New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arizona Javelina
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been really interested in going after a Javelina for quite some time. I've never hunted them or even hunted AZ before.

Anybody here willing to give some basic info or pointers? I know the tags have to be drawn and that I'm probably too late for this year, but what percent of success do they have on drawing the tag? Is there any particular area that is better than any others?

Like I said, I'm looking for basic info. I've visited the officiaal state site, but I'd like some info of a more personal slant.

Thanks

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
MAC -- post this below on the hog hunting forum as there are a lot of javelina hunters there and a few outfitters actually hang out there as well.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We usually just set up a deer feeder and in a short time a family of javalina will begin camping under it to eat all the corn. the are really easy to sneak up on and I have even kicked one in the butt before while he was feeding along a road. I wouldn't advise this because the get really angry and can turn on a dime. I've heard of them chasing people but I file those stories under "Bull Corn". However, don't let any amount of curiosity convince you to grab a live one. They don't like to be touched.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
You can still put in New Mexico.
JAV-1-102
This is a good hunt.

wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Hiya Mac,

I'm pretty sure that where I chased javelina the season was February, and tags and applications were due several months before (so no banana this year I don't think, I'm afraid), but below is a link to an Apache reservation F&G organization. Short money, pretty area and they were around to be chased. Fancy it wasn't, but again, pretty area it was, and only a couple hours from the AP in Phoenix. Happy to provide any insight for you, if you like. Link below.

Cheers,

KG

http://www.sancarlosapache.com/San_Carlos_Game_and_Fish.htm

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've heard of them chasing people but I file those stories under "Bull Corn". However, don't let any amount of curiosity convince you to grab a live one. They don't like to be touched.

From experience on the hunts I have been running for the past few years, if one is wounded or if you are using a javelina call, and they can figure out where you are at, they will come after you.

Getting out and hunting them by spot and stalk definitely is a lot more interesting than setting in a stand and shooting them. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been around them all my life and have killed more than I can remember. There were a couple of "old hands" in town that worked for my grandfather and I ket them pretty well supplied with javalina meat. I even kept one as a pet for a while until someone who evidentially didn't recognize the "Red Collar and the Bell" as an indication that he was not wild, shot him. His name was "Stinky" and he slept with the dogs and played with them. If I yelled at him he would run away but if I chased him and clapped my hands when he was in the garden or such, he would turn around and pop his teeth and grunt (bark).

I have shot young ones and had them squall. Momma et. al. usually come running but always stopped short of actually chasing. I did have a momma come to the end of the rifle barrel once but only because she didn't see me until then. I told her she needed to run along or I was going to shoot her. When I started talking I guess she figured out that she was a little to close to a hunan being and skeedaddled.

The only real attack I ever remember was one in which a fella had three (two females and a male) in a pen. He went in to feed them one day and they tore him up pretty. He kept mountain lions also so as soon as he could walk again he disposed of the javalinas!

I probably shot my last javalina 20 years ago. Now I just treat them like eccentric old uncles and just watch them do their thing.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi MAC, Javelina can be a very fun hunt here in Arizona. I hunt them every year with a bow and it has become one of my favorites. The draw is fairly easy and happens now twice a year so you have a choice to hunt them in the fall or winter/spring. If not drawn there are usually about a couple thousand leftover tags for the winter hunt that can be bought OTC. As far as area I have hunted them both in the south and middle portion of the state and there are good numbers in most units. I would suggest hunting with a bow if you are an archer, or Handgun as I have found that rifle hunting is too easy, Javelina are very fun to stalk and it is possible to get close. Its a great time of the year to be out here in AZ, winter that is, and its a spot and stalk kind of hunt. If I can give you any more info let me know.

Ron

Ron

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote