New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot an elk yesterday!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well more than one really. My daughter wanted to see real live elk for a change instead of mounts. So I took her on a day trip to Estes Park. Found a few nice ones that I wouldn't mind finding on public land some day.

Even found a pretty nice buck!

I had a great time with the kid shooting animals with the Olympus!

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Chad here are the ones Cody yourself and I shot a couple weeks ago 400+ yards was to far for me.

Looks like you two had a good day. tu2

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a different front, my brother and his son both filled their cow tags in Unit 2 in northwest Colorado. That area always produces a couple of cows every year for my family. I've finally got enough preference points for one of the limited bull tags for that area.

Now if the Navy would just let me be around long enough to do the hunt! LOL

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Chad here are the ones Cody yourself and I shot a couple weeks ago 400+ yards was to far for me.

Looks like you two had a good day. tu2

These were a lot easier to shoot for sure! They started about 20 yards off the road to about 150 yards to the furthest one. They were in the back yards of some houses. My daughter looked at them and said "To those people in the house it must be like having squirrels in your back yard!"

Anyway, this was her first experience with elk or "Fuzzy Jowls" as she affectionately calls them. I think she had a blast.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I surprised there is that much snow on the ground!

Looks like you guys had a nice trip!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
I surprised there is that much snow on the ground!

Looks like you guys had a nice trip!

15 min East of Estes Park on HWY 36 there wasn't any snow. That is where we took the photos of the deer. We even found another herd laying in a old corn field on the way home. I bet they would taste really good!

Plus, I had to stop on the way home so my daughter could take a picture of this strange bird.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Between all the elk and the muley's, I would rather have either of the bucks than the bulls. Especially the buck that was carrying the rack in the second picture.

Looks like you all had a great time.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote