New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who is tired of TV hunting shows?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have cable TV and I only get to watch them on TNN and sometimes on ESPN. I get tired of watching the same people consistently shooting huge deer, etc. Watching them is nothing like real hunting, or at least where I am from. Although if I was lucky enough to have that job I don't think I would turn it down. I still watch them if its raining outside and I can't be out hunting or shooting, but thats about it.

Posts: 28 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am glad I am not the only one that is sick of the shows. I got so tired of Turkey and whitetail hunting I cancelled the extra $10.00 for the outdoor channel last month. I must say something in regards to the comments about Craig Boddington. Two weeks ago I was honored to be able to hunt with Craig for hog in Texas. I can not remember having a more enjoyable hunt with better company than I did with him. I have admired Craig all of my life and have spent many hours reading his books throughout my life and I must say that he is a guy with no attitude and was nothing but fun and a regular guy in our camp. I feel privileged to have made such a good friend.

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last one I ever watched, I watched with my wife. The shooter wenet to a whitetail ranch. He took a doe and a buck as follows:

There is a truck at the ranch that bings feed to the deer, same place each time. The deer know the truck and follow it to where the food is dropped off. The shooter set up alongside the road with a handgun. After the truck passed, a doe came along. Bang!

The ranch also has timed feeders. The deer know when to come. The shooter set up at a shooting bench and "waited" until a buck came to the feeder. The buck was shot while standing inside the legs of the timed feeder.

I had to explain to my wife that this is not how people hunt and it is in fact not even hunting, any more than it would be hunting to slaughter one's hogs at the trough with a rifle.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I quit watching any of them. This was after watching maybe three or four different shows where the hunter wouldn't shoot until the game stopped walking, or was in a glade completely void of any trees, branches, etc. If these fellows hunted where I do here in PA, they would never bag an animal. For that matter, if I had waited for the above to happen, I would have bagged exactly one deer in the last 32 years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
I enjoyed them at first, but all the commercials and sitting there for 5 or 8 minutes of actual content is really turning me off.

Bingo. Like most television, mostly advertisements.

I like watching the animals in their natural environment more than the shooting part.

Tom

Posts: 14444 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Turkey hunting is really getting old. I'd say half of all "actual hunting" videos are of turkey hunting.
I would like to see more scenarios of someone going out on public land(where most of us hunt), and finding and stalking game animals.
Some one else mentioned that they'd like to see some simple gunsmithing sections in the show. I would agree whole-heartedly. Simple things that most of us could do like adjusting a trigger, or bedding a rifle. Brownells could be a sponsor-especially if they used their products to do the job.
And yes, no canned hunts on fenced property, unless the hunter is handicapped or something.

Posts: 94 | Location: Tri-Cities, WA | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote