THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Which Eberlestock pack do you use and like?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Eberlestock pack do you use and like?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which of the several varieties of Eberlestock packs do you use and like for mountain hunts?

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Are you looking for a pack with a scabbard or without?

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a scabbard.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Here is my response from another thread:
quote:
I originally purchased the J34, but I ended up exchanging it for the J107.

My gripe with the J34 was that it just seemed too flimsy when in the collapsed "day pack" mode. The J34 has a great suspention system and I tend to think that it would work well when used as a multi day pack(ie, expanded to 4600ci). The problem when using it as a day pack is that the pack becomes deformed when the straps are cinched down.

The J107 is basically the same pack with the addition of a flexible frame panel. The frame panel helps the pack hold its shape when the straps are cinched down in day pack mode. The panel is also supposed to allow the J107 to carry more weight, but I doubt that it makes much difference in the "fully loaded" mode.

I am happy with my J107.

They have a new pack called the "Team Elk". I think that one looks pretty interesting.

I recently purchased an X1A1 to use as a daypack, but I haven't gotten into the field with it yet. I won't say that Eberleestock's packs are better than any of the other top makers(MR, Kifaru, etc.) but after using the scabbard I can't see buying anything other than an Eberleestock pack.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason,
That was my take on them as well. I tried the J34 but was overwhelmed by the size and bulk. I am looking hard at the X1A1 for the reasons you noted.

Any more people out there with experience on these?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a gunslinger 2 on the way that I'm going to try out this fall.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
X1E for me - great day / mountain pack.

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just used H2 gunrunner on a spot and stalk bear hunt and it worked great.
http://eberlestock.com/H2%20Gunrunner.htm

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I have the J107 that I use on multiple overnight hunts. I'm going to purchase the X2 and give it a try this fall.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the BlueWidow and my brother and friend have the Dragonfly. I didn’t want a scabbard, but if I had to buy one again, it would have the scabbard. I have a couple smaller Badlands packs and have a Badlands 4500, but that pack is now for the kids to use when they get older. The Eberlestock beats it hands down.

I’m not sure about what type of hunting you’ll do, but for staying out for +3 days, go big or you’ll regret it. The Gunslinger/X1/X2 and others are day packs.

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA Safari Hunter:
I have the BlueWidow and my brother and friend have the Dragonfly. I didn’t want a scabbard, but if I had to buy one again, it would have the scabbard. I have a couple smaller Badlands packs and have a Badlands 4500, but that pack is now for the kids to use when they get older. The Eberlestock beats it hands down.

I’m not sure about what type of hunting you’ll do, but for staying out for +3 days, go big or you’ll regret it. The Gunslinger/X1/X2 and others are day packs.

Great post. You hit all the main points. The scabbard does take up some room, but the tradeoff as far as ease of carrying your rifle more than makes up for it.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I don't like the rifle scabbard when hunting. Every time you got to sit down and glass or rest, you gotta pull your rifle out. I also found that getting your rifle out of the scabbard quickly, is likely not going to be something that is going to happen quickly.

For packing in a long distance and just making tracks on the trail, it works pretty well.

That's my reason for going with the X2.

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
I don't like the rifle scabbard when hunting. Every time you got to sit down and glass or rest, you gotta pull your rifle out. I also found that getting your rifle out of the scabbard quickly, is likely not going to be something that is going to happen quickly.

For packing in a long distance and just making tracks on the trail, it works pretty well.

That's my reason for going with the X2.

That’s why I went with the BlueWidow. I’ve borrowed my brother’s Dragonfly on a couple hunts before I bought mine. I never used the scabbard because I could not take the rifle out when it was on my back, so I never put it in there. Now after that trip, and after I got a deer on the ground, I found there’s no way to attach the rifle to the BlueWidow because there’s no more room. Without a scabbard you’ll be holding your rifle in your hands the whole time back. I’m planning on buying the scabbard for my pack and the duffle bag. With the scabbard and duffle bag, I’ll be able to pack out camp, plus a deboned deer (if get in a little better shape).

With the smaller bags (Gunslinger/X1/X2..) there’s no way you can pack out a deer in one trip. They’re too small. The BlueWidow collapses down to the size of X1/X2, but opens up about 3xs bigger.

This is a pic of my deer on a NM trip. I shot the deer and had on a Badlands Superday. Had to borrow the Dragonfly to go back and get the cape and back hams. That’s when I stopped using day packs even for day hunts. I hate making two trips.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I don't worry about making the additional trips back in. That's why I have an external pack always in the truck. Plus, I've got other buddies in camp. Not to mention, we always have elk tags which need the additional external packframe.

Besides, the OP didn't state what the exact use of the pack was going to be for.

Graybird

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Graybird and Ca Safari Hunter

You both mentioned having trouble getting your rifles out of the scabbard with the pack on. Just out of curiosity, could you give us an idea of your size and the size of your rifle/scope?

I feel like I can get my rifle out pretty easily and quickly. My rifle is a bolt action with a 22" barrel and a straight tube(20mm) scope. I'm 6'01" with a large frame.

I am wondering what causes the problem for some people in getting their rifle out of the scabbard.

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
5'7" with a 300 WM 24" barrel and 42mm objective.

I think my biggest heartburn was when trying to sit down. Be it on a rock to glass or even a fallen log. I always had to either remove the rifle or even the pack.

That's my main reason for going with the X2. I can carry the rifle with a sling and feel much more comfortable.

If just making boot tracks getting to a hunting area, then the scabbard would work, with the exception of resting time. But, in actual hunting mode, no thanks, I'll carry my rifle slung over my shoulder.

Graybird

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m 6’ and have a 26” barrel Remington 700 with a 40mm Leupold. I “can” get the rifle out, but rounding a corner with something jumping out, there’s no way I could get it out in time. But going in/out for a few miles, when you are not hunting, there’s nothing better than the scabbard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back packs seem to be a hotly debated personal choice. Pretty much every person I used to hunt with in Alaska who was serious about back pack hunting or carrying heavy loads went with a Barneys pack and frame, complete with scabboard.

It seemed like every time we hunted in a different area we would find more likes and dislikes about whatever pack we were using at the time. Really hard to find the perfect pack.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eberlestock makes some great well thought out packs but for flexibility it is hard to beat the X2. I have the scabbard to attach if I want but can use it as a manageable daypack and add pouches or straps to make it a long distance meat hauler certainly capable of hauling out a boned out buck. To maximize its potential you can buy add-ons like the scabbard fanny pack and bow carrier but with those removed it is a handy daypack size. My friends with j series and blue widows need another small pack for short local hunts my X2 does everything from morning turkey hunt to first front quarter out of your elk. My 2nd pack is an exterior frame meat hauler with a flashlight, game bags and a little water for 2 or 3 trips hauling elk. Its only shortcoming is th lack of adjustment to fit taller guys over 6'.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
I got the Just One J34 for myself and the smaller X2 for my tall 14-year-old son. At my age, anything bigger than the J34 is too much. At his, he'll grow into the X2 and eventually probably command my J34.

Of course, we all justify what we have, but I think these are right for us. Wink

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
My favorite pack is a decker I cinch down to my mule.

Posts: 322 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
Plus, I've got other buddies in camp.

Hey! I can see you way down there! This is how our group does it

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
As cool as that picture is, it still doesn't do that hill justice on how steep it was, Ted!

I'll never forget what that ole boy said when we finally made it to the top. "In the 10 years I've been hunting this area, I've never seen anyone bring so much as a deer out of that hell hole, much less an elk. You guys are f'in idiots!"

That's what buddies are for!!!

Graybird

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Hey!

I aint any good at kilin-em but I'm no stranger to work!

Load me up!

That was a good day.....the next day "the big chase" was a good day too

2014 we can start doing it again

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote