THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Best place for 180+ Mule Deer bowhunting

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best place for 180+ Mule Deer bowhunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted
Taken my share of Mule Deer over the years with both rifle and bow but have never focused on taking a real nice (180+) Muley with a bow..

I'm thinking Sonora is my best bet..

Thoughts?

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Color Country Outfitters in Southern Utah. Possibly Western Lands in Northern Utah. Or purchase a Landowner permit in Utah or Colorado and book a guide who hunts on private lands within the unit. Sonora under a feeder might work out.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I don't have the finances to purchase that kind of hunt, but the Northern New Mexico units specifically 5A, 5B, 51B, 4, 2B and 2C are the best mule deer units in our state.

They are either butting up against the Jicarilla Indian Reservation that has some of the best mule deer on the planet or near it.

You might benefit from an outfitter, I don't know any that guide that area. The ones I work with guide in the Gila and in 34. Both places suck for big mule deer.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok scrub what I wrote above.

You aren't going to get one of those tags, as they don't have at least 13 resident tags.

So not sure then.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MC:
Color Country Outfitters in Southern Utah. Possibly Western Lands in Northern Utah. Or purchase a Landowner permit in Utah or Colorado and book a guide who hunts on private lands within the unit. Sonora under a feeder might work out.

I need to research the Utah landowner tags.. Hopefully talk to some outfitters in Vegas this week.

I have 400 acres under lease in eastern Nebraska but see very few mule deer. Lots of whitetails but few muleys..

The big challenge is scouting - that is why I pretty much always use an outfitter / guide...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’d think a CWMU hunt in Utah would fit exactly what you’re looking for, possibly a Ranching for Wildlife tag in Colorado also

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott:

Let introduce you to someone later this week.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Webster:
I’d think a CWMU hunt in Utah would fit exactly what you’re looking for, possibly a Ranching for Wildlife tag in Colorado also

Ranching For Wildlife tags are for residents only, I don't remember what year they changed it.

Posts: 356 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are non-resident Colorado ranching tags. It has a different name.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Aaron Neilson has some great muley hunting on the planes of eastern Colorado as well.

You might contact him.