike up on a trainer, as well as 20 minutes of upper-body strength conditioning. When there is finally enough light at 5:30 for me to ride outside, I do-- averaging about 75 miles a week. It makes a huge difference in how much better I can handle the altitude.

If I had a job like Flags where I got to work out two hours a day, I would love it. (Instead I am paid to sit on my ass all day.)

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One outfitter friend told me they recieved a box from a client a week or so before his scheduled hunt. They couldn't resist seeing what he had sent ahead, and upon opening the package found 4 cartons of cigarettes and some size 54 underwear and 4XL tee shirts. They drew straws to determine the loser. Frowner

When he showed up, it turned out he was a distance runner and backpacker, and in the best shape of any hunter they'd had! Killed his elk also.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no doubt about the fact that if you show up for a hunt, fat and out of shape.
you will handicap yourself and increase your chances of going home empty handed.
its impossible to prepare for the altitude
if you are from "downtown flatlandville"
but at least have some level of activity
prior to showing up.
guides can sometimes pull a rabbitt (elk,deer,antelope,sheep,bear) out of their ass when hunting is tough.
but having delt with some "super sized hunters"
its heart breaking to see them transformed into quivering masses of jello after a short walk.
knowing you face a week of this,just to send them home without their game.
Is every guides worse nightmare.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ravenr,
I agree with your post almost 100%. You can if fact train for altitude. I live in Phoenix, it's obviously hotter than the hinges of hell here this time of year. Training in the altitude and the heat are very similar. Thin air. The heat expands the air molecules to simulate the thinner air at high altitude.

Don't get me wrong I hate it here right now but there are a "few" advantages.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going elk hunting in rugged mountain cou9ntry in the Weminuche Wilderness in SW Colorado hunting near treeline in mid-October this year. I have hunted there twice before. I have done 35 mile backpacking trips in this wilderness twice before.

I started the year about 35 LBS overweight. I've lost 30 LBS and will probably trim off another 5 LBS. I say "probably" because the right weight is not not entirely clear. I lose 10 LBS during the usual elk hunting trip and/or backpacking trip.

I try to workout most of the year -- but I do tend to back-off or quit working out November to December. I have been increasing my workout intensities progressively throughout the year. I feel very good now and think I'm doing about the level of workout I have done in the past immediately before the hunting trip. Because I have some 2.5 months before my trip, I'm planning to increase my workouts by adding some new exercises.

I added deadlifting two weeks ago and will continue this twice per week through the hunt. I can tell this is giving me a very good workout and working some muscles that weren't fully used before. I've added wrist curls this summer -- prop arm on table, grip 25 LBS bar bell and repeatedly flex wrist up and down full travel 25 times or more. Sounds simple -- do it 50 times, full travel, and report back. I'm also going to start an exercise to develop my grip strength. I'm going to pinch two 25 LBS disks (weights for weight bar) and pass from hand to hand, thereby alternating the squeeze exercise. I'm also planning to add interval training -- running fast for 30 seconds, walking or running easy for 60 or 90 seconds and alternate back and forth.

If I do my training right, I find I have endurance for long days and heavy work of packing out elk meat and to do this for several days in a row. If I'm climbing steep hills, sorry, but I still need to stop to catch my breath from time to time. I'm not sure a low lander can avoid that. Also, I've done 16 miles with 3500 feet of climb in a day, when backpacking. This level of exercise that I'm at now is at or above that level. But as I say, I'm not running any Olympic grade times in the 400 yard dash at treeline!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not that it matters, but I didn't mention any of my particular workout routine. I run on one day and do strength exercises on intervening days. I workout 6 days or 8 days or 10 days and take 2 days off. If I'm where I want to be in my weight and conditioning the schedule is 6 days workout and 2 days off. If I'm losing weight or building conditioning, I workout everyday until I begin to feel I'm overdoing it. I'm 55 years old, and I know I can get to my conditioning goal . . . if I don't sustain an injury, like a pulled calf muscle or a pulled hamstring muscle or a pulled back muscle. So when I feel soemthing isn't right and there is undue fatigue after 12 straight days of workouts, that's when I take a couple days off.

I run 3 miles on a treadmill on a 6 degree slope. 2.5 miles is run at 5 MPH; 0.5 miles is run at 5.5 MPH. Granted, no real fast pace there, just a steady pace that builds stamina though not necessarily wind. I don't like to run on concrete as I've pulled a muscle running on concrete before. I like to run in the grass outside, but then the unreliability of the environment enters into the picture. Can't run in the dark in the grass unless you want to risk stepping in a hole and pulling a muscle. Can't run at after work here in Texas -- 100+ degrees and unhealthy levels of ozone. In the spring, you might be prevented from running from weeks because of sodden fields. The treadmill works every day at any time of day.

I do 3 sets of strength exercises of a potpourri of things -- lunges, wrist curls, pushups, sit ups, back arches, bicep curls, squats, knee lifts (2.5 LBS weights on each ankle, lift both knees up as high as possible 50 times), leg scissors (2.5 LBS weight on each ankle, lay on side, lift leg sideways in scissors motion 75 times), lifting 25 LBS bar bells straight up bending elbows along side, lifting 15 LBS bar bells with straight arm swinging arms in arc in front to over head position, lifting 15 LBS bar bells with straight arm sideways to over head. I view this is providing just a general good all around conditioning. I do deadlifts twice per week, and I'll do the grip exercise twice per week when I start that. I also walk 2+ miles every morning and sometimes walk again at night. I climb 7 flights of stairs to my office twice per day -- once in the morning burdened with my laptop and files -- taking two steps at a time (different muscle strain I find -- works my muscle on the frong of my thigh, a climbing muscle, better I think).

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
My favorite way to hunt elk when I am home in Colorado is to track them in the snow during the late season. I started trail running about five years ago to keep in shape for it. Last weekend in a race I ran 80 miles at an average elevation of 8,600 feet with approximately 20,000 feet of climbing, and did it in 22-3/4 hours. At 52 I believe that I can keep up with almost any guide or outfitter and walk a lot of them into the ground. If you get shoes that are correct for you and stay off of pavement when you run, you will avoid most runner's injuries. Also, buy its nature, trail running, especially technical trails in the hills or mountains will work most of your body. I supplement it with core training.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to Canada for a whitetail hunt in November. I'm trying to fatten up. Outfitter said to be prepared for -30.
It's the last week of deer season. I ain't running one yard...

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
yuck

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My daughter dated a guy who had been an elk guide for a few years. He moved back East to find a girl to marry. Damn, it didn't work out. He always told me that it seemed that a lot of the guys he guided had worked their whole lives and raised their kids, before they could afford to go elk hunting. When they finally could afford it, they were almost too old and worn out to do it. He was young, strong as a bull, and lived at altitude. His clients weren't and didn't.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Black Fly sez is true. And knowing that, the guides should be ready to make accomadations. We didn't get an animal because my sport wasn't in shape should not be an acceptable excuse.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
20+ year ago I worked as a guide in Colorado, our main camp was at 10,000 ft. I had lived at around 4800 most of my life but it was still a shock and took a few weeks. I worked pack and fishing trips all summer at 9000 to 12000 ft and by the time bow season came along I could handle miles and miles of hiking at 10K+.

First bow client I had smoked 3+ packs a day, worked a desk job, and lived at sea-level. The poor guy almost died, seriously. Whose fault was that? I blame the outfitter/booking agent that sold this guy a "once in a lifetime" hunt that almost became an "end of a lifetime" hunt. True the client should have asked more questions or at least done some research, but a little truth in advertising would have helped. Did get him an elk though. How? Put him in a tree stand on a well used trail, rode a horse to the base of the tree, still tough for him to climb but it worked.

We also had guys show up with oxygen bottles and c-pap machines over the years, if this is your life you must tell the outfitter before hand, long before hand. Had one guy throw a fit because we couldn't accomodate his medical problems ( Which we didn't know anything about until he showed at camp!!!!). The boss ended up having to drive him back to Denver! He then got extra pissed off because the boss would not refund his trip deposit!

Even if you are in good shape the jump from sea-level to 10K+ will knock the crap right out of you for a bit. I suggest that you see if you can come early and just hang out for a few days at elevation. We had a couple of guys do that and they thought it helped.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one last thought. I think that there should be a suitable match between one's hunting goals and one's physical condition. If you want an outstanding bull elk, you will likely need to go to a remote, difficult location to get it. To succeed under difficult circumstances -- maybe with only one opportunity to fulfill your goal -- physical conditioning is important. Another way to look at it is that physical conditioning is one of the cards in your hand when playing elk hunting poker. You may be in great shape, but if you can't shoot well enough to hit the broad side of a barn, that physical conditioning may not help much. It is a matter of having the desire to invest in oneself to have an advantageous hand.

Speaking for myself, I am not a trophy hunter. I am planning to take a cow elk if one shows during my first season rifle hunt in Colorado. Antler size just isn't what my hunting is about. I can understand, however, that if that is the objective, there needs to be some adaptation of the hunter to improve the odds of taking what is -- mathematically, statistically speaking -- a very very rare animal. In fact, this is largely the definition of a trophy elk -- it is an elk with antlers of a very rare stature -- maybe in the 95% of all antlered elk? maybe in the upper 98% of all antlered elk?

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
My experience with guides has been that many of them do not know how to walk with other people or just want to impress their client. If I don't tell you where we are going, how far, type of terrain, when we will stop, etc., it is easy to walk anyone in the ground. Its the oldest trick in the book used by senior military cadre to walk the young studs into the ground. I used it all the time when I worked at Camp Mackall years ago. Many guides walk through the woods like they are by themselves. I am in above average shape but I always brief the guide that I am there to enjoy my hunt and the outdoors. I have no interest in a forced march or a tough man contest. However, as a client, it is my responsiblity to be in shape for the task I hope to accomplish and not place any additional burdens on the guide.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last two post are good ones. There is a "shared responsibility". And if you, the sport, have special health requirements, it is incumbent on you to let the outfitter know. Without advanced notice, what could be a routine "nothing", can turn into a hugh hassle once you get into the rough and remote and the sport asks "you mean there's no plug-in so I can recharge my oxygen bottle each night?"
I worked for an airline for 40 years and nothing will edge your teeth like a quad (who made his reservations 2 months ago) that rolls up to the counter and starts listing all of his "special needs" on a flight that leaves in 20 minutes. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just finshed a 50 mile road bike race road the last 2 miles on a flat tire.

I run, bike do push ups ,situps work out on a heavy bag and lift some weights. I try do some or all 7 days a week run at least 3 times a week.

Train hard hunt hard the older you get the more imported keeping active is.

That said I just got done with week of back backing in Wyoming above 9200 feet the frist 2 days kicked my ass.

Been there before never had any trouble don't lnow what happen this trip. After the 3rd day I felt great.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
You must stay in shape all year long. Myself I hike into alot of mtn lakes in the summer,walk the dogs in the evenings a few miles,walk to work every day-(good weather-2 miles one way),do bowflex every day,eat right and take the right vitamins, and have the right mind set-you must have the drive in your heart to be healthy . Hunting in Montana for lions,elk, you are always going uphill so you can run or just take your time but at a good pace.Just remember you must be having fun or it work and that is not fun for anyone. patriot ..

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being in good shape, subjective good shape and not what you think is good, makes hunting both possible and enjoyable. It's also good for you if good is defined as longer more enjoyable life.
You can still go out and "harvest" something if you are crippled, lazy or full of bullshit excuses of course, that's why whitetail deer and turkey are so popular here in the good ol USA.