New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to go?????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just because it looks as if I might do a bit of travel this fall in the U.S. with a new job....

If I were to put up the following parameters for a whitetail or muledeer hunt, what is your collective opinion as to where to go? And why?

1. Nice but not necessarily the giant trophy.
2. No "trophy fees".
3. Do it yourself or guided or semi guided.
4. Pretty reasonable chance of success.

Yep, I am truly interested in the answers and yes, I would like to hear from people in their different areas of the country describe how and why they have a good deer hunting locale.

Thanks

Jim B.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of State land avaliable here in Ohio. Bowhunting season lasts from Oct 5th to the end of January.
Shotgun the week after Thanksgiving and a early and late Primative Weapons season(Blackpowder). Late the 3 thru 5 (i believe) of January

We do have some nice deer!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say Texas for a management-buck hunt on one of the better ranches....typically a mature buck that isn't an 8-pointer but will score around 120-130 B&C.....usually can also take a doe and maybe a feral hog for between $1500-$2000.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For an inexpensive non-trophy whitetail, stay at home in Alabama. It's hard to find a place with more abundant or less expensive deer hunting.

Western Kentucky is quickly becoming a prime deer hunting spot, and I understand that some public land is available and trespass fees on private lands are not unreasonable.

The Texas Hill Country will offer you the same abundance of deer as Alabama, but few trophies and at no lesser cost than home. No where in South Texas is available at a reasonable price, and even the "management bucks" will cost you as much as a carabou hunt in Canada. Some good whitetails occur in Northwest Texas and the Panhandle. An outfitter or hunt broker who operates there might put you on to a good hunt at a reasonable price.

Several Rocky Mountain states offer abundant public land for Muleys, but Mule Deer numbers have been on a steady decline in most places. Maybe someone in the West can give you a pointer to a local hot spot. Actually, it's easier and sometimes cheaper to bag an elk in several western states.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote