New
Find
Notify
Tools

fun buff hunt last saturday
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

spent last saturday hunting buffalo in n.mexico.
got 4" of fresh snow and tracked this bull to death.
spotted him about 9:30am and thought it wasn't going to take much to get it done.
big mistake! he heard us coming and lead us on a merry chase that lasted a couple hours.
in the final stages of the trailing he swung
around going downwind and we fish hooked around into his path and caught him in the thick cedars at 30 yds.
put a 300 grn 375 thru him and followed it with a 2nd well placed hit that put him down for good.
4 hrs later we had him skinned,quartered and loaded for a ride down off the mesa.
was great fun and alot of hard work but made for a great day. enjoy

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bet that was fun - he is BIG.

Posts: 172 | Location: DAPHNE, ALABAMA | Registered: 26 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome!!
Congrats.
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Fine flick too. Looks like a real BIG set of Horns which should make a nice conversation piece.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Very nice bull
Sounds like it was fun hunt

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Great bull. Tell us more....where did you go? Ranch or outfitter? Tell us about the gun.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
larrys
this is a ranch owner i hooked up w/ late last yr.
the buff are on top of a 4000 acre mesa and have been there for 15 yrs.
the mesa is about 40/60 open and cedar covered
and thou the herd is not wild they are pretty savvy esp the big old bulls.
they come out of the cedars during the rut and then are damn hard to find any other time.
i was within 60 yds of this bull in dec
with a hunter but he didn't put up with any sneaky humans and rocketed out of there.
in dry conditions i tracked him for a couple 1000 yds then lost the trail when he dove off into the thick stuff.
there is another monster 20+ yr old bull in there i have only seen once in 2 months.
and the rancher just bought another 20+ yr old bull to add to the mix.
this is not a drive into the pasture and bang'em
buff hunt and makes for a very challenging hunt
and under these conditions not a guareentee
that the hunt will result in a dead buff.
do i dare tell you that the rifle and backup
(i carry a 375 also)are those terrible model 70
push feeds.
but in the course of the buff killing these past few months we've taken 2 w/bows
1 w/ an 06. 1 w/ a 300 wsm, 1 w/ a 300 ultra,
and 2 w/ 375s. i reccomend the 375 or bigger,
had to dump the one shot w/ the 300wsm as we had bullet failure w/ accubonds and he got very pissed and came hard for the hunter and i from 30 yds, and was convinced in the error of his ways w/ the 375.great stuff and lots of fun
not to mention about 700 lbs of table fare.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VERY cool Ravenr...sounds like a lot of fun...how much does one of those big bulls weigh on the hoof--looks absolutely giant!

Congrats!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fish
i figured this bull would go 1900-2000lbs on the hoof,he was 10-12 yrs old.
even the quarters were all i wanted to wrestle
with the help of another man.
but then again i'm just a tall skinney kinda guy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man I would love to HUNT a buffalo like that! And I did say H U N T . Sounds like you had a great time

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kewl,is it possible to get with in Revolver range????For me that would be 100 yds. or less.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
olbiker
of the 7 bulls killed in the last 2 months
with all the assortment of weapons none were shot over 60 yds out.
most of them in the 30-40 yd range.
and milehigh,i'd been after this bull and the other old grandpa for 8 full hunting days without laying eyes on either

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Looks like fun!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very nice trophy!

~Ann

Posts: 19557 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Raven,

Does this guy offer hunts, do you have that info?

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote