New
Find
Notify
Tools

Story of a 220+ Mule Deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to share with you a buck that I got the pleasure of watching for 3 years of his life. This past September we decided he was at his prime and wanted to hunt him. After many hot days in July, August and September we had found him with a small bachelor group of bucks. We estimated that this buck would score 220+! During the September Kansas muzzleloader season he eluded us for a couple days but finally on the 3rd day of the hunt our hunter was able to connect with the buck not once but twice. Both shots would of anchored any other buck but not this one. He made his escape into a large unharvested corn field. After many days of relentless searching we were unable to find him. Its a shame and a heartbreaker but that's the story of this unbelievable Mule Deer. We will continue to look for him and hopefully he will show up.

These pictures and video will hopefully will show you how big this buck was.

Click on link to watch video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LlGUVIBRpo

Posts: 664 | Location: TX/KS | Registered: 06 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Wow!
Nice buck.
I'd like to hear more of the story, you are sure he's dead?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
where's that heeler?
sounds like they got 2 in him with a big ole'
slow moving smokepole.
we can hope for the best.
didn't they harvest the corn? or
turns some cattle in

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome deer Jeremy, that's too bad!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well he shot him somewhere in the body late evening. Next day we found him very sick and he shot him at about 35 yards facing him head on. Just as he shot, the buck lowered his head and the shot knocked his lower jaw off. That is when he went into the corn. It rained that night we put a dog in the corn the next day but with no luck. We flew several times after that. The corn was harvested a few weeks after that and the farmer saw no signs of him. Unfortunately NR can only use muzzleloader or bow but he shot him with a TC 50 cal. I'm not giving up yet.

One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Man that's tough. I hope you find him.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeremyKS:
Well he shot him somewhere in the body late evening. Next day we found him very sick and he shot him at about 35 yards facing him head on. Just as he shot, the buck lowered his head and the shot knocked his lower jaw off. That is when he went into the corn. It rained that night we put a dog in the corn the next day but with no luck. We flew several times after that. The corn was harvested a few weeks after that and the farmer saw no signs of him. Unfortunately NR can only use muzzleloader or bow but he shot him with a TC 50 cal. I'm not giving up yet.

That hurts! I am so sorry to hear that! If you want help walking sandhills let me know and I'll drive over

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ouch!
hell'ava run of bad luck
maybe one we have bad dreams about
and we all got'em

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeremy - Take Drummond up on his offer! Drum is absolutely one of the most experienced guys you will ever find in the field, period! Hell, he's only guided 23 muleys over 200" B&C.

Obviously if the guy shot his jaw off, the deer's dead! As you know, I too have hunted that same type country in eastern Colorado for 16 yrs. I'm surprised he would have left the corn-field, very surprised actually!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great deer. I hope you can find him before the mice and the sun ruin the antlers.

Posts: 135 | Location: sw kansas | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry but what it sounds like is that he gut shot it the first time(somewhere in the body?) and then blew off his jaw the second time. Either bad or hasty shooting on a buck like that. That .50 cal. should have dropped or anchored him on the first shot if it was worth a crap. Don't understand the second shot , what the hell. It's a .50 cal. It should have blown his jaw off and continued into his chest,even if the bullet moved after going thru the jaw. Don't get it. Waste of a great deer. Shit happens. Bad luck or bad shooting.Just my 2 cents.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great deer! Keep us posted

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kingd,
I think about those two shots everyday. Yes the 1st shot must of been too far back. I honestly never positively identified where it hit but the way he acted after the shot makes me think gut. The second shot baffles me why that deer didn't go down it was more less head on and in the jaw, why it didn't go any further I don't know. I know its not the prettiest story but thought I would share anyways. I will hopefully have a dead head to post sometime.
Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JeremyKS, not critizing, just wondering how the last shot didn't hit the deer. Then again bullets can do some strandge things. Only thing I can think is that when it hit his jaw it deflected it just enough to miss the deer. Just w/ a .50 you'd think it'd carry a little bit straighter. Obviuosly it didn't or you'd have your trophy. Either that or one badass deer. Good hunting.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote