New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Effect of rain on deer movement?
 Login/Join

posted
Befus,

Last November I shot a respectable 8 point at the end of an all day rain/snow mix. It slowed to a wind blown mist when the boy appeared. I say hunt.

Toivo

one of us
posted Hide Post
If Texas whitetails are like Mo. deer, they'll sure move in the rain and I will too. A light rain won't have any effect on their movements and your movements will be quieter,etc. One exception is high wind, makes them jumpy as all the limbs, grass, etc. is moving, and they, I think lose their confidence in their ability to spot danger, making them hyper alert. In this area, the high wind will make them hole up in hedge and evergreen patches for the day.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt NW Texas and have these comments:

(1) When did you start believing weather forecasts, especially in Texas?

(2) Do you think the deer go somewhere, like a warm living room, to stay in out of the weather? They'll be out there whether you are or not.

(3) The forecast chances of precipitation are only 20% (which in West Texas terms is "when pigs fly")

(4) If you delay until December, then your chances of REALLY bad weather increase.

(5) The "rut" (some does in heat) IS on now, but it is just as likely to be stronger in December. Whitetail breeding season in North West Texas lasts through February (where do you think those spotted fawns in November come from?)

(6) This weekend is largely moonless, which most of us prefer for hunting.

By all means, if you've got your hunt booked, take it. By the way, what town in Texas is your hunting closest to?

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
Definately going to hunt. The 5300 acre lease is in Knox
County near the little whistle stop of Truscott, for those who asked.

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
One the very best times I know of to hunt is IMMEDIATELY after the rain quits. Deer seem to pour out then and feed everywhere. I've always tied this post-rain movement to the soft leaves and ground cover that lets them move around quietly. I guess this is also a function of the deer NOT moving as much during a heavy rain, which motivates them to look for food as soon as those conditions pass.
A drizzle doesn't seem to bother them much, but if it's really coming down, I think they move significantly less.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote