New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 Nice Aoudad
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Its been really hectic lately with all of our hunts going on so I have not had a chance to post much but here are a few nice free range rams we took the last couple of days. I hope you all enjoy, I have added a lot more pictures to my website as well.
Happy Hunting

I offer primarily free range hunts and also preserve hunts on 1 million acres across west and southwest Texas for native and exotic game.

www.westtexashunt.com

Please Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/

Posts: 440 | Location: El Paso/ Far West Texas | Registered: 20 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Nice ones, and real Aoudad country too.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, those are really good ones in my book (albeit a very small book).

I've only hunted them once and just got home a few days ago from NM. They really are an awesome, wild and challenging critter. I'm impressed and looking for a way to go back next year.

Well done on some fine aoudad!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The top photo is my ram, shot only just this Saturday past. I was very fortunate to have a very good guide. The hunt was first class. This was my first Aoudad hunt and I learned these rams are very tough. Two shots, first at 402 yds and a second at 365 yds to bring him down. It was so late in the day in such poor light neither the guide nor I were positive we had the ram down. As we could do nothing more at that point we had to leave and return very early the following morning to check. My great guide spotted him, dead, in a fairly hidden spot. The ram had bled copiously but still managed to move another 70 or so yards before expiring completely. Gotta thank Barnes TTSX 180 gn bullets and Mulie Mike for making this hunt possible. If you haven't hunted Aoudad, book a hunt. It's awesome.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice sets of horns.

The first two look like a real nasty
bitch of a place to get 'em out of.

Glad you guys got to enjoy the fun of
doing so.

'06: Kinda long shooting that late in
the day ain't it? Country like that I
reckon they couldn't go far, unless they'd
fallen in a hole someplace.

Damned nice looking animals for sure,
I'm happy for you, all of you. Wish I
was in shape enough to do the same.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Really fine heads, guys. I often chat with aoudad hunters near the state park I volunteer at south of Alamogordo, on the edge of NM Unit 34.
Zeke, were you hunting in the Sacramentos?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
'06: Kinda long shooting that late in
the day ain't it? Country like that I
reckon they couldn't go far, unless they'd
fallen in a hole someplace.

George,
We saw this ram the first day but couldn't stalk in due to wind direction. With further searching over the next two days we couldn't find him again, only the ewes of his herd. The day we found him again Ken, my guide, after a long day hunting elsewhere, decided to check the other side of the big hill on which we first saw this ram. At first we only saw ewes but then he walked into view. The ram was working across a very steep face and the shot was steeply uphill. If my shot was good the ram would have tumbled a long way downhill and been quite retrieveable. As it happened my second shot was the finisher and the ram finally fell in the spot where he remained overnight, pretty much at the same level where we saw him. We had no choice then but to search for the ram the following morning. Luckily neither mountain lions nor coyotes found him first and it all worked out.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding ram Grant!

Congratulatioms!!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding ram Grant!

Outstanding compliment ! Thankyou Jim. Nice to hear from you.
Might catch up again next year at DSC if things work out.
All the best mate.
Grant

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
Outstanding ram Grant!

Outstanding compliment ! Thankyou Jim. Nice to hear from you.
Might catch up again next year at DSC if things work out.
All the best mate.
Grant

So glad to hear your hunt went well; what a great ram!

I really enjoyed my time hunting with Mike's outfit and am looking to
do so again.

It's great to see someone from New Zealand coming here to the states and hunting!

Congrat's!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So glad to hear your hunt went well; what a great ram!

I really enjoyed my time hunting with Mike's outfit and am looking to
do so again.

It's great to see someone from New Zealand coming here to the states and hunting!

Congrat's!

Thankyou Jason. I appreciate the compliment.
Currently I'm at El Paso Airport about to start the homeward journey.
I've hunted a few times in the States and have always enjoyed my hunts here. I have a 2020 Mule Deer hunt booked and will certainly do more hunting in future. Being semi retired now time in not so much an issue. The only real limitation is hunt costs and the impact of exchange rates on that. One thing I will say is I have found the standard of hunt consultants and outfitters a bit spotty. Luckily the good ones, like Mulie Mike, are excellent and a real pleasure to deal with.
Also, it's been a pleasure actually meeting some of the American AR members. What a great bunch of guys. Cheers
Grant

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like somewhere between Marfa, Tex and Presidio..Lots of good rams in that area.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote